The Official Diamondback Thread

teenageninja

I would look for most vertical construction to be done by the time Halloween Haunt rolls around and for it all to be complete at the end of October except for the parts that cross over the midway in Rivertown. I dont seem them finishing those until the park is closed for good, because more than likely the midway will get torn up from the heavy machinery erecting the steel. So they will have to replace and reorganize that midway somewhat for 09

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an old saying about Coral and Milk Snakes, both of which are black/red/yellow striped. It's to help identify them by the placing of their stripes

Coral snakes are highly poisonous... "If red touches yellow, you're a dead fellow"

Milk snakes are non-venomous... "If red touches black, you're OK, jack."

Already said that.

Looks like cross braces are up...

OMG.jpg

Yes those were installed later in the day on the 6th. I noticed that when I went back to look at the model again. They actually were doing something with a crane behind the annoucement while it was going on.

Can some one explain to me whats the point of the splash down if it does not get you wet? Is it just a neat way to slow the ride down?

I'd imagine that it creates a pretty cool sensation in that it'll seem like you're heading right into the water, when you 'spalsh down' you hear the water splashing..yet you don't get wet.

Can some one explain to me whats the point of the splash down if it does not get you wet? Is it just a neat way to slow the ride down?

I'd imagine that it creates a pretty cool sensation in that it'll seem like you're heading right into the water, when you 'spalsh down' you hear the water splashing..yet you don't get wet.

It's also a great visual for people just watching the ride. From a rider's perspective, the splash down probably won't be noticeable, but it will look really cool to observers.

This is going to be one of those visually "artistic" coasters that you have crowds of people just standing around watching it run...like TTD at CP or Sheikra at BGT.

Also a lot of people don't like to get wet at amusement parks. In our digital age it may be an afterthought on a ride to say "Oh my iPod may get ruined." Also I along with alot of other people don't like walking around in wet socks and or pants.

Nothing will kill your feet faster in the day than walking around with wet socks and shoes. Good way to end a day quickly

[Harrison Ford Impression]Wet socks... I HATE wet socks![\Harrison Ford Impression]

But seriously, there's nothing I can't stand more than walking around in wet socks. A wet shirt can keep you nice and cool on a hot day but wet socks just annoy me; totally uncomfortable.

My family and I were down at Disney World for Tropical Storm Alberto back in 2006. It rained almost all afternoon three separate days. One of them I was smart enough to wear sandals but the other two days, you guessed it, I was walking around in wet socks with wet shoes. If it wasn't for the fact that I was at Disney World, I probably would've been super p***ed off lol

(side story: Our first ride on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was taken during a good amount of rain. We went to lunch right afterward. When we were done eating the rain had let up so we decided to get back in line for BTMRR to ride it without rain. Well wouldn't you know it that the second the train pulled into the station, it started raining again. So as we left the station and went up the first lift hill, everyone on the coaster was scrambling to put on their rain coats. It was quite humorous.)

^It helps slow down the train.

Actually it would pretty much stop the train. No water will ever touch the coaster. The coaster will not cause the "splashdown". It will go off when the coaster hits a sensor.

And why you won't get wet is because getting hit with water when you going approx. 55 mph does not feel good.

^It helps slow down the train.

Actually it would pretty much stop the train. No water will ever touch the coaster. The coaster will not cause the "splashdown". It will go off when the coaster hits a sensor.

And why you won't get wet is because getting hit with water when you going approx. 55 mph does not feel good.

Actually if you look at the video, it's only about 20 mph. And the train does casue the splash down due to fins that go into the water, which cause a splash and a brake. Or at least that's how I understand it.

So, does this coaster compare at all to Maverick?

If you're into car racing, I'd compare the Millenium Force to NASCAR, and Maverick to Formula 1. The MF is very fast, smooth, lots of airtime-and the main movement is up and down-with big banking turns. The Maverick is also fast-and pretty smooth, but much more twists and turns, and inversions crazy acceleration and you feel like your contantly changing directions in 3 dimensions.

I love them both, but the Diamondback will be much more like MF. This is really what KI needed. I wrote them a manifesto of sorts a while back after a stinker of a visit (in the PKI days)...the main point was that they have the real estate and need to use it...primarily by putting in a long, fast, steel coaster that goes through the woods. It took the park changing hands-but I feel like my plea has been answered!

I've ridden in a NASCAR Cup racecar before, and if that's a smooth ride, then I'd hate to feel a rough ride ;)

It's also a great visual for people just watching the ride. From a rider's perspective, the splash down probably won't be noticeable, but it will look really cool to observers.

This is going to be one of those visually "artistic" coasters that you have crowds of people just standing around watching it run...like TTD at CP or Sheikra at BGT.

I would think this will become one of KI's "signature" photo ops, just like the fountains with the Tower in the background. Everyone will have a pic of Diamondback's splashdown in their photo albums.

I'm at the park right now and they added new black signs that have the Diamondback logo and a random stat like 10 drops or 80 mph. I emailed the pictures to my brother so hopefully he'll be able to load them before I get home around midnight tonight