50's Diner Problem and Gold Parking

hamoperator

:wacko: Today was a typical day at Kings Island, my family arrived at the Gold lot at 4pm with the lot busting at the seams! We watched people pay with cash as they entered and drive into the Gold lot and park, and not being surprised; NO parking attendant was there to screen Gold/Platinum Passes!

Then we decided to visit The County Line show. Right after the show we went at 4:45 PM to stop by the 50's Dinner for 2 sandwiches (Bacon Cheeseburger Combo's); my wife cut the first sandwich up for the kids to share and they started eating; She then cut ours up for her and I to share, as I bit into my half, something was wrong, NO BURGER on it! I looked at the kids sandwiches, and "Yes" NO BURGER on theirs either! I went right back in and notified the staff at the register and also asked to speak with a manager. No manager came out and a girl behind the line re-made our order with Burgers on the sandwiches this time. We felt an occurrence like this needed to be brought to the attention of Guest Services; I have the feeling that was a mistake, Guest Services promised me they would talk to the food service manager and that seeing the order was re-made that was the end of the problem as far as the lady I spoke with stated. I went outside and seeing they didn't ask my name or anything else went back inside and filed a formal complaint! Now I'm going to wait and see if I get a reply from anyone at the park on this issue. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

So let me get this right?

You brought it to their attention and they corrected the problem?

You got the burgers and meal?

The accident was that the burgers were not in there. Unfortunate and certainly not the best situation but certainly nothing to make such a fuss about.

Wow,if that were my mom she would be screaming and hollering if she was in a bad mood.

And honestly, what would that have accomplished?

Other than making your mother look ridiculous?

But if she reacts that way often, she's probably used to looking ridiculous.

^ I agree, sounds like a simple honest mistake that is being blown out of proportion. It would be one thing if they refused to fix the problem, but that is not what happened. Sounds like one of the workers was probably trying to get these sandwiches prepared and somewhere there was a miscommunication on whether the burger was on the sandwich. No harm, no foul.

Hamoperator - What exactly would you have said to a manager that would have changed the situation in a positive light? Your family got their food the correct way. You didn't say anything about the burgers being cold or under-cooked, so I would guess that when the burgers were put on your sandwiches and re-served that they were to your liking.

What do you want from the park, blood? Should they fire some 16 or 17 year kid because he forgot to put a hamburger patty on a couple of sandwiches? I do not see why you are so adiment about persuing this minor incident that happened and yet was resolved by the food service staff in the diner.

Personally, I think you went a bit overboard filing a formal complaint. Making you new sandwiches would satisfy 99% of customers. It was an honest mistake.

Lets see, my job is to please the custumers, to make sandwiches with hamburgers on them, the hamburger is not an option; it's a main piece of the product. Can I do a basic task? NO.

The restraunt was not busy, no excuse! Pay attention to detail!

Lets see, my job is to please the custumers, to make sandwiches with hamburgers on them, the hamburger is not an option; it's a main piece of the product. Can I do a basic task? NO.

Have you never made a mistake in any job, personal or professional? Mistakes happen to the best of us, NO ONE IS PERFECT.

Just because the restauarant was not busy does not mean that the staff wasn't busy doing other tasks. Considering that you said in your origional post that it was around 4:45pm, I would guess that the staff was rushing to prep for the dinner rush that would be coming in over the next few hours.

It just amazes me that so many people react in this manner.

Is it me or do we seem to see far more of this?

Granted, there have always been ill mannered/high maintenance people but they seem to have procreated and passed the trait on.

Couldn't agree more. Would you have thrown this big of a deal if you asked for pickles and they left the pickles off? Yet when you advised the worker of the situation and they gave you pickles would you still have filed a formal complaint?

When I was 16 I worked in our local ice cream shop and accidentally made a banana split... and forgot the banana. The gentleman brought it back and I made him a new one, with banana. I apologized, he laughed about it and it was done. I don't understand when some people get so fired up about a simple mistake. The mistake was fixed, free of charge. What more do people want? The workers are human, just like you and I, and sometimes mistakes are made. A formal complaint seems a bit much to me.

I thought the same thing last night when I read this post. Stuff like this happens all the time to people. 99% of people forget that it even happened by their next ride. It's not like you found a band-aid in your food. It was just a mistake that sounds like was taken care of.

When I was 16 I worked in our local ice cream shop and accidentally made a banana split... and forgot the banana. The gentleman brought it back and I made him a new one, with banana. I apologized, he laughed about it and it was done. I don't understand when some people get so fired up about a simple mistake. The mistake was fixed, free of charge. What more do people want? The workers are human, just like you and I, and sometimes mistakes are made. A formal complaint seems a bit much to me.

What!!!!

You Forgot The Banana in a Banana Split!

Please tell me that you were terminated and were reported to the authorities!

Such Actions Simply Can Not Be Allowed To Continue!

<G>

As for the gold pass parking area not having an employee checking the passes just realize that it is the end of the season and school is back in session. Lots of workers have gone back to school and staffing needs is required in other vital areas like staffing the parking tolls, sales, and taking tickets at the front gate. Just lacking one person at parking tolls will cause a back up of cars entering the park.

