Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Keep in mind that the ironworkers may only have a select number of crews working on Diamondback on any given day. There was obviously the crew working at the bottom of the first drop. But I`d venture to say that there was another crew working on unloading/loading the trucks with new track pieces and supports in the parking lot out by Boomerang Bay. Also, keep in mind that cranes are not the only pieces of equipment needed to put new pieces of steel in place. They need cherry pickers to be able to get the ironworkers up to the connections to bolt the new pieces into place.

Not much lifting going on in the webcams today so far. Seems to be a lot of work around the station and they have 3 different lifts around the crypt. Clifford is out of sight and I think the smaller crane is back from the HammerHead, but has been sitting most of the day.

Not much lifting going on in the webcams today so far. Seems to be a lot of work around the station and they have 3 different lifts around the crypt. Clifford is out of sight and I think the smaller crane is back from the HammerHead, but has been sitting most of the day.

I believe I have seen more than one smaller crane.

Finally, confirmation that this thing will FOR SURE utilize the terrain...I'll sleep a little better at night.

By the way...sweet use of Helbig's time machine...pictures from October 10th...but in ten days no progress??? ^_^

LoL... I'll have to fix that. The last update I put them all for Sept 29th of 2009, so at least it's getting better. :rolleyes:

Sweet, sweet photos. I am loving this ride more and more each update.

AAAAAARRRGGGGGHHH!

IT'S NOT A HAMMERHEAD TURN!

Stop calling it that. It is ust an over bank turn.

I have visual proof and an explanation if you would like me to back this up.

Actually yea it is. Similar Elements exist on Nitro, Behemoth, and sorta Raging Bull.

AAAAAARRRGGGGGHHH!

Good for you, but I dont need you to back it up. On previous B&M Mega coasters this turn around element has been referred to as a HammerHead (Nitro : Behemoth). Now in an aviation sense, no it is not a HammerHead turn, but neither are most of the coaster elements that are named after aviation manuvers, which B&M are famous for doing. So if you want to argue about the merits of calling the turn around a HammerHead or not, fine, but in reality it is an over banked turn that alows the coaster 180 degree course reversal without loosing much speed. Almost exactly the same definition and purpose of a HammerHead in aviation...

AAAAAARRRGGGGGHHH!

Easy big guy. You probably shouldn't bring up the correct names of words tossed around in "the biz". See the footers/footings debate. Boy that was a fun one in which nothing of any significance was determined. I think it should just be called "The part of the coaster that changes the direction of the train by 180 degrees" however I don't think that is as catchy as hammerhead.

I don't think you are going to change many people's minds with this argument, but Godspeed in your quest.

Sweet, sweet photos. I am loving this ride more and more each update.

AAAAAARRRGGGGGHHH!

Actually yea it is. Similar Elements exist on Nitro, Behemoth, and sorta Raging Bull.

Raging Bull doesn't have a Hammerhead turn. Im not really sure what you would call it, not an overbanked turn. The turn on DB is a little different from a hammerhead turn, but if you ask me... id' say it is a hammerhead turn.

A hammerhead turn in aviation also is 90degrees up and back down. So I will say, it isn't a "TRUE" hammerhead turn.

The hammerhead on Behemoth looks like the head of a hammerhead type shark if you think about it.

And while we are on the subject of coaster elements... WHAT THE HECK IS THE ROSE BOWL ON SOB?

A hammerhead turn in aviation also is 90degrees up and back down. So I will say, it isn't a "TRUE" hammerhead turn.

The hammerhead on Behemoth looks like the head of a hammerhead type shark if you think about it.

And while we are on the subject of coaster elements... WHAT THE HECK IS THE ROSE BOWL ON SOB?

the rose bowl on SoB is the first helix. the one that beats the crap out of you.

This might be a dumb question but it's bugging the heck out of me. In this picture:

http://www.KICentral.com/photos/displayima...m=278&pos=2

the track piece is connected to another dark red piece before attaching to the support. I thought the track bolted directly to the support. Does anyone know what the reason for this is. Its really bothering me.

Finally, confirmation that this thing will FOR SURE utilize the terrain...I'll sleep a little better at night.

By the way...sweet use of Helbig's time machine...pictures from October 10th...but in ten days no progress??? ^_^

Check the date again. 100108 is October 1st, 2008. At least that's how I read it.

Check the date again. 100108 is October 1st, 2008. At least that's how I read it.

He was right, it said 10-10-08 originally, but I fixed it. :wacko:

The element that looks like the Rose Bowl Stadium. Or, the element on the bottom of this picture:

sob3.jpg

Kind of on the same topic as markhudson17, it's really strange to me how B&M decides to build the supports in different segments in some areas but uses one long support for seemingly the same purpose in other places. For example in this picture there are four pieces to the support. Two on the left, one in the middle, and one on the right. How the heck does B&M decide the piece on the left needs to be two different supports bolted together but on the right it only needs to be one long support. Anyone else notice this? I believe it happens throughout the ride. I'm sure there is a very good reason for this but from a non-engineering perspective its odd.

Kind of on the same topic as markhudson17, it's really strange to me how B&M decides to build the supports in different segments in some areas but uses one long support for seemingly the same purpose in other places. For example in this picture there are four pieces to the support. Two on the left, one in the middle, and one on the right. How the heck does B&M decide the piece on the left needs to be two different supports bolted together but on the right it only needs to be one long support. Anyone else notice this? I believe it happens throughout the ride. I'm sure there is a very good reason for this but from a non-engineering perspective its odd.

You know that is a really interesting observation. Honestly not sure as to why it would be built in different segments, only idea I have is to allow for some type of adjustment in the future, maybe for leveling purposes.

This might be a dumb question but it's bugging the heck out of me. In this picture:

http://www.KICentral.com/photos/displayima...m=278&pos=2

the track piece is connected to another dark red piece before attaching to the support. I thought the track bolted directly to the support. Does anyone know what the reason for this is. Its really bothering me.

My guess is that piece in between is an adjuster piece. Just in case the track did not meet up they can fenagle it with that attachment piece.