Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Not really. The height of the rails are at about 12'-15' above grade in that area. The bottom of the actual track may be lower, but not much lower than 10'. The exit to the Crypt will still be able to be utilized next year, which means that the track is at least 8-9' above the pavement.

Yes that is lower, but as mentioned before Beast is more in the woods then Diamondback and has never had a problem with deers so I personally would not worry about any deer coming close to Diamondback.

So we can all sit back, hold on (or not), and enjoy the amazing coaster that will be Diamondback in 2009. :lol:

^ Thats more accurate then my "measurements." lol :lol:

From the KI website

Maximum Height: 230'

Length of First Drop: 215'

Which would mean that part right there should be 15' off the ground.

seems reasonable, but there is a 215' drop from the top of the lift hill, the change in elevation from the lift hill to the bottom of the first drop can vary by a few feet making it 12' off the ground instead of 15'

Deers? I love the word. We should totally make it the plural form :lol:

Oops...lol :lol:

seems reasonable, but there is a 215' drop from the top of the lift hill, the change in elevation from the lift hill to the bottom of the first drop can vary by a few feet making it 12' off the ground instead of 15'

Ah...I see what you are saying. Looking at the drop again it probably is only 12' and not 15' off of the ground.

Yep. It will be interesting to see what, if anything they add to the Diamondback train storage area.

As a side note, the structural steel on the Coney Mall side of the station is mostly in place. Additionally, I spied a concrete truck where the grove of trees by The Beast entrance used to reside. Looks like they might be pouring some of the footings in that area.

So looking at the station, since it now has a partial floor, you board from the right, exit to the left and back, go under the track turn into the station from the brake run, and wrap around the station, going under the stairs leading to the station, and into the gift shop/on-ride photo booth??

Actually, makes sense to me! ^_^

In this case, it is a drill. They are digging out the footings for that area so that they can place the rebar cage inside the hole and pour the concrete for the footing. And of course, that is not to be confused with a soil core machine that takes soil cores. Soil cores are used to determine the type of the soil and the bearing capacity of the soil. That is used by the structural engineer to design the foundations to adequately support the loads of the ride. Back in 2006, I actually spotted a soil core machine back behind Flight of Fear on the final weekend, which it turns out was for preliminary Firehawk work.

Now, they did use piles for Drop Tower, but that is because it is a really tall tower, and needs lots of lateral support from its foundation (as it is essentially just a giant flagpole sticking out of the ground).

I know some people will say things like I am a tree hugger and/or a whiner...but it is killing me to see all the trees that are giving their lives for this coaster.

sidebyside.jpg

I miss The Beast days when every possible tree was saved during it's construction.

I remember at KIC Day someone asked at the Q&A session if the fountain trees were going to be trimmed...the answer was something to the affect of "people complain already that there isn't enough shade...so we walk a fine line of saving them when we can". I find it hard to believe that all of the trees that are being removed for Diamondback HAD to be...but I guess I will see for sure when this is all complete.

Keep in mind that often when using heavy equipment for construction, the equipment will often roll over the soil that is above the roots of said trees. This can lead to compaction of the soil, and ultimately the death of the tree, forcing the tree to have to be cut down anyway.

And need I remind you, The Beast when it opened seemed a lot more open than it does today, as more trees have grown in over its lifetime.