In the case of the missing hamburger, the problem was resolved at the location and no need to further "beef" about the problem. No need to cause further grief to that teenager for an honest mistake.

I had a missing burger one time at Wendy's. The problem with that was I went through the drive thru and didn't have time to go back. I was on my half hour lunch break. I called them and they told me the next time I came in I would get some freebies. At least at the park you could just go have it fixed right away.

As a former area manager in the park during the Paramount era I can say you will most likely not receive a response from the park. Again I'm speaking in terms of the good ol' Paramount days. When we (managers) would get these complaints it would usually get to us at the end of the week and consist of about 200 pages of complaints and compliments and that was just my department. Issues like the one you had would be addressed with the crew and supervisors and since it was resolved on the associate level and really didn't require the need of a manager will be considered dealt with. Like some have said on here already Kings Island employs 15yr olds and up. Some who have never had a job. You cannot go there and expect not to have little mistakes like that, and I would not see the purpose of calling a manager to that location and waiting for one to arrive when the situation was resolved. Move on and enjoy your day. It just seems like time can be better spent in the park rather than revolving your day around a problem that was corrected.

I had a missing burger one time at Wendy's. The problem with that was I went through the drive thru and didn't have time to go back. I was on my half hour lunch break. I called them and they told me the next time I came in I would get some freebies. At least at the park you could just go have it fixed right away.

I'll be honest... I was at my nearby Wendy's, and one time I was in such a hurry that right after they gave me my drink at the drive-thru.... that I didn't bother waiting for my food, even if it was for several seconds more. Not their fault at all, as this location is just about always fast... lapse in memory? Has that ever happened to YOU?!

As a former area manager in the park during the Paramount era I can say you will most likely not receive a response from the park. Again I'm speaking in terms of the good ol' Paramount days. When we (managers) would get these complaints it would usually get to us at the end of the week and consist of about 200 pages of complaints and compliments and that was just my department. Issues like the one you had would be addressed with the crew and supervisors and since it was resolved on the associate level and really didn't require the need of a manager will be considered dealt with. Like some have said on here already Kings Island employs 15yr olds and up. Some who have never had a job. You cannot go there and expect not to have little mistakes like that, and I would not see the purpose of calling a manager to that location and waiting for one to arrive when the situation was resolved. Move on and enjoy your day. It just seems like time can be better spent in the park rather than revolving your day around a problem that was corrected.

WOW

200 pages of complaints and complements.

That exhibits how things fell apart during the Paramount days. This is just a reminder that it takes some time to turn around the mistakes that Paramount made. Gotta have faith that CF will do it. But, Rome (not Rome, GA) was not built in a day. Now in the years I was a supervisor at the park, I could count on one hand the number of complaints that my operation would receive in a given season. Not that I was a perfect manager but I'd say that it would be the same of any supervisor in the park. I can not imagine any manager keeping their position with the receipt of that amount of complaints. Now we would get a few complements attributed to an employee each week. Those employees would get Apple Cards from Guest Relations.

I know that we empowered the line employees to make corrections to ensure that each guest received Service Excellence. It was more about surpassing a guests expectations than in meeting their expectations.

Where's the beef?

Epic

Personally, I think you went a bit overboard filing a formal complaint. Making you new sandwiches would satisfy 99% of customers. It was an honest mistake.

I totally agree with hamoperator. It's not as if the hamburger is an afterthought on a HAMBURGER!! I've never been asked if I wanted meat with my sandwich. I don't think it's even detail , it's a necessary component of the item. However, the situation was corrected and that would have satisfied me.

It just amazes me that so many people react in this manner.

Is it me or do we seem to see far more of this?

Granted, there have always been ill mannered/high maintenance people but they seem to have procreated and passed the trait on.

For what it's worth... I've seen an increase in botched fastfood orders in general in recent years, so I am not surprised to see a decrease in the tolerance of such mistakes. Everyone's human, I know... but for me personally, something gets screwed up with my order about 25% of the time that I get fast food. The 50s Diner made it right, but the underlying issue is that most of the time the employees couldn't care less that they screwed up - and that is a problem.

:wacko: Today was a typical day at Kings Island, my family arrived at the Gold lot at 4pm with the lot busting at the seams! We watched people pay with cash as they entered and drive into the Gold lot and park, and not being surprised; NO parking attendant was there to screen Gold/Platinum Passes!

Then we decided to visit The County Line show. Right after the show we went at 4:45 PM to stop by the 50's Dinner for 2 sandwiches (Bacon Cheeseburger Combo's); my wife cut the first sandwich up for the kids to share and they started eating; She then cut ours up for her and I to share, as I bit into my half, something was wrong, NO BURGER on it! I looked at the kids sandwiches, and "Yes" NO BURGER on theirs either! I went right back in and notified the staff at the register and also asked to speak with a manager. No manager came out and a girl behind the line re-made our order with Burgers on the sandwiches this time. We felt an occurrence like this needed to be brought to the attention of Guest Services; I have the feeling that was a mistake, Guest Services promised me they would talk to the food service manager and that seeing the order was re-made that was the end of the problem as far as the lady I spoke with stated. I went outside and seeing they didn't ask my name or anything else went back inside and filed a formal complaint! Now I'm going to wait and see if I get a reply from anyone at the park on this issue. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

hamoperator thanks for sharing your less than pleasant experience with us, I know sometimes the feed back is hard to hear at times on her but I assure you many readers read this and have learned from it. I can also assure you that almost everyone at some time has gotten upset and maybe taken it further than necessary and may normal have handled it in a different way.

