Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Does anybody here have a picture of KI's skyline with some construction of Diamondback going on, perferably during a sunset. I need to use it as a refrence picture for a art project! Almost every art project this year that could be KI, is KI. So far I have a Diamondback mask, a Diamondback bowl, and now a KI Skyline Landscape!

Just listened to the Behind the Thrills Podcast where Mr. Helbig did an interview and gives ALOT of information regarding Diamondback, during which he said that they shold be putting up anywhere between 4-6 pieces per day, 8 at maximum very soon. Trackwork is also slated to be done anywhere between December 20th and January 4th.

Shot from my phone on the 14th, I dont know if it will help, but its all I have and it does give perspective

bb3.jpg

Shot from Visitor Drop Off

bb1-1.jpg

Thanks a ton! I'll just draw the sunset in but this is the perfect distance and zoom!

Well Im glad I can help. Now I want to see the finished piece....

"My" pond (Landen area) was iced over this morning, with about 1/4" dusting of snow. I must say that it was hilarious watching the ducks landing on ice! :lol:

Video (Not of my pond, though)

(Back on Topic) ^Nice phone pix of DB from KI Drive! Kinda makes Vortex seem like it's sinking or something... hey....where ....did ....everybody....get ....those.....tomatoes....hey [splat]

I have to agree, those ducks landing on the ice were rather comical.

And back on topic, it seems as if they have begun to place the bar joists for the station roof. And if you check the webcam, those things hanging on the side of the catwalk immediately outside of the station are concrete blankets. These blankets protect the concrete from the cold (and preventing the water in the concrete mix from freezing, which would produce bad concrete) during the curing process.

Also, they are pouring some footings near the Crypt and have added another piece of track and support for the second hill.

^^2nd hill looking darn sexy!!

So CoastersRZ, when they grout the supports to the footings will they have to bust out some heaters for that as well??

I believe during a Behemoth construction tour in January last year the CWMania guys said many of the footings had space heaters at the base for the grout...I believe?

Just listened to the Behind the Thrills Podcast where Mr. Helbig did an interview and gives ALOT of information regarding Diamondback, during which he said that they shold be putting up anywhere between 4-6 pieces per day, 8 at maximum very soon. Trackwork is also slated to be done anywhere between December 20th and January 4th.

Do you have a link to this?

It all depends on the temperature. There will be concrete blankets placed around the supports to keep out the cold weather. If it is cold enough they will provide space heaters to keep the water in the grout from freezing (which would be a very bad thing because then the grout could not cure correctly.) The process of concrete and grout curing is an exothermic process. That means that when they cure, the chemical reaction releases heat. So the concrete blankets are keeping the heat from the chemical reaction in to keep the water from freezing.

Water does not evaporate from concrete. Instead, the water chemically reacts with the cement in a process called hydration, which is when the heat in the curing process is produced.

Is that enough technical information for you on concrete and the curing process?

It all depends on the temperature. There will be concrete blankets placed around the supports to keep out the cold weather. If it is cold enough they will provide space heaters to keep the water in the grout from freezing (which would be a very bad thing because then the grout could not cure correctly.) The process of concrete and grout curing is an exothermic process. That means that when they cure, the chemical reaction releases heat. So the concrete blankets are keeping the heat from the chemical reaction in to keep the water from freezing.

Water does not evaporate from concrete. Instead, the water chemically reacts with the cement in a process called hydration, which is when the heat in the curing process is produced.

Is that enough technical information for you on concrete and the curing process?

I know when we built our house last year, that our basement walls were poured in early January, besides using the blankets they also used antifreeze admix to prevent these issues. I think that is something that is very possible with the concrete poured for Diamondback and this will greatly increase the set tempretaure tolerance

had an arguement at school.

kid" Vortex is bein taken out!

"uh no there not"

"yea huh"

"where did you hear this at?"

"KICentral"

"o. and who tould you this?"

"some guy named the pretender"

"i think you mean the interperter"

"yeah! thats him"

"well if he said it then it must be true" :rolleyes:

Well, The Vortex is being taken out... eventually. We just do not know when that time will be. Whether it is two years from now, five, fifteen or thirty years from now, we simply do not know. But steel coasters, unlike wood coasters cannot last forever, without substantial maintenance and replacing sections of track/supports. Look at Phantom`s Revenge at Kennywood as a prime example of maintaining a steel coaster.

had an arguement at school.

kid" Vortex is bein taken out!

"uh no there not"

"yea huh"

"where did you hear this at?"

"KICentral"

"o. and who tould you this?"

"some guy named the pretender"

"i think you mean the interperter"

"yeah! thats him"

"well if he said it then it must be true" :rolleyes:

I remember before i joined KIC and just lurked the website, for months i thought Interpreter was pronounced Interupter, Innerpredator, and alot of other weird names. But then around October of last year, i finally learned how to pronounce it. I have no idea how I have a B+ in College Prep English!

This is way off topic but I though Morgan was called in because because Steel Phantom's inversions were too rough. I didn't know there were maintenance issues.

I know I talk about it alot but... wohoo! They are getting close to working in the ravine. The second hill is lookin great!