LIFEGUARDS SAVE SWIMMER AT CONEY ISLAND

NEWS:

KI Games emplyees dish out hundreds of prizes to winning guests all over the park!

Yay...they were doing their job. I had to jump in to get a kid at my summer day camp because the life guards are too busy reading a book, sleeping, or tanning on their chairs.

NEWS:

KI Games emplyees dish out hundreds of prizes to winning guests all over the park!

Yay...they were doing their job. I had to jump in to get a kid at my summer day camp because the life guards are too busy reading a book, sleeping, or tanning on their chairs.

Have to agree with ya there.

Next we'll see Fireman puts out fire, construction worker puts up building, UDF employee serves malt.

Also, a man lives on for the rest of his life due to the lifeguards' efforts.

While hundreds and hundreds more Kings Island patrons suffer noise pollution while games employees call out their loud siren songs in pursuit of nickels for Mr. Kinzel.

The first is news (though I bet it happens more than we know). The second is an every day occurrence when the park is open.

Also, a man lives on for the rest of his life due to the lifeguards' efforts.

While hundreds and hundreds more Kings Island patrons suffer noise pollution while games employees call out their loud siren songs in pursuit of nickels for Mr. Kinzel.

The first is news (though I bet it happens more than we know). The second is an every day occurrence when the park is open.

Thousands of people are saved at hospitals and clinics every day... and just in the US.

The first is sensationalism by a media outlet. And if the first is not an every day occurrence (that a life guard comes to someones assistance) then it should be.

Guest kwindshawne

I like the positive news and think we need more of it. Maybe if the media focused on the good instead of the bad, we'd all be better off.

I don't mind it one bit and think it should be recognized.

NEWS:

As being a former fireman/paramedic, I can say the Life Guards at Coney are the most highly trained I have ever encountered.

The CI Life Guards are true professionals!

It is very stressfull in a near-death situations and only due to their extensive training is that genrtleman still alive.

Hardly comparable to game employees or working at UDF!

Kudos to the Life Guards.

pilotank

NEWS:

As being a former fireman/paramedic, I can say the Life Guards at Coney are the most highly trained I have ever encountered.

It is very stressfull in a near-death situations and only due to their extensive training is that genrtleman still alive.

pilotank

Missed the point there man.

I have two buddies that are Paramedic's for Grady and one that is a Paramedic for Chilren's. I certainly know the stress they are under. I'd guess that they save a couple lives (and lose some) most shift. I think that only one of them ever received recognition in the news. (And that was for responding the the Brian Nichols Courthouse shootings.)

What the article above is about it sensationalisim.

I know a former Coney Lifeguard pretty well and she described to me the training they go through and it is much more intense than Kings Islands. I know this because she is a KI lifeguard now. While this is just an instance of them doing their job, how often do you see a lifeguard in action at a water park? I've never seen it myself and albeit its pretty rare.

I like the positive news and think we need more of it. Maybe if the media focused on the good instead of the bad, we'd all be better off.

I agree with you. You don't see much positive news these days.

Woofer, maybe the news should cover the EMT's and Paramedics and such. Unfortunately, the only way they'll get coverage is if someone dies.

I agree with you. You don't see much positive news these days.

Woofer, maybe the news should cover the EMT's and Paramedics and such. Unfortunately, the only way they'll get coverage is if someone dies.

And then there is the potential that they are disiplined or fired for the errors.

NEWS:

pilotank

Missed the point there man.

I have two buddies that are Paramedic's for Grady and one that is a Paramedic for Chilren's. I certainly know the stress they are under. I'd guess that they save a couple lives (and lose some) most shift. I think that only one of them ever received recognition in the news. (And that was for responding the the Brian Nichols Courthouse shootings.)

What the article above is about it sensationalisim.

No you missed the point.

Their actions were extraordinary.

Webster's defines a hero as:

1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: ie. He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.

These Life Guards risked their own lives to save another.

