Top gun & SOB

chippewa&idora4ever

You mean it does/did feel like you are sitting in a fighter jet? Who knew?

(Perhaps it would help if one had not also ridden Big Bad Wolf, XLR8, Iron Dragon, Ninja at Magic Mountain, etc.)

I've ridden Iron Dragon, and, as a result, I will NEVER complain about Flight Deck again......

odd, my thought exactly.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean it does/did feel like you are sitting in a fighter jet? Who knew?

(Perhaps it would help if one had not also ridden Big Bad Wolf, XLR8, Iron Dragon, Ninja at Magic Mountain, etc.)

I've ridden Iron Dragon, and, as a result, I will NEVER complain about Flight Deck again......

I totally agree with you on that. Iron Dragon < Flight Deck. FD is way more intense.

Put another way, to compare the ride experience (not the theming) of Flight Deck nee Top Gun to a fighter jet is not unlike comparing the ride experience of Son of Beast with shopping at Kroger with a baskart. Maybe not even that close!

If I had only ridden the ride, never seen any theming or a name, perhaps the LAST thing I might have come up with for a potential theme is a fighter jet ride. If even then. This, friends, is not a coaster that had a theme and concept and then got designed. It was, rather obviously, a fully designed coaster that was even partially built before it got the name and theming "stuck on it." And those ARE the right words.

It may have not been designed that way but I remember the commercial for it and thats how they advertised it. "Now you can fly just like the fighter jets in Top Gun". I was only in 6th grade then. I was confused when I saw the commercial I was like What's Paramount's Kings Island? Is it like the Kings Island I've been to several times in Cincinatti? LOL I remember the typical little kid rumor mill stuff too, somebody had "been to the park" and yes its the same Kings Island, and Top Gun isn't actually a new ride, they just repainted The Vortex and redesigned it a little bit... blah blah blah. I was glad to find out it was all BS

So, Who here thinks there is a better then 50% chance that SoB or FD will be removed? :blink:

It depends on when. And what does Kings Island management feel about them. I don't know if they really think the rides are good assets or if they are trying to think of a way to replace them.

Of course there is more than a 50 percent chance of Flight Deck and Son of Beast being removed. In my lifetime? Probably...provided I live a very long time. Either of them being removed in the reasonably foreseeable future? Now, there's the rub. Who knows? Probably no one for sure.

How long do Interpreters live anyway?

One can only hope! :)

Thanks, guys....

(And I am glad you didn't stick the Six Flags in front of that, for two reasons:

* Everyone up there knows the name of that place is Great Advencha. No Flags, more fun!

* Six Flags may well last, under current management, less time than even the Zoom Flume at Coney Island of Ohio...or just a bit longer than that. August 2009 is coming, with a foreboding debt payment due that I cannot even imagine how they can pay)

I see Flight Deck going before SOB. With all they money they spent on redesigning SOB it would be a waste just to tear it all down. The only reason I see Top Gun going is they don't seem to be taking very good care of it. When I rode it this past time it started going up the lift hill, making a very loud creaking noise and then it stopped... and then slowly started again. Also seems like the track is pretty rusty and faded. Seems if they were plan on keeping it around they would take better care of it!

I heard it was going to be taken out but when is the question though? Its going to cost a lot of money I would see to keep up with parts just like King Cobra was when there wasn't many standups from that particular designer of the roller coaster around. But we will see it would be nice to replace this with something like Raptor in that area back there with the creek and terrain.

I see Flight Deck going before SOB. With all they money they spent on redesigning SOB it would be a waste just to tear it all down. The only reason I see Top Gun going is they don't seem to be taking very good care of it. When I rode it this past time it started going up the lift hill, making a very loud creaking noise and then it stopped... and then slowly started again. Also seems like the track is pretty rusty and faded. Seems if they were plan on keeping it around they would take better care of it!

It does that for safety reasons. The next train isn't always out of the next block yet, so it stops on the lift. I'd only be scared if it stops doing this.

as for the part about it being rusty and faded... it used to be painted red... somewhat near the color of rust...

plus, is there any chain lifted roller coaster that doesn't creak on the lift?

also it's kind of hard to effectively take care of a ride by arrow... as has been pointed out earlier in this thread....

^From what I've heard:

a. They Were Outdated

b. Arrow went under.

Why didn't they build a 200 foot one with 6 inversions? (Or something like that)

a. You can't get much bigger than 100 feet with those

b. They tried inversions but it didn't work.

yeah but Arrow went under WAY AFTER Top Gun was built which was the last one from my understanding. How come you can't go higher than a 100 feet? Anyway it doesn't matter I guess since we have inverted and flying coasters now! MUCH more of a flight simulation than Top Gun ever was!

If anyone builds a next generation suspended swinging coaster (like Flight Deck), I'd love it if they could add barrel roll inversions (loops wouldn't work). That would be quite a ride experience!

I think a corkscrew or barrel roll would add nothing to the experience, plus its next to impossible without either imobilzing the swing arm (and at that point you might as well just call B&M for an invert) or going through it at such a speed it would be uncomfortable. I wish this design would make a comeback, this time with floorless cars. Build them right (Big Bad Wolf) and they are fantastically thrilling rides but still tame enough to be a family attraction.