09 coaster footings.

Phantom Theater

I would presume it was just to keep them filled to keep them from filling with water, animals, or other debris....

And to answer your second question: Yes.

But this is the best example I could find with the limited number of supports available:

http://www.kiextreme.com/gallery/albums/pr...08/IMG_2516.jpg

http://www.rcdb.com/ig2662.htm?picture=3

Thosecut outs in the footings are to allow for steel from the support column to be sunk below the top of the footing. When they pour the expansive grout between the top of the footing and the base plate of the support, all the gaps between this steel insert and the footing cut out are filled in. This steel insert helps make the footing and steel support act monolithically and transfer the forces from the support to the footing and into the ground.

IMG_6979.jpg

Above are two images of Firehawk supports in KI`s parking lot showing this steel insert.

Thosecut outs in the footings are to allow for steel from the support column to be sunk below the top of the footing. When they pour the expansive grout between the top of the footing and the base plate of the support, all the gaps between this steel insert and the footing cut out are filled in. This steel insert helps make the footing and steel support act monolithically and transfer the forces from the support to the footing and into the ground.

IMG_6979.jpg

Above are two images of Firehawk supports in KI`s parking lot showing this steel insert.

Ok,that was very informative.Thanks

No, thanks.

Terpy, who had to write long sentences about behavior over and over in primary and secondary school...and I bet you can guess why...(Some hints...talking, sarcasm, being "sassy," and my favorite: Indolency...)

Terpy being sarcastic, who would have thought. My elementary experience was with a notoriously mean teacher who would make us write multiplication tables from 3 x 3 all the way to 9 x 9 various times. The top punishment of the class was 100 times a piece. (It took approximately 4 hours.)

That was a nice copy and paste job. It's easy to count the number of times you hit the "c" button, but would you have bothered if you had to write it? Why bother to type it? It's a good word, yes, but what is the point?

Anyway...

That was a very technically worded answer. While I like that, wouldn't "the inserts beef it up" have sufficed. ;)

(Sorry, I couldn't resist, and maybe I should have.)