New Water Park Resort delays meeting with City

There was some news about the Great Wolf Lodge in the News Brief section of the Local News section in the Cincinnati Enquirer. Here is the link to it online. Essentially, they have asked the city of Mason for an extension of the planned meeting until January, This is the second time since October that they have asked for an extension. The short article cited certain "open issues" with Paramount`s Kings Island. I can only imagine that those issues deal with the campground, and whether or not to relocate it as well as if PKI will sell the land to Great Wolf Lodges or lease it. Just thought I`d post this to update everyone since this thing has been out of the discussions and news for awhile.

I think I heard that losing the campground is the big issue here. Many visitors to PKI every year go camping, and if they take out the campground for Great Wolf, they might lose a lot of peeps. I'd guess the delay is because PKI wants to maintain a campground, possibly relocating the existing facilities east.

Another interesting option: the old College Football Hall of Fame building was torn down this year. Galbreath Field is also supposed to come down soon. I wonder who is redevloping this land?

I wonder if Great Wolf could use that land. That land is still extremely close to the park. I could imagine why the campgroung would be a big sticking point. I don`t think the lodge will be ready by the end of the 2005 season if things are eventually ironed out in January. There simply wouldn`t be enough time to build everything.

After all the hype, it would look bad for all parties involved if The Great Wolf Lodge doesn't materialize. Maybe Ryan can negotiate a 90% room discount for PKIC members if the lodge is successfully built. :D

Have a great off season!

Italian Chef

:chef:

90%? If you've got a PKIC shirt, you stay for free!!! :D

Nah, it'll be expensive... for all of us.

I am sure the "open issues" with PKI aren't all about land. In the summer, you are gonna have two competing water parks. One indoors, and one outdoors. I am sure there are some reciprocal agreements in the works, as to who can go to Great Wolf when they paid for PKI and vice versa, as well as some package deals. I am sure the water issue that came up last spring will come up again, since another water park, probably will need another 50,000 gallons of water each day.

Actually, the location of the PKI campground is close to the highway. Although a direct view is blocked by the Showace Cinemas and Kings Island Resort and Conference Center. They probably are discussing issues like described above, who will have access to it (although it would probably be only for guests staying at the resort, but they might offer discounts to season pass holders). It will certainly be interesting to see what develops. After seeing the one in Sandusky this summer, which seemed to be doing a pretty good business, I would imagine PKI would want the resort to be built as it would probably bring in guests. However, they probably don`t want to also loose their campground. If this is built, then there will be three waterparks within a ten minute drive of each other!

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome article... this is the first "actual" indication that Great Wolf Lodge is in fact looking to build it's resort around the PKI area. Although I'm not so sure that the "open issues" are dealing with the campground, construction and land clearing is already happening where the hall of fame used to be. I'm not so convinced that this is where the problems begin, however, you all could very well be correct. One question though, if Great Wolf Lodge did build their resort, would the lifeguards or employees for that matter, be considered PKI employees?? Or would they be on the payroll of the seperate company?

It is my understanding that PKI has no ties to the former location of Galbraith field or the former College Football Hall of Fame. Additionally, if the Great Wolf Lodge is built, I would assume it woould be operated by Great Wolf Lodges and not PKI. Therefore all lifeguards and employees would be employees of Great Wolf Lodges and not PKI.