Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

So i have never rode a coaster with a splashdown do people on the coaster get wet or just the people watching.

You get a small amount of mist if you sit on the outside of the last row where the scoops for the splashdown effect are located.

Most of all I'm shocked by the size of the size of the hill after the splash down. This is going to be great!

Yea, the last drop into the splashdown is a little over 100 feet tall. While it is pretty impressive sounding, from an engineering and design standpoint, it just shows how much more B&M could have done w/ the design of Diamondback. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely excited about Diamondback, but w/ the site's topography, B&M could have designed something truly spectacular and unique - not just a Behemoth/Nitro lovechild.

There are 6 drops over 100 feet. That means the drop out of the MCBs is the last 100 foot drop. From looking at the concept art and the size of the drop relative to other Rivertown objects it looks like about 50 feet into the splashdown.

It's actually pretty hard to work the coaster into the topography, most of the terrain out there is very dramatic and difficult to work with, they actually had to smooth out the ravine to get it to work. (Which, by the way, allows the second drop to be 193 feet, and the 6th drop to be over 100 feet)

And I am kinda getting tired of people calling this a Behemoth/Nitro lovechild or ripoff. Not only has it not even opened yet, but it also has 6 drops over 100 feet and 2 drops near or over 200 feet, a splashdown, and it actually has a THEME. Not to mention the location of this ride is excelently placed, the first drop catapulting towards the Crypt's que and a helix over the pathway, not like Nitro where they just ploped it in a forest.

From the Diamondback Blog:

Did you know?

October 11, 2008

Construction of Diamondback began one year ago today when workmen removed a tree on the far side of Swan Lake near the International Showplace Theater.

- Don Helbig

:)

Was it one of the three Christmas trees sitting on that raft? :P

And I am kinda getting tired of people calling this a Behemoth/Nitro lovechild or ripoff. Not only has it not even opened yet, but it also has 6 drops over 100 feet and 2 drops near or over 200 feet, a splashdown, and it actually has a THEME. Not to mention the location of this ride is excelently placed, the first drop catapulting towards the Crypt's que and a helix over the pathway, not like Nitro where they just ploped it in a forest.

Exatly :) they did just slaped Nitro in a forest.

Wow, where do I start on this theread. I go in the basement for a weekend and all heck breaks loose.

Diamondback and its design could land it as one of the best B&M Megas around if not the best.

Also could ticket it to the top of a list that awards awards.

Like they say can't please everyone all the time.

Side note the new DB Blog for today mentions that by the end of the week the lift hill will stand around 200 feet. That is exciting

It's not under the "Black Hat" anymore!

Workmen at Kings Island will be installing a significant amount of track on Diamondback’s 230-foot lift hill this week. The lift hill will stand close to 200 feet by the time the gates open Friday at 7:00pm for Halloween Haunt.

- Don Helbig

I can't wait to see how this shapes up!

Clifford is picking up big supports!

Do you not go to school that often? Or does your school just start super late? The post i just quoted and many of your other posts are posted on weekdays around 9am-1pm. Or do you just post at school?

Sorry to get off topic..

hi this is my first time posting on KICentral.

i have read posts on this site since i found it in late 2006 (Firehawk construction)

i'm just wondering does the bottom of the first drop not look lower than 15 ft off the ground

Welcome, glad you decided to make your first post.

There should roughly be 15ft of clearance at the bottom of the first drop. Afterall we are talking the rails are 15ft above the ground, not the box spine which drops a few feet bellow the track.

Do you not go to school that often? Or does your school just start super late? The post i just quoted and many of your other posts are posted on weekdays around 9am-1pm. Or do you just post at school?

Sorry to get off topic..

hahahaha we have talked bout this before. he gets on the school computers during studyhall and connections ;)

Sorry to get off topic..

Beast1979, didn't your mom block KIC on the home computer?

Sorry to get off topic..

Beast1979, didn't your mom block KIC on the home computer?

No worries, I've resolved the situation...