Very worthy of being covered in a positve light by the Enquirer.

pilotank

No you missed the point.

Their actions were extraordinary.

Webster's defines a hero as:

1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: ie. He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.

These Life Guards risked their own lives to save another.

Very worthy of being covered in a positve light by the Enquirer.

pilotank

They Did Their Job...

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

job1 Audio Help /dʒɒb/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[job] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, jobbed, job·bing, adjective

–noun 1. a piece of work, esp. a specific task done as part of the routine of one's occupation or for an agreed price: She gave him the job of mowing the lawn.

2. a post of employment; full-time or part-time position: She was seeking a job as an editor.

3. anything a person is expected or obliged to do; duty; responsibility: It is your job to be on time.

4. an affair, matter, occurrence, or state of affairs: to make the best of a bad job.

5. the material, project, assignment, etc., being worked upon: The housing project was a long and costly job.

6. the process or requirements, details, etc., of working: It was a tedious job.

7. the execution or performance of a task: She did a good job.

I am stepping in on this one. Yes, it is a part of their job. We get that. However, I find it rude someone would want to downplay saving someone's life.

I teach CPR and First Aid regularly. However, out of all the people I have trained (and there have been hundreds) very few have ever had to put their skills into action.

Yes, being able to dispense lifesaving skills is a part of the job. Heck, I am going back to school to be a nurse and will be saving lives too. However, doing CPR is not a regular occurence. My friends who are paramedics state they only employ CPR a couple times a week- and those people are in the thick of the critically injured. CPR is hard work and not all people have the strength to do it properly. For that man, that lifeguard is his hero. I think it deserves to be noted.

For my news viewing, I'd rather see a man's life got saved at the pool instead of someone being eviserated by the intake at the bottom...

Rant done.

• 4 weeks later...
NEWS:

Standing and talking on a microphone is hardly comparable to saving a life.

Media Sensationalism? Give me a break Woofer. I bet if this was in Atlanta you would be praising the lifeguards and jumping up and down for them and talking about how they are number one and I'm sure you probably know a few and have the inside scoop on lifeguards. However, a little reminder of the good that can come from well trained people doing their job and saving a life is not media sensationalism, in fact its even rare that you hear about folks like this. For the past year I have been working on a photo story assignment covering the daily job duties of the Cincinnati Police Force. These gentleman and women are a class act and do a lot for this city, yet they are hardly recognized on a large scale. In the multimedia and galleries I've made about the story it praises them a lot for the things they do, and every day they are extraordinary things done when people are "just doing their job." However, I guess since its their usual job they don't deserve praise every now and then . . . just media sensationalism, unless its in Atlanta.

NEWS:

Standing and talking on a microphone is hardly comparable to saving a life.

Media Sensationalism? Give me a break Woofer. I bet if this was in Atlanta you would be praising the lifeguards and jumping up and down for them and talking about how they are number one and I'm sure you probably know a few and have the inside scoop on lifeguards. However, a little reminder of the good that can come from well trained people doing their job and saving a life is not media sensationalism, in fact its even rare that you hear about folks like this. For the past year I have been working on a photo story assignment covering the daily job duties of the Cincinnati Police Force. These gentleman and women are a class act and do a lot for this city, yet they are hardly recognized on a large scale. In the multimedia and galleries I've made about the story it praises them a lot for the things they do, and every day they are extraordinary things done when people are "just doing their job." However, I guess since its their usual job they don't deserve praise every now and then . . . just media sensationalism, unless its in Atlanta.

*** Talk About Pulling a Topic Out of The Blue.....

I have two buddies that are Paramedics. I have a Buddy that is a Trauma Nurse and one that is an ER Doc. I know a couple Firemen and a couple Police Officers.

They save folk every day. Maybe I've missed it but their actions in the news paper every day?

<P.S. - One was in the paper/TV for responding to the Brian Nichols Courthouse killings.>