New coaster name hints

UncleHenry

So Ryan said that the signs give clues, some misleading. I know most people have picked out the "Ride Sally Ride" clue for Mustang as a possible name, but what other clues can be found?

Well, I'm a sucker for figuring out clues (especially in movies like Saw), so I'm going to take a stab at creating an alternate theory. Because of this, I am going to ignore the Ride Sally Ride sign, as we've talked enough about it.

Now based on these signs, and Cedar Fair's streak of Western theming, I'm thinking of ideas based on the west. Slippery When Wet I assume is a hint at the splashdown. Run For The Hills I assume is a hint at the many hills of a hypercoaster. Steep Incline Ahead hinting at it being one of the tallest coasters in the park.

That leaves Ride Sally Ride and Move Slowly (Do Not Disturb) as possible name hints. As I mentioned before, I will ignore the Sally sign. I started thinking about something that you seriously wouldn't want to disturb in the west. I was actually born out west, and one of the things I was terrified of disturbing was... a snake. Granted, there are a good amount of animals in the west that you'd seriously want to not disturb, but another thing I see as a hint makes me lean more towards this idea.

"The Park Strikes Back in 2009"

What phrase is commonly associated with a snake attack?

Finally, I think a snake themed name would be great for this ride. Don't some snakes SWIM ACROSS THE TOP OF WATER?

People often look at the big print in signs for clues, but it's often in the small print. The Park Strikes Back makes me think this will be a snake name of some sort. What kind of snake, I have no idea.

Or maybe I'm looking too much into this, but hey, I love The Mole and Lost on ABC, and we all know how clues are hidden through those shows.

So... King Cobra Returns anyone?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Water Moccasin and King Cobra , are both very good names for this ride =) and they both fit well.

Assuming that the red track at the Clermont plant are for this ride, would that still work with a cobra or a water moccasin? Any snake experts?

Interesting.

I'll be honest. The name aspect is virtually the only part of this coaster that had me guessing. I've had a fun time pondering what it could be.

I doubt they'd go the King Cobra route again... at least I hope they wouldn't. Plus King Cobras strike me as being more African/Asian in theme. A King Cobra doesn't seem to fit Rivertown in my mind.

But it could very well be a snake theme... snakes spook horses, they also strike.

Rattlesnake

Moccasin

Copperhead

But then again, something else that strikes is lightning.

Shaggy

But it could very well be a snake theme... snakes spook horses, they also strike.

Rattlesnake

Moccasin

Copperhead

Shaggy

I like the name Copperhead the best! And those snakes usually have brownish/reddish coloring to them so that would be perfect back in Rivertown! I would choose any of those names over Mustang any day. My brother thought of the name Sidewinder too....that would be cool! I hope we find out something definite soon!

~Ash

This reminds me of everyone trying to figure out the name of CP's newest coaster before they announced Maverick.

Lightning...interesting indeed.

Please, no King Kobra name being brought back. I'd rather see The Bat name used again first.

From ODNR:

Ohio has only three species of venomous snakes, two of which have rattles at the end of the tail (Eastern Massauga & Timber Rattlesnake). The third species is the Northern copperhead. Although many believe the water moccasin occurs in Ohio, it actually ranges no farther north than the Dismal Swamp in southeastern Virginia in the eastern portion of its range, and extreme southern Indiana and Illinois, in the western part of its range. Water moccasins are not native to Ohio.

So, I would say Copperhead is a great possibility.

I like it better than rattlesnake, or massauga, I don't even know how to SAY that one!!!

And what accompanies lightning? Thunder!

So it can be deduced that it's the return of Thunderbolt Express, aka The Demon Strikes Back! And The Crypt is now a holding area for the figures that will be placed in the station of the new coaster. :D

But seriously, I'm thinking Mustang based on the Ride Sally Ride sign, but this could be specifically to throw us off because that name has been used on this site for quite a while.

I like the snake idea, snakes have a reputation of being slippery which ties into another sign. Going with the snake theme, Rattler or Sidewinder. CF already has Sierra Sidewinder at Knott's, so they can easily start using that animal since they've worn out variations of "Hawk" at their parks (Firehawk, Nighthawk, Thunderhawk... hey, that brings us back to Thunder! :o). But with a Sidewinder relatively close at Hersheypark, who knows? (I know, Terpy, someone knows but they ain't sayin!)

"Oh, I wish I was a silly, slippery snake.

Oh, I wish I was a silly, slippery snake.

Oh I'd slither across the floor and I'd slip under the door

Oh, I wish I was a silly, slippery snake."

1) Yes, lightning strikes, but in keeping with the western theme, why would they use something that happens everywhere?

2) If the theme is a western snake, why use a snake found in Ohio?

