Kings Island Podcasting?

JAHill

I took note yesterday on how many coaster sites on the internet along with park sites have podcast. Which brought me to wonder a simply-can-be-answered question. Has Kings Island or KICentral ever gotten a podcast?

Really, I have been bored over my summer and I may decide to start one.

Both Kings Island, and KIC do not currently have a podcast.

To be honest, there isn`t really enough "news" developments on Kings Island to provide an entertaining podcast that can be released with any regularity. Its slightly different with podcasts like over on Coasterbuzz, where they are covering the entire amusement park industry.

We actually toyed with the idea a few years ago and were very much encouraged to do it by the park, but when Coasterbuzz launched theirs, I wasn't impressed with the level it was on. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to theirs but am not impressed with it as a show and at the time I was worried that KIC's wouldn't be much better.

We could team up with other Cedar Fair park fan sites and make one big podcast (since I doubt any of the individual sites would have enough to talk about their park). Each site could have their own podcasting team and they would trade shows back and forth or just have news from all parks in every show.

Just a thought.

I would have to agree the Coasterbuzz podcast is rather dry and not very entertaining. While I have subscribed to their podcast and have listened to them for over six months, I would have to say that it is very much like watching paint dry. I know that with the right personalities that that type of podcast format and interests would be quite entertaining, I am surprised that ACE doesn't involve themselves with such a project.

Content wouldn't be much of an issue. There are plenty of things to talk about just pulled from the forums. It'd have to be a monthly thing, though.

Which is EXACTLY what I was about to say.

I'm going to head on over to MyPodcast and create a 'Guinea Pig' Podcast to see how it works out.

Content wouldn't be much of an issue. There are plenty of things to talk about just pulled from the forums. It'd have to be a monthly thing, though.

But do you have decent equipment and software to pull off a decent recording?? A lot of podcasts I've heard are crappy quality that make them hard to listen to...

As for the C-Buzz podcasts, I am actually a fan (Terpy, don't hate me!! :o ), but my biggest problem with them is that sometimes their approach is a little blase...i.e. claiming not a lot of news during certain weeks, when actually, there's tons of news!! Also, a lot of times on a news story they'll just skimp past on really talking about anything indepthly, where there could be a lot more commentary if they so desired.

But they do talk a lot about the business/legal implications of things going on in the industry, which interests me as a business/legal professional, and the host seems to intimate that he has industry contacts, which he'll reference from time to time, which is also interesting for someone who is NOT an insider, like, indeed, many even on this site are!

But do you have decent equipment and software to pull off a decent recording?? A lot of podcasts I've heard are crappy quality that make them hard to listen to...

I don't even know what kind of equipment you'd need. That's not much of an issue. If we were to do it, the sponsors would pay for the equipment.

I agree that most pod casts I have heard I would have rather watched paint dry. But those are ones that usually just have one person doing all the commentary and seem to be reading their notes with little enthusiasm of the topic they where discussing.

The ones that I have enjoyed had 3-4 regular commentators each show with a couple periodical commentators. They divided the topics up and give each commentator so much time to discuss their topic while the others offer serious/comical anecdotal comments to keep it interesting. Example if one of the topics was merchandise the commentator may be someone that enjoys shopping and gives listeners tips on what’s new in the stores games and so forth. Another one could get into food and beverages and discuss the food options, bar areas, quality, and reports of sampling of the items.

Other ideas would be

Rides

Park Maintenance

Merchandise

Food & Beverages

Tips and Tricks (including helpful Touring tips)

Entertainment

Lodging

I think splitting it up to several commentators usually allows someone who may be interested in that topic to get more insight because they are interested in it which comes across to the listeners more insightful and entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...
I am surprised no one has mentioned In The Loop. The coastercrew really know how to put on a podcast. I am an avid listener to their podcasts. I prefer their Guide to the Midway podcasts.

Yeah, that's the best example yet. In the Loop is definitely one of the most professional sounding ones. I've been a guest on Clint's show several times.