Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

WOW i am really surprised they are building the queue line and station over by white water canyon and by nick U. i thought it was going to be over by the BLSC like right were that path lead to. are they gonna add that back in there? just wondering it would be a great spot to take pics of the splashdown.

WOW i am really surprised they are building the queue line and station over by white water canyon and by nick U. i thought it was going to be over by the BLSC like right were that path lead to. are they gonna add that back in there? just wondering it would be a great spot to take pics of the splashdown.

I think it is the wiser move on Kings Islands part. If the enterance were to begin on the midway between Beast and BLSC it would become crowded on there. Anyways the Nick U-Crypt midway needed a good ride!

Railrider, perfect chance to pull out your protractor.

Is it just me or is the entry into the first drop Gentler then the exit?

It does appear that way, but that photo is somewhat deceiving. The base of the drop is not descending solely in the vertical direction, but also has about a 15-20 degree banking at the base (plus a slight turn, but obviously you already knew that). Since the ride is designed around the seated, 'heart-line' position of the riders (about 2.5 feet above the track), the track may not seem to flow smooth, but for us riding, it'll be like riding a wonderful wave of silk. ;)

Ok this was a little difficult because of the angle of the drop, the picture and the curve.

So using the main drop support, which by all accounts looks to be true vertical or as close as possible, that is my vertical or 90degree refrence for the drop. Basically worked my way out from that main support and used my trusty protractor to figure out the angle of the drop. DB doesnt hit 74 degrees until after it passes the main drop support and the pull out seems to be a little sharper than the initial drop in. I think that will lead DB to pull some nice G's at the bottom of the hill. I listed angles on the picture bellow to represent angle of drop at various points on the track. Its by no means completely accurate, but by no means was I able to disprove that DB does not hit 74 degrees, that was completely obvious...

Diamondback11120820028.jpg

^^No, I agree, that actually looks like 74 degrees to me!!....Yay!!!!! :D

Right now Diamondback's station looks like a big steel box. I hope they actually do something with it and don't pull a Behemoth.

The thing is, haven't the blue prints proven that it will be, indeed, a somewhat themed station a la Silver Bullet?!?

^^^The first drop on Behemoth and Diamondback look just about identical, save for the one degree difference in drop which, if you can tell any difference with the naked eye would really be impressive! The longer trains on Behemoth make for an amazing experience coming down that first drop in the back of the train, as you literally float off your seat the entire way down.

So looking at the station, since it now has a partial floor, you board from the right, exit to the left and back, go under the track turn into the station from the brake run, and wrap around the station, going under the stairs leading to the station, and into the gift shop/on-ride photo booth??

Actually, makes sense to me! ^_^

Check out the above pics. Enter from the left, exit on the right. A little less complicated if you ask me :)

So looking at the station, since it now has a partial floor, you board from the right, exit to the left and back, go under the track turn into the station from the brake run, and wrap around the station, going under the stairs leading to the station, and into the gift shop/on-ride photo booth??

Actually, makes sense to me!

Actually, if you look at the station art, the train goes to the right, and you can see the gates to enter the ride is on the left of the train.

^^So the queue is opposite from where you enter the station??

The longer trains on Behemoth make for an amazing experience coming down that first drop in the back of the train, as you literally float off your seat the entire way down.

Good thing D-back will have the same trains!! :D

Reminds me, for your first ride on DB, where will you sit??

Now I know that most, if not all of you, will go to the front.

Though it will fell great to have the back of the train push you down the hill, but on the otherhand, the back will be awesome because you will get pulled down.

I'm going for the back. I love hanging over a big hill but it kinda lost it's effect after TTD and MF. Coming over the hill with some speed is a great feeling, take Maverick's first hill as a perfect example (obviously the 97 angle adds to the effect).

I'm going for the back. I love hanging over a big hill but it kinda lost it's effect after TTD and MF. Coming over the hill with some speed is a great feeling, take Maverick's first hill as a perfect example (obviously the 97 angle adds to the effect).

I thought it was 95 degree drop??? http://www.rcdb.com/id3570.htm

Your right, I'm just accident prone/forgetful.

I thought it was 95 degree drop??? http://www.rcdb.com/id3570.htm

The 97 degree drop is located at Hersheypark on Fahrenheit 97. Maverick's drop is ONLY 95 degrees. :rolleyes: haha

^^The back, no question!! I just hope they don't start out by assigning seats!!!

Yeah, I'm sure that they will assign seats. =[

Heck, BLSC still does. But it'll only be like that for DB for the first year.

Well, it was my understanding that CW was assigning seats in the beginning of the season due to crowd control reasons, but after the beginning of June they stopped, and in all of my 3 visits this year (the first being in mid-ish June) I never saw seating assigning.

I mean, Ohio has a very sophisticated coaster riding audience/population, so I feel confident if indeed seat assigning is crowd control related, that KI won't need seat assigning given their coaster riding and etiquette experience! Time will tell...