Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

That picture of the ever growing third hill looks insane. The pull out looks to be very quick, and the angle looks steep. I think that is going to take us by surprise. I've thought for a while that the second and third hills are going to be where "it's" at.

The 2nd hill looks amazing, definate ejector hill. The speed at the bottom of the ravine is going to be awesome.

The 3rd seems like it could be the biggest surprise of the entire ride. I think the curve leading in and up the 3rd hill will pull some nice lateral g's and then will offer an abrupt pop of air at the top. Could be the best hill on the coaster because of the numerous different forces that it will provide and how quickly they will change.

Yes I am quoting myself from December 4th, but as I see this pullout and topping of the 3rd hill, I think I am in love with this hill. Looks like an ejector to me.

I am startled at how quick this 3rd hill is, unlike the second hill where it slowly pulls out of the turn and glides over the top, it looks like this will throw you on your side and back, then yank you over the 3rd hill for some insane airtime.

Definately one of the best parts of the ride.

And what a tour it was! Brian did an incredible job taking us around the park and giving us an engineer's perspective on the construction of the ride. He fielded all of our questions very well and we had a great time!

Brian, Coaster Cats and UC can't thank you enough for taking us around the park!

The group is only for current UC students. As far as events go, there may be some events open to anyone interested, but as far as I know, most events are for members only. I will talk with the group president about that. It is probably a case by case situation, depending on the event. The Facebook group is for anyone interested in the group, but membership is only for current UC students, as it is an official UC student group.

The 2nd hill looks amazing, definate ejector hill. The speed at the bottom of the ravine is going to be awesome.

The 3rd seems like it could be the biggest surprise of the entire ride. I think the curve leading in and up the 3rd hill will pull some nice lateral g's and then will offer an abrupt pop of air at the top. Could be the best hill on the coaster because of the numerous different forces that it will provide and how quickly they will change.

Yes I am quoting myself from December 4th, but as I see this pullout and topping of the 3rd hill, I think I am in love with this hill. Looks like an ejector to me.

Completely agree!! I also have high hopes for the hammerhead, which if not maybe my favorite part on Behemoth is definitely it's hidden gem!!

However, being completely objective and fair, in my opinion I can't see how that 5th hill trim won't always be used...maybe even to Raging Bull proportions!?! If so, I still think a dull 5th hill will be the only weak spot on this baby behemoth!

^ Tigellinus, I agree with you if they do use that trim. The third hill on Behemoth is an absolute monster airtime hill when the trim is off. Unfortunately, when the trim is on it completely kills the air in the front of the train, much the same way the trim acts after the tunnel on Maverick. It looks as though the same will apply with the hill following the turnaround on Diamondback, so I'm hoping it's used very sparingly if at all.

^^Wait a minute...I consider the 3rd "hill" on Behemoth to be the hammerhead since I believe KI is considering D-back's hammerhead a "hill" for accounting purposes, so to speak, but I know what you're talking about.

Much to my surprise most of my Behemoth rides were during lower temp. days and there was virtually no trimming and the MCBR was bearly even grabbing!?!

However, since D-back is more compact and a little taller than Behemoth, it just depends how much speed can be burned off on that semi-helix...but if the trim can be less essential then I think the 5th hill will be another monster!! Guess we'll find out next year...

^ It also looks as though, per the animation video, that there may be a magnetic brake right at the beginning of the MCBR. If that is part of the ride that will automatically kill speed no matter what, and I think the trim (5th hill) is there more to cut the forces in the helix. On that same note, I'm also thinking that may be an added reason to ride in the back, because at least you'll still end up with some air even if the trim is in use.

Are we honestly critiquing the ride right now about having one trim brake before the fifth hill and magnetic trims at the mid course brake run? I`m positive that these trims will not hinder the overall ride experience and that most of the general public will not even notice/care. Slowing down at the mi course break run likely is part of the design to safely experience the remaining portion of the ride. Not to mention that it gives guests a little breather during the ride.

Keep in mind that this is the tallest, fastest and longest steel roller coaster that Kings Island has ever built. I`m positive that it will be a huge hit and have long lines for years to come, with or without trim brakes being utilized.

Even if the MCBR does clamp down I would still look for the return hills to provide plenty of airtime. Look at Apollos Chariot, the MCBR clamps down pretty hard, but bunny hops back to the station provide ejector airtime.

I am not worried about the 5th hill trim, the MCBR or any mag brakes. DB is going to be an intense ride filled with airtime, lateral g's and plenty of speed.

I agree with most everything said above. The brakes will certainly not matter to the GP, nor to me most likely given their placement, but as anyone who has ridden Raging Bull can attest (as mentioned earlier today), one trim brake can make a world of difference between a great ride or an average one, IMHO. All that said, I am really looking forward to Diamondback, as anyone who knows me can attest!

Are we honestly critiquing the ride right now about having one trim brake before the fifth hill and magnetic trims at the mid course brake run? I`m positive that these trims will not hinder the overall ride experience and that most of the general public will not even notice/care. Slowing down at the mi course break run likely is part of the design to safely experience the remaining portion of the ride. Not to mention that it gives guests a little breather during the ride.

Keep in mind that this is the tallest, fastest and longest steel roller coaster that Kings Island has ever built. I`m positive that it will be a huge hit and have long lines for years to come, with or without trim brakes being utilized.

Come on, it's Cedar Fair. You KNOW they will use both brakes and use them to their utmost ride killing potential. The MCBR will be set up just like all the others, if not a complete stop than almost. The trim brake will be on full power too.

That said, I'm sure that Diamondback will be a great coaster, and brakes or not, I'll ride it. If they use the brakes, though, it will be the difference between having just another steel coaster and having an awesome steel coaster.

I object to your last statement. Until you ride Diamondback, you will not know how the trim brakes impact the ride. It could be that even with the trim brakes on, that Diamondback is one of the greatest coasters in the state. Until the ride is open and you`ve ridden it, its hard to say what impact the trims may or may not have on the overall ride experience.

^^Agreed. I've been on Behemoth 50+ times, and have had only 2-3 rides with heavy trimming...most other rides were not trimmed, which made me a believer in trusting CF.

Also, D-back has no trims until the 5th hill, so drop through hammerhead could be one of the best steel coaster experiences ever!!

5th hill trim is a toss up...since it's so close to the MCBR, it's possible it's either not used or used minimally...time will tell. However, I have no doubt that MCBR thru Splashdown will also be phenomenal!!

Bottom line is KI is my home park and I want to proudly say D-back is the best coaster in the world, so I just want what's best to make that be the case!!