Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

I'd take a B&M Hyper over a mosquito-infested lake any day. It was pretty, though.

But a mosquito-infested lake has character that a B&M hyper could never build.

Like what? Tolerence to Pain?

Yea, I guess your right, getting bit by mosquitos is such a better way to spend your time then riding a smooth, fast B&M Hyper.

I went to Haunt yesterday and finally got to see DB after a month or so. I'm really impressed. It's just huge. The pictures don't do it justice. Most of all I'm shocked by the size of the size of the hill after the splash down. This is going to be great!

Most of all I'm shocked by the size of the size of the hill after the splash down. This is going to be great!

Yea, the last drop into the splashdown is a little over 100 feet tall. While it is pretty impressive sounding, from an engineering and design standpoint, it just shows how much more B&M could have done w/ the design of Diamondback. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely excited about Diamondback, but w/ the site's topography, B&M could have designed something truly spectacular and unique - not just a Behemoth/Nitro lovechild.

Just? Just?

Sigh.

Only perhaps the grandest steel coaster to be constructed in North America in the past 30 years, and you are disappointed?

My head hurts...

Did I say I was disappointed in Diamondback? No. I said I was disappointed in the route B&M took in designing Diamondback. For instance, while I firmly believe the 2008 BMW M3 is one of the greatest pieces of automotive engineering and driving available, there are still several aspects of the car that I believe can be improved. When it comes to design and engineering, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

While I think it's going to be an amazing ride, Diamondback could have been hands-down the top steel coaster in the world with that parcel of land KI has. Most parks have wet dreams about that type of site for a new coaster.

Now if only KI went with Intamin's proposed design before CF bought them...

Companies take into account parks' desires, budget and local regulatory environments, among many other things. Given Cedar Fair's financial situation, the general economic environment and the park's history of investments, the fact Diamondback is being built at all is a major miracle, as park investments go. There are a myriad of reasons that Cedar Fair may prefer doing business with B & M to INTAMIN at this time...some of which involve Knott's and a ride there, along with coasters similar to but not the same as Millennium Force at another park chain that currently numbers its flags. And before someone speaks up about maverick things...I seem to remember some issue there that might have well proven misgivings some in the chain may have had with dealing with that company...

Companies take into account parks' desires, budget and local regulatory environments, among many other things. Given Cedar Fair's financial situation, the general economic environment and the park's history of investments, the fact Diamondback is being built at all is a major miracle, as park investments go. There are a myriad of reasons that Cedar Fair may prefer doing business with B & M to INTAMIN at this time...some of which involve Knott's and a ride there, along with coasters similar to but not the same as Millennium Force at another park chain that currently numbers its flags. And before someone speaks up about maverick things...I seem to remember some issue there that might have well proven misgivings some in the chain may have had with dealing with that company...

I agree with you 100%. Money is always an issue, and is the primary reason corners are cut in coaster design. That was obviously the case with Diamondback. Don't get me wrong Interpreter, I am stoked about Diamondback, I'm just dreaming about what could have been. ;)

Let's get back on topic, please.

Ryan, do you care to explain how talking about Diamondback's design is 'off-topic' and people messing up BEAST1979's name for an entire page isn't?