Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

had an arguement at school.

kid" Vortex is bein taken out!

"uh no there not"

"yea huh"

"where did you hear this at?"

"KICentral"

"o. and who tould you this?"

"some guy named the pretender"

"i think you mean the interperter"

"yeah! thats him"

"well if he said it then it must be true" :rolleyes:

I remember before i joined KIC and just lurked the website, for months i thought Interpreter was pronounced Interupter, Innerpredator, and alot of other weird names. But then around October of last year, i finally learned how to pronounce it. I have no idea how I have a B+ in College Prep English!

I always thought it was pronounced the interupter especialy when I got banned the first day i joined the sight LOL. But, I soon learned

Just listened to the Behind the Thrills Podcast where Mr. Helbig did an interview and gives ALOT of information regarding Diamondback, during which he said that they shold be putting up anywhere between 4-6 pieces per day, 8 at maximum very soon. Trackwork is also slated to be done anywhere between December 20th and January 4th.

Do you have a link to this?

Yep you can click here, or if you're having trouble with that you can always listen to it via iTunes. Enjoy!

I was referring to the fact that during this off season, Kennywood has hired Morgan to fabricate all new track (to match the layout of the existing track) to replace the old Arrow track that still remained from the original Steel Phantom. Ie, the lift hill, first drop and part of the second hill and drop are getting new track this off season.

Shot from my phone on the 14th, I dont know if it will help, but its all I have and it does give perspective

bb3.jpg

Shot from Visitor Drop Off

bb1-1.jpg

Thanks a ton! I'll just draw the sunset in but this is the perfect distance and zoom!

Well Im glad I can help. Now I want to see the finished piece....

I'll probably have it by Monday, hopefully my art teacher approves of having a rollercoaster in my painting. She hasn't cared about it before so I don't think it will be a problem.

I remember before i joined KIC and just lurked the website, for months i thought Interpreter was pronounced Interupter, Innerpredator, and alot of other weird names. But then around October of last year, i finally learned how to pronounce it. I have no idea how I have a B+ in College Prep English!

i remember when your name was angryemobeaver, i always thought it was angrymobeaver. :P

Well, The Vortex is being taken out... eventually. We just do not know when that time will be. Whether it is two years from now, five, fifteen or thirty years from now, we simply do not know. But steel coasters, unlike wood coasters cannot last forever, without substantial maintenance and replacing sections of track/supports. Look at Phantom`s Revenge at Kennywood as a prime example of maintaining a steel coaster.

AngryVortex.jpg

Especially when you see the height comparison from KI's skyline!

ok i know you guys dont want to hear this but Diamondback is only like 15 feet taler than SoB and the first drop is almost the same -_-

Yes but the skyline compares it to Vortex. And it just shows how big of a monstor Diamondback is. Plus, Diamondback will be a ton smoother and have a ton more airtime. Plus, it's a B&M for heavens sake! KI has needed a B&M forever!

ok i know you guys dont want to hear this but Diamondback is only like 15 feet taler than SoB and the first drop is almost the same -_-

Yes but the skyline compares it to Vortex. And it just shows how big of a monstor Diamondback is. Plus, Diamondback will be a ton smoother and have a ton more airtime. Plus, it's a B&M for heavens sake! KI has needed a B&M forever!

Ok. Well let me say this. Are you sure it will be smother? Call me crazy but i am pretty sure that Diamondback isn finshed. And since it isnt finshed i am pretty sure you havent ridden it. Mabye you have ridden other B&M coasters that may of been smooth but you dont know about Diamondback :rolleyes:

Ok. Well let me say this. Are you sure it will be smother? Call me crazy but i am pretty sure that Diamondback isn finshed. And since it isnt finshed i am pretty sure you havent ridden it. Mabye you have ridden other B&M coasters that may of been smooth but you dont know about Diamondback :rolleyes:

^^Except that B&M uses precision engineering and the steel manufacturer in Batavia uses sophisticated fabrication to ensure with virtual 100% accuracy how the coaster will ride and to make it as smooth as possible.

Gotta side with Jackson on this one!

Skaterboy- 0, BEAST1079- 1

In response to Skaterboy,

I understand your point and would agree if it were in response to someone saying Diamondback will be better than Nitro or Behemoth. However, if you ride in a Porsche you'll have a fast ride on a stiff sport suspension. Ride in a hummer and you'll feel like your in a tank. Ride in a Lexus and you'll have an incredibly smooth ride (and I miss mine). You can count on certain things from B&M and their hypers will always be smooth and full of airtime.

Thanks for the info on Phantom's Revenge RZ. It was news to me.

SonofBeast07, see my post from yesterday morning in which I explain what those tarp like things are that are hanging off of the catwalk outside the station. (Also I provided a detailed description of the concrete curing process yesterday, but will not go into detail about that again here, you can find that post by searching back a few pages if you desire).

And back on topic, it seems as if they have begun to place the bar joists for the station roof. And if you check the webcam, those things hanging on the side of the catwalk immediately outside of the station are concrete blankets. These blankets protect the concrete from the cold (and preventing the water in the concrete mix from freezing, which would produce bad concrete) during the curing process.