Trip to Kings Dominion

I am a big fan of King's Dominion. I am already looking forward to going back next year and hitting up the new rides.

Have bunches of fun for me!

Dominator

Volcano the Blast Coaster (Nathan's second favorite ride after Maverick)

Anaconda (Looping Coaster with an underground tunnel)

Their Crypt- the visuals are just really good.

Flight of Fear (the effects and lighting were better than KI)

Rebel Yell at Sunset

Grizzly at Dark (It's like a small, rougher version of The Beast)

Back Lot Stunt Coaster (seems to run a little better than KI's)

Avalanche (Just different- an old coaster)

Flying Eagles

Ricochet (wild mouse)

Hurler (ROUGH! I hurt myself on this, but everyone likes different things)

My trip report from there: http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13231

we passed it....and i guess my parents changed plans AGAIN...looks lke we are going to KD.

If you plan on riding Dominator go to it first thing as the queue fills up fast & moves slowly even with three trains going.I would AVOID Hurler like the plauge,it's unbearably rough & just not worth standing in line for even if it's a walk on.

Avalanche seems to be running only one train lately from what I heard,I didn't ride it on last month's trip but if things go according to plan I may make it to the park again with my sister & her kids on tuesday so I'll take a spin & see if they've gotten the other trains running yet.

Hurler- the cars don't track well. I bashed my head on my nboyfriend's shouler in the first turn.

Not the same rough as SOB, but rough none the less.

Keep your head leaned into the curves and just watch yourself is all I have to say.

With that said, I did like Hurler (after I figured out how to not let myself get hurt).

Hurler- the cars don't track well. I bashed my head on my nboyfriend's shouler in the first turn.

Not the same rough as SOB, but rough none the less.

Keep your head leaned into the curves and just watch yourself is all I have to say.

With that said, I did like Hurler (after I figured out how to not let myself get hurt).

Hurler is a POS from start to finish...give me the good wood that is Grizzly right next door any time.

I was supposed to go to Canada's Wonderland with some friends, which seems to now have fallen through. Instead, girlfriend and I are thinking about doing a Kings Dominion and Carowinds trip, a friend who recently returned from both said "Skip Dominion, its worth it just to spend the money and go to Bush Gardens, Kings Dominion is a run down, ghetto Kings Island." I don't know if I believe him though.

I never posted the TR, but we went to Carowinds in July. I try to stay open to all new experiences, but I did not care much for the place. I am glad I went, but it was a one-trip thing for me. Should sit down for about an hour and write the report and post, even though it is over a month late!

King's Dominion appeared to be in much better shape and the atmosphere was just so nice. Can't describe it, but I thought the place had good vibes. Carowinds seemed "tired" and "needs some love" would be appropriate.

I have visited both KD (2000) and Carowinds (2001 and 2003). Both are fun parks.

And don`t forget that KD is home to Shockwave, a similar style stand up to King Cobra, and also manufactured by Togo. Volcano is one awesome and unique inverted coaster, albeit very short, and after the launches and blast through the Volcano, the rest of the layout isn`t that unique. Avalanch is also a unique ride experience in the US.

Carowinds is home to Afterburn (formerly Top Gun the Jet Coaster). This B&M inverted coaster is non stop thrills and one of the best steel coasters I have ridden. Did I mention that this ride has no midcoarse brake? And Thunder Road received a MAJOR overhaul for this season, including the complete rebuilding of the turnaround.

Personally, I`d like to get back to both parks at some point. Definitely not happening this summer. Maybe I`ll buy a Platinum Pass for next year and try and hit some of these parks again, and possibly some of the other legacy CF parks besides CP.

I never posted the TR, but we went to Carowinds in July. I try to stay open to all new experiences, but I did not care much for the place. I am glad I went, but it was a one-trip thing for me. Should sit down for about an hour and write the report and post, even though it is over a month late!

King's Dominion appeared to be in much better shape and the atmosphere was just so nice. Can't describe it, but I thought the place had good vibes. Carowinds seemed "tired" and "needs some love" would be appropriate.

Please do, I really enjoy the TR's especially when they have a personal feel to them like Gordon's and Avatar's....oh I almost forgot, pictures are nice too.

Being there last week http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14472 my tr is there and I personally think its appearance is top notch and if anything better shape than KI. Volcano is my number two coaster of all time behind El Toro and the length doesnt really disappoint. I love the zero g rolls at the end!

I've been to Kings Dominion about 10 times this year and counting.

1.Dominator-go to right away and wait for front car(try to get outside) Dominator and berserker are the only thrill rides open until 10:30 so ride them until 10:30.

2.berseker-not a top 2 ride but it and dominator are the only rides open until 10:30.

3.Volcano-opens at 10:30 great ride, must ride at night

4.Flight of Fear opens at noon

5.Anaconda- arrow looper, goes under water after the MCBR can be rough helps to stick your head out of the restraint.

6.Drop Zone- ours is higher and faster than Kings Island's(272 ft tall 72mph drop) but ours dosnt spin on the way up

7.Shockwave-our standup coaster similar to King Cobra, the farther back the smoother it gets and you get pulled down the first drop.

8.by this time if the lines arnt bad it should be around noon and you should hit Flight of Fear

9.Ricochet-very unique wild mouse style coaster and fun

10.Rebel Yell-VERY IMPORTANT- while at the enterance go to the right side and for the trains get the middle of a car

11.Hurler- VERY IMPORTANT- get as close to front as possible if not front, always a walk on and ride the right side. helps to not put your hands up and relax whle keeping a firm grip on the restraints but dont let it catch you off guard it can break your ribs.

12.Grizzly-best woddie in the park the tunnel is great but bumpy the closer to front the smoother.

If its hot than it helps to cool down in waterworks briefly during the day the enterance is next to drop zone. Also on avalanche you have to have two people together and it can be very uncomfortable.

If you've been on BLSC at Kings Island then just dont even worry about ours. it has plastic supporting your back and is very painful.

^I haven't been to Carowinds since 2003, but I think we are going to do both and skip BGE just due to price, I am definitely willing to try Kings Dominion. Love the history of that park.

While BGE has the theming it's sorely lacking in rides(mainly flats) & the hilly terrain coupled with the overall park layout really didn't leave a good impression on me when I visited 11 years ago.

If you go to KD you should have a good time on some great coasters,namely Dominator & Grizzly...Rebel yell is ok but nothing to write home about & Volcano is just a complete bore to me.I should hope that they see fit to add a decent invert with better pacing & a lift in the near future but the flats package that's pretty much assured for 09 will also add more variety to the park for the time being.