I’m reading this and will comment in hopes we can laugh together on this. I see when you entered the park and a perk was not only reserved for you and can see this being a bit frustrating, which sets a tone right there. I think part of the problem is how can you arrive at 4 park tote two children watch a show and be clear down at the end of the midway by 445 (your frustrated and rushed now). I am impressed and I must have you go with us on our next trip to Disney! :P I agree that when something like what happened to you and you ask for a manager and that doesn’t happen, you can feel very unimportant and I know during times like those I can get more worked up too. I haft to remind myself at those times what is more important. I hope you continue to go to the park and to share your experiences with us good or bad as we learn from those.

Thanks for posting and sharing you thoughts.

At least you got one in the end....

I remember being at a fast food drive through, and being told they were out of meat!!!!!

You believe that crap????

And, don't even get me started on apple pies!!!!

LOL

But yeah, I ate there 2 years ago, the food was OK, but it was 60 bucks to feed the family.

Burgers fries and Cokes.......60 bucks.....

If it were missing the burger, I'd be a bit steamed

I’m reading this and will comment in hopes we can laugh together on this. I see when you entered the park and a perk was not only reserved for you and can see this being a bit frustrating, which sets a tone right there. I think part of the problem is how can you arrive at 4 park tote two children watch a show and be clear down at the end of the midway by 445 (your frustrated and rushed now). I am impressed and I must have you go with us on our next trip to Disney! :P I agree that when something like what happened to you and you ask for a manager and that doesn’t happen, you can feel very unimportant and I know during times like those I can get more worked up too. I haft to remind myself at those times what is more important. I hope you continue to go to the park and to share your experiences with us good or bad as we learn from those.

Thanks for posting and sharing you thoughts.

I first read that comment as "when you entered the park and the park was not only reserved for you." - I think that reading would be more appropriate, though.

I too learned from the posting. It reminds me the difficulties that many dealing with the general public see. It should remind each of us to take the extra time to say please and thank you to those that are serving and taking care of us. Remember, there are many out there like Hamoperator's wife. By saying the please and thank you, we may continue to let line workers know their efforts are appreciated.

For what it's worth... I've seen an increase in botched fastfood orders in general in recent years, so I am not surprised to see a decrease in the tolerance of such mistakes. Everyone's human, I know... but for me personally, something gets screwed up with my order about 25% of the time that I get fast food. The 50s Diner made it right, but the underlying issue is that most of the time the employees couldn't care less that they screwed up - and that is a problem.

I'm 40 years old. I'm old enough to remember having to drive 15 to 20 miles in Colerain township to get to a fast food restaurant. (McDonalds) Fast food restaurants have always messed up orders. If you frequent fast food (which I try not to) you have to learn to check your order before pulling through the drive thru. If that is to difficult, get out of your car - walk in the restaurant - and watch your order be prepared.

Or better yet, go somewhere that you can watch your order prepared... cough, Chipotle, cough.

At least you got one in the end....

I remember being at a fast food drive through, and being told they were out of meat!!!!!

I went to a Moe's once and they told me that.

How did your wife cut up the two sandwiches and not realize there was no meat!?!?!?!?! Now that's why I'd be worried about if I was you! LOL! HA HA!

I never thought of that?!?!? But How Is That?

I'd recommend that he file a complaint with his wife's parents that she could cut up two sandwiches and did not realize it.

My theory, the wife was trying to convert the family to vegetarian and the husband called her on it.

hamoperator thanks for sharing your less than pleasant experience with us, I know sometimes the feed back is hard to hear at times on her but I assure you many readers read this and have learned from it. I can also assure you that almost everyone at some time has gotten upset and maybe taken it further than necessary and may normal have handled it in a different way.

Something that most people wouldn't get...but since my screen name is standbyme and I have seen the movie countless times I know a lot of the dialog by heart...I just laughed when you posted the above words trying to take away a little of the negativity of this thread...and being this thread is about fast food I thought this was appropriate...here is some of the ending dialog from Stand By Me:

"Last week he entered a fast food restaurant. Just ahead of him, two men got into an argument—one of them pulled a knife. Chris, who had always made the best peace, tried to break it up. He was stabbed in the throat. He died almost instantly."

Just a little "food for thought"!

By the way it's 4 kids!

The County Line runs from 4 to 4:30pm; we were a few minutes late for the start of the show, any how, getting from the FestHaus to the 50's Diner in 15 minutes is not very hard, Sunday wasn't very busy at the park, Saturday was busy! And we did do Disney two weeks ago, much more efficiently ran; already planning on next years trip back down to see the Mouse.