Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

If this ordeal over brakes escalates anymore, I think the mods might have to step in and break it up.

Okay, I'm sorry. That was completely unnecessary, but it sure beats finishing the research paper I need to turn in...

Just as long as the trims aren't obvious (referring to feeling them slowing the train down) then I'll be happy. It just kills me on The Beast though, when you can easily feel the brakes holding it back from unleashing it's true fury.

Other than Mantis (and on it I was actually thankful) and Raging Bull, I have never ridden a B & M coaster that I thought was noticeably affected by braking operations.

Well, that seems to be a pretty good sign then. And you're definitely right about Raging Bull, but that didn't stop me from riding it 10 times in one day a few years back.

Well, the trains did come to a stop at the end of each ride...but that is intended! :)

Terpy, who realized that is "noticeably affected by braking operations!"

Of course, this isn't always the case...but we certainly are thankful when it goes according to plan.

It seems that if we stayed on topic, this thread would not be 208 pages long. :)

It also seems that this thread has lost its original appeal and purpose, much like many, many others. I have taken to asking people over AIM if there are DB updates, because any update will certainly get lost in a thread like this while everyone here is bickering for pages and pages about something completely irrelevant.

I agree 100%

And keep in mind that the station is no where near completion yet. Do you see plywood anywhere in Firehawk`s station? They started installing some plywood sheathing today on Diamondback`s station. Just look at Ryan`s post and the photo that Don submitted today of the progress on the station.

Guest rcfreak339

Oh yes I know it's no where near completion and I doubt it will looks like Firehawks but I just looked at it and thought "wow there really looks like Firehawks station" and johnfromdaboats even with the uncompleted station it looks nothing like X-Flights old station.

Other than Mantis (and on it I was actually thankful) and