Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

From what I have seen on the web cam definately looks like Clifford will be leaving the site. Looks like the boom has completely been disassembled.

Also the pullout of the 2nd hill and curve in to the 3rd looks like it could be an insane head chopper at high speed, where it crosses under the MCBR drop.

I think it will seem slow at the beginning but feel that it has gone by fast by the end. This almost 200 page so far thread will be a small memory of the past. But, I'd sure rather have Diamondback in real life than experiencing a thread about the topic in real life! Only 129 more days!

I emailed Don another question for the blog and got an AutoReply saying:

I am currently out of the office until Monday, December 15, 2008. I will respond to your e-mail upon my return.

Thanks,

Don Helbig

So I doubt we'll get blog updates for a while.

I just watched Shiekra and Griffon's water brakes. Is there any chance that Diamondback's spray is going to be as big as theirs? It seems that those two coasters are really coming into the water brake at a high rate of speed, and after coming out of that last helix, it doesn't seem to me that DB would be carrying the same amount of speed. What do the experts think?

They're placing lots of track behind the final helix, on the left side of the Crypt.

Im not sure if that is track or if that is Cliffords boom disassembled and ready for loading. The sections look to be very open which tends me to think its the latice work on the boom and not the box spine of the track.

I bet your right, I thought it was track cuz I saw an empty flatbed leaving there. But there's no support work done and they're doing supports in the back half. I'm surprised your resolution is clear enough to see that it's the boom though, I just see red fuzz.

I'm now jealous that maybe everyone else hase a clearer view than I.

No my resolution is not that clear, but the structures dont look solid enough even with poor resolution to be track. That why I am guessing its Clifford boom. The pieces seem to be open where they B&M box spine should be, but like you said the resolution makes it hard.

Yes, I do believe that Clifford`s work on Diamondback is not yet done. Likely, the crane could not safely crawl down in the valley and make it up to the other side, so in order to get the crane to where they needed it, they had to take it apart and move it piece by piece. Additionally, they might not have wanted to roll the entire crane over the new asphalt maintenance path for fear of damaging that path and having to replace it.

Yes, I do believe that Clifford`s work on Diamondback is not yet done. Likely, the crane could not safely crawl down in the valley and make it up to the other side, so in order to get the crane to where they needed it, they had to take it apart and move it piece by piece. Additionally, they might not have wanted to roll the entire crane over the new asphalt maintenance path for fear of damaging that path and having to replace it.

yea i was thinking that to :blink:

I would say you are right about being able to manuver through the valley with the full boom attached, but I dont see removing the boom being able to protect the path. After all it is the crawler tracks and the shear weight of the cabin that would damage the path. The boom while very sturdy is made to be as light weight as possible, so I would say that the crawlers would still damage the path even without the boom.