Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

I'm literally watching them place a section of one of the LARGEST supports right now, as I type. They are aligning the pieces. This is really interesting to watch.

I'm not sure that is the biggest one they are putting in place right now. From looking at the renderings I'd say that is the support that holds the majority of the drop. The biggest support will be attached to the top of the lone support that has been up a few weeks now.

edit* now i see you said "one of the largest" not the largest.

degrees-360.gif

74 would (obviously) be between the 70 & 80 lines. I tried to draw it in and post that up but that didn't work out so well. So you'll just have to use your imagination.

Hope that helps a bit.

Hopefully this can be lined up to some lift/drop profile shots really soon!! I tried to get some last weekend, and it was a little tricky (to get everything in one camera view), but from the BLSC queue I could do it with some branches and (soon to be falling!) leaves in the view/way a little.

UGHHH.... they're working on the lift hill again today and its barely in one shot of the camera!!

grrrr... who do i have to complain to to get them to change the camera angles? and where are they? i'll go move them 2morrow. I'm tired of watching bulldozers just drive back and forth by the entrance to get where the action is :(

Okay, so maybe the people with engineering degrees on here can answer my question.

I've noticed some seemingly unique ways the supports have been built on DB. Is it just because of the ground below that they had to be built that way (as in something below the coaster prevented what usually is seen in B&Ms other than Great Bear) or is there some further reason that because of my poor mathematical skills, will never understand?

This is what I'm referring to...

support.jpg

Edit: Woops, I thought I had highlighted the region I meant to focus on...but it didn't work.

Those are not actually "crack things" in the supports. Rather, they are part of the rigging equipment that the iron workers put on the support so that the crane could lift the steel into position. Once all the bolts are properly torques to support the steel, they will remove the rigging straps.

Do you think they will put that up by tonight? They said that it will stand almost 200 feet tall "By the time the Gates open at 7" maybe that was a clue?

as much as they promised that idk if they can get the tallest supports and lift track all up before 7

I bet they put up the couple of pieces of track they've been working on today then call it quits. That leaves the final supports, the rest of the drop, and the top of the hill for next week.

From the looks of it, no pine tree till next week. B)

So the hill won't be completly done by the end of the day?

No, the lift hill will not be 100% complete by 7pm tonight.

My post:

Parks closed so they are working away at it once again! Word from under the Black Hat is that much of the lift hill will be finished by Friday!

From Don Helbig's Diamondback blog:

Workmen at Kings Island will be installing a significant amount of track on Diamondback’s 230-foot lift hill this week. The lift hill will stand close to 200 feet by the time the gates open Friday at 7:00pm for Halloween Haunt.