Vortex Gone in 04?

Barney Rubble

hey guys, i'm new here, and i'm not lookin to cause trouble or anything, but i heard a nasty old rumor (and i do mean old) becuase i've heard it several times before.... that The Vortex is sinking, and will be removied after this year? Is this true? I also heard that it will be replaced by a flyer? I find this very hard to beleive, being that Vortex is my Fav coaster, but still... could it be possible?

This discussion has circulated the the PKI online community for months now. We've pretty much determined that if it were sinking, they probably wouldn't let people on for safelty reasons.

Now, it is possible for The Vortex to sink, as it is for anything built above ground. If Arrow didn't know what they were doing when they built The Vortex, it would be possible because the area was a lake. Then again, have you ever really heard of a rollercoaster sinking into the ground?

-Ryan

"A roller coaster designer visited LeSourdsville Lake in the early 1970s to view the Screechin' Eagle roller coaster. We were standing at the base of the lift hill when I asked him, 'What's the life of a coaster?' Without batting an eye, he seriously replied, 'The first big accident.' Of course, I was referring to the forces of nature acting on the wood structure but he gave me a better answer than the one I was looking for."

Alfred Freeman, former coaster operator

I don't recall a lake ever being there. The Bat was there before Vortex. And before that, I believe the majority of the area was wooded with the Hayle's Comet ride near the current entrance to Vortex.

The sinking rumor has been going around for a while. There's even the rumor that Magnum at CP is sinking. It got so bad that CP evern addressed the issue at one point on their website. But as others have stated numerous times before, Vortex is not sinking. If it were, it would be closed.

Everything is sinking........ Houses move around in the soil right now. Its just so small you dont know it. Everything is just floating on the earths soil. But its usually so small you cant notice it. But everything is made to withstand this stuff. Its why coasters have footers and houses have foundations.

For how long people have been making up the rumor that ANY coaster is sinking, you think one would have sunk by now.

The question everyone has to ask themselves is: "Why would PKI get rid of one of it's signature rides?", before even believing it.

BTW the Magnum "sinking" story started on April 1st, some years ago...

• 3 weeks later...

^ I can't swear that the lake was there. I had always thought that the lake was the same one that was where The Beast stands now where they had the canoe ride.

There are ups and downs to the Paramount takeover. Although a lot of the "warm" feelings of the park are now gone, the park is now under the Viacom unbrella, which does mean a lot deeper pockets. You also have to keep in mind that before the Paramount takeover, you were a lot younger. (I noticed from a different thread that we are roughly the same age). Back then, Kings Island was a much more 'magical' place simply because you were younger. The nostalgic mood is both justified and reasonable in that sence, but it is also illogical to assume that the good times are all behind us.

There are ups and downs to the Paramount takeover. Although a lot of the "warm" feelings of the park are now gone, the park is now under the Viacom unbrella, which does mean a lot deeper pockets.

I keep heaing of the deeper pockets, yet I can't see where the money is being spent. The park is not even close to being as clean as it was under KI. Rides do not operate because of lack of operators. No sit-down restaurant, or resort tied in with PKI. With Viacom-type money, you would have to think that some of the "little" things would be done to make the PKI experiance that much more enjoyable.

I seriously doubt that Vortex will be dismantled any time soon. If it is...I won't cry. PKI's removal of Phantom Theater has greatly upset me. However, the other rides removed since 2000 have not influenced my emotions. Vortex is okay.....but I much prefer The Beast, Flight of Fear, and even Adventure Express.

Have a great day!

Italian Chef

:chef:

I would be quite devistated if Vortex were removed. Its one of the top coasters at the park, and I would go as far as saying its my favorite steel at the park.

It does still bring in quite a few riders, and with 3 consistant trains, lines move VERY quick. I certinely hope they don't remove this ride for quite some time.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the bad thing about steel coaster is that they do have a life time. Woodies can be worked on and pieces replaced and stuff, for steels that is much harder. I would guess in the next 10 years that Vortex will be removed just b/c of the age and the natural wear on the coaster.

• 1 month later...
There are ups and downs to the Paramount takeover.  Although a lot of the "warm" feelings of the park are now gone, the park is now under the Viacom unbrella, which does mean a lot deeper pockets.

I keep heaing of the deeper pockets, yet I can't see where the money is being spent. The park is not even close to being as clean as it was under KI. Rides do not operate because of lack of operators. No sit-down restaurant, or resort tied in with PKI. With Viacom-type money, you would have to think that some of the "little" things would be done to make the PKI experiance that much more enjoyable.

Actually to be honest last year the park was cleanest it has been in a very long time. Rides rarely shut down because of lack off operators. Usually it is because of mechanical reasons or safety reasons that the rides shut down. While Paramount buying the park did cause some downs it also allowed the park to explore new rides thanks to the "deep pockets" of Paramount.

I actually think that Vortex will be removed but not this year. I think they will remove it for the 2006 or 2007 season. It still has some good life left in it. Cal

Vortex is not going anywhere for many years, if they do remove it i will be devastated. That is my favorite ride in the park, they dont dismantle a legend :cowboy: