Hamilton County Fair Sags

I don't know if I would consider Kings Island a big competitor to the Hamilton County Fair. Entertainment options have vastly grown with technological advancements, especially the TV, DVD, internet, video games, etc. Heck, I would say some other surrounding county fairs as competition.

I've been to the fair a few times over the past several years. There are some neat exhibits that showcase the history of Cincinnati and the county, such as historic transit buses. Fair admission includes rides (though there are mornings-early afternoons where there is no admission charge/rides extra) - which make fairs a bit seedy, IMO. The rides attract visitors... but are they right audience? Do they really care about farm/agricultural/arts exhibits?

As to the future of the fair, both sides (for and against relocation to Crosby Twp.) make good arguments. Having the fair in its present location makes it accessible, especially with Metro routes serving it. But the surrounding area is also in decline. Moving to the west would be of more interest to those interested in fairs, but also somewhat out of reach. I'd prefer to stay in Carthage.

Obviously, urban sprawl is having a negative affect on some county fairs, no doubt urban in counties where farmland is minimal. Some other counties, like Butler, Warren, and Clermont still have popular, successul fairs, though are being innundated by sprawl.

You could always come up to the Ohio State Fair.

Come enjoy our new attraction, "GangLand"

Learn all the newest gang signs, and watch your wife clutch her purse and your arm on the way to the car!!!!

LOL

I know how some aspects of fairs can make you cringe, but rarely have I felt unsafe, especially at the OH State Fair. They've had metal detection there for a few years now.