Old News? Maybe.. BUT I NEED TO KNOW...

dustyj1986

So we all know that Kings Island had a Skyride. That's all very well and good.

BUT does ANYONE *KNOW* what exactly happend to the Von Roll Type 101 Skyride after its removal at the end of the 1979 season? Other than the Nickelodeon Store being the former Happy Land of Hanna-Barbera station and the concrete footer in the Oktoberfest Bier Garden Pond (covered up oh-so obviously with a boat) does ANY bit of this Skyride still exist in/around the park or at all?

Thanks everyone!

Guest TombraiderTy

This may not be too helpful...

When Disneyland's SkyRide closed, some of the ride buckets made their way to eBay. Perhaps Kings Island's were not scrapped but are now either in storage or in private collections with hopes of someday being found on eBay.

Besides that, I have nothing for you. Sorry.

This may not be too helpful...

When Disneyland's SkyRide closed, some of the ride buckets made their way to eBay. Perhaps Kings Island's were not scrapped but are now either in storage or in private collections with hopes of someday being found on eBay.

Besides that, I have nothing for you. Sorry.

no thats a very likely result. Such a shame though. The Skyride was well before my years (first visit to Kings Island was in 1996 when I won a season pass for perfect attendance in the 3rd grade, haha) but it seemed like a great attraction.

thanks for your input! :)

Guest TombraiderTy

I do know that many past attractions have found their way to other amusement parks. Flying Dutchman to Kentucky Kingdom, Flying Eagles to Carowinds, Zodiac to Wonderland, ect. I don't think Sky Ride found a new home anywhere though.

I do know that many past attractions have found their way to other amusement parks. Flying Dutchman to Kentucky Kingdom, Flying Eagles to Carowinds, Zodiac to Wonderland, ect. I don't think Sky Ride found a new home anywhere though.

I think you're right. It was already moved from old Coney overwinter 1971-1972. Heard the ride jammed due to high winds in 1977 (typical of Von Roll Type 101 skyrides though-winds over 25mph shut down the ride and the unpredictable weather of Ohio understandable) but surely that wasn't a reason to rid of the ride 2 years later..

Guest TombraiderTy

^It wasn't very popular to my knowledge. But according to the park's website in the media section, which I've heard was written by KICentral, the ride was closed in 1977. Don't know how true that is, because I've heard 1979 every where else.

^It wasn't very popular to my knowledge. But according to the park's website in the media section, which I've heard was written by KICentral, the ride was closed in 1977. Don't know how true that is, because I've heard 1979 every where else.

haha, yea I've heard that too. Every other source (including the 1979 Kings Island brochure) had a picture of the skyride and even suggested that you ride it. But to the best of my knowledge the only mishap that the Skyride had was the wind jam in 1977 and was removed at the end of the 1979 season.

You are right, I haven't had the priveleged access to the ridership logs for the skyride. (do you guys think they even exist anymore?) But ridership of a non-thrill ride its 8th season at the park/15th season of operation (1965-1971 at old coney) probably was very low.

It was removed at the end of the 1979 season. After the 1977 incident, which was widely publicized, ridership declined precipitously. Also, some riders had a problem with keeping objects inside the gondolas.

BAH. Just goes to show how some people just have to ruin it for others. Ah well. :)

Maybe they should have made them like caged in so you couldnt through anything out the gondolas.but then you'd feel weird.Maybe since CP still has theirs they could add a new one to KI.

:lol: Like a zoo on a cable! Good point. Cedar Point does in fact have AND still operate their (I believe 1964?) Skyride. However the 60s were the time for a park to see one and doubt Cedar Fair would install another one.

BUT

That would be extremely cool! :P

I can't remember the skyride as I was 3 years old when it was removed, but I sure wish it were back, I love skyrides, a nice pleasant way to get from one side of the park to another and have a great view. Parks are to concerned with wild rides to add these kind of rides anymore and it's a real shame, while I love the wild rides, I also like variety and peaceful rides.

I can't remember the skyride as I was 3 years old when it was removed, but I sure wish it were back, I love skyrides, a nice pleasant way to get from one side of the park to another and have a great view. Parks are to concerned with wild rides to add these kind of rides anymore and it's a real shame, while I love the wild rides, I also like variety and peaceful rides.

I completely agree with raptor. If not a skyride-some type of trans-park attraction would definitely suit Kings Island.

who 2nds this notion?! ;)

I 2nd that motion. In fact, how about this. A cross-park roller coaster of sorts. You load up on a train at one side of the park, go up a small-ish lift hill, and get to the other side of the park in no time. You get off, and other people get on and it goes back, etc.

(well, ok, it would probably be very expensive, having to be completely off the ground etc... but it would make for a quick transit to the other side of the park... except for having to wait in line I guess)

I 2nd that motion. In fact, how about this. A cross-park roller coaster of sorts. You load up on a train at one side of the park, go up a small-ish lift hill, and get to the other side of the park in no time. You get off, and other people get on and it goes back, etc.

(well, ok, it would probably be very expensive, having to be completely off the ground etc... but it would make for a quick transit to the other side of the park... except for having to wait in line I guess)

I have often thought of that idea. KI definitely needs some cross-park transportation to save people's legs.

We rode the skyride at Cedar Point when we were leaving because our legs were tired and we wanted to rest our feet. Don't underestimate these old classic rides. They still have value.