Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

That picture confirmed a non cable lift? :rolleyes:

Pictures before showed the start of the lift with chain segments right next to it...

Ha found it... notice the chain below lol http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...post&id=154

I believe it was determined that the chain seen is for the small crane. I hope I am not ruining sarcasm but I couldn't tell so I figured I would clarify.

The dead-giveaway of the use of a chain is the return trough running underneath of the lift as seen on Behemoth.

Plus the metal teeth that prevent the train to rollback on the hill if the chain stops.

Anti-Rollbacks. First used my John Miller.....I think? :blink:

The patten is held by John A Miller.

The dead-giveaway of the use of a chain is the return trough running underneath of the lift as seen on Behemoth.

Plus the metal teeth that prevent the train to rollback on the hill if the chain stops.

Anti-Rollbacks. First used my John Miller.....I think? :blink:

The patten is held by John A Miller.

Actually, I don't believe he holds the patent anymore otherwise the coaster companies would be paying his family to use the design. Most patents are only good for 20 years, after that anyone is free to use it.

Uh, no. Patents are good for 17 years of exclusive use. The patent itself does not expire, but the right of exclusive use does.

Actually, design patents are exclusive for up to a maximum of 14 years. This is assuming that the patent holder pays the necessary maintenance fees to the USPTO every 3.5, 7.5, and 11.5 years since the date the patent is granted.

Who knew taking a patent law class could prove useful? ;)

And utility patents are now good for 20 years as the instructor said (I stand corrected), if filed on or after June 8, 1995. For applications that were pending on and for patents that were still in force on June 8, 1995, the patent term is either 17 years from the issue date or 20 years from the filing date of the earliest US application to which priority is claimed (excluding provisional applications), the longer term applying. Thanks to the five people who PM'd me to let me know how old I am!

The design patent information is indeed correct (and I knew that, but had forgotten it, having not been in the patent arena for a few years now...)

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/...01.htm#sect2701

And utility patents are now good for 20 years as the instructor said (I stand corrected), if filed on or after June 8, 1995. For applications that were pending on and for patents that were still in force on June 8, 1995, the patent term is either 17 years from the issue date or 20 years from the filing date of the earliest US application to which priority is claimed (excluding provisional applications), the longer term applying. Thanks to the five people who PM'd me to let me know how old I am!

The design patent information is indeed correct (and I knew that, but had forgotten it, having not been in the patent arena for a few years now...)

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/...01.htm#sect2701

You're right about the length of utility patents... but the use of those are very rare, and somewhat phasing out. The vast majority (well over 75%) of new patents, whether they're new products or inventions, are filed as a design patent. Since there is no formal disclosure of prior artwork with a utility patent, there is a chance that your utility patent will not last if someone provides artwork of a similar idea.

The whole patent system in the US is very screwy.

I know this hasn't been talked about for a page or so, but I'm going to miss that little bit of trees that used to be by The Beast entrance. I would always duck in there for a quick minute or two of shade on a sunny day after riding The Beast. However, I think it's a trade I'm willing to make for DB.

Will potential bystanders get wet in any way near Diamondback's splashdown?

Jordan Hill - Georgetown, KY

The ride has been designed to keep the water in and around the splashdown area. The area by the splashdown isn't flat which would have created an issue with water settling in one area, right in front of LaRosa's.

:D:D :D

That's me!