Because Rivertown is not western themed. That's a common mistake people make when describing Rivertown. It was actually originally themed to primitive life on the banks of the Ohio River.

Another aspect to all of this involves the recently leaked specs. The exit side of the station is on the Rivertown side. So the exit will likely take people through one of the existing Rivertown buildings not currently in use. I'd guess the Mining Co building would become a souvenir/photo shop that people pass through after riding.

So the coaster could very well have a mining, or gold-rush theme. Gold is something that get's "struck."

BTW... how does this... if at all, affect employees lunching at the former Oscar's? And what is Oscar's called these days?

Shaggy

Two things:

1) Yes, lightning strikes, but in keeping with the western theme, why would they use something that happens everywhere?

2) If the theme is a western snake, why use a snake found in Ohio?

The western theme is just a guess based on other stuff they've done.

It sort of mixes with the Rivertown theme, but a little different.

I would hope that they'd keep it "local" if they choose an animal name, and the ones that have been mentioned are intimidating enough!

A friend of a friend of a lady who used to be friends with some boy with a rock in his shoe (now you know the credibility that this begins with) said that the western themed facade buildings in an area of Geauga Lake were going to be dismantled and loaded on a truck bound for Cincinnati later in the year for their new "attraction." The info seems reasonable enough (though never been to GL to know if they had a western-themed area)- but the person who remarked that had never been to Kings Island to know that there was a Rivertown area. This was volunteered by an individual who went to GL auction as a spectator and had asked the question of "what's happening with this stuff?" So- based on that I concur with the Western-themed/name thoughts.

He said that man who told him had been told the information while he was sitting on his grandfathers lap in a bar. According to Gary Burbank (700 WLW) that makes it legit, right?

I dont' write the news, I just report it.

(as a side note, did anyone that frequents this board go to the auction?)

A friend of a friend of a lady who used to be friends with some boy with a rock in his shoe (now you know the credibility that this begins with) said that the western themed facade buildings in an area of Geauga Lake were going to be dismantled and loaded on a truck bound for Cincinnati later in the year for their new "attraction." The info seems reasonable enough (though never been to GL to know if they had a western-themed area)- but the person who remarked that had never been to Kings Island to know that there was a Rivertown area. This was volunteered by an individual who went to GL auction as a spectator and had asked the question of "what's happening with this stuff?" So- based on that I concur with the Western-themed/name thoughts.

He said that man who told him had been told the information while he was sitting on his grandfathers lap in a bar. According to Gary Burbank (700 WLW) that makes it legit, right?

LOL

Any chance this person sells Dippin Dots?

And what accompanies lightning? Thunder!

So it can be deduced that it's the return of Thunderbolt Express, aka The Demon Strikes Back! And The Crypt is now a holding area for the figures that will be placed in the station of the new coaster. :D

But seriously, I'm thinking Mustang based on the Ride Sally Ride sign, but this could be specifically to throw us off because that name has been used on this site for quite a while.

I like the snake idea, snakes have a reputation of being slippery which ties into another sign. Going with the snake theme, Rattler or Sidewinder. CF already has Sierra Sidewinder at Knott's, so they can easily start using that animal since they've worn out variations of "Hawk" at their parks (Firehawk, Nighthawk, Thunderhawk... hey, that brings us back to Thunder! :o). But with a Sidewinder relatively close at Hersheypark, who knows? (I know, Terpy, someone knows but they ain't sayin!)

"Oh, I wish I was a silly, slippery snake.

Oh, I wish I was a silly, slippery snake.

Oh I'd slither across the floor and I'd slip under the door

Oh, I wish I was a silly, slippery snake."

The thunder rolls

And the lightnin' strikes

Another love grows cold

On a sleepless night

As the storm blows on

Out of control

Deep in her heart

The thunder rolls

- Garth Brooks

Hmmm....

Could "Villian" be recycled? CF has been known to use, and re-use already trademarked, or copyrighted names...

The signs appear to have a "branded" script to them.

Shaggy

Didn't even think about that!!! Shaggy your on to something.

Well if we stick with a Western Theme, King Cobra doesnt fit. Most feared snake in the west? Rattlesnakes, which are a type of Viper. So how about Steel Viper or Iron Viper?

In keeping with the Rivertown theme, what do us folks on the Ohio River and especially back in the hills like to make? Moonshine. Another name for Moonshine? White Lightning. How about White Lightning Express or some variation?

And last but not least the Mustang clue. CF is arleady putting in the Poney Express at KBF, so we could see a recycle or also something along the lines of, The Wild Stalion. Just my thoughts kids.

Well if you go the Burbank rout, then we should know every thing about this new fangled thingy. Because of the journalistic creed: Your right to know supersedes your right to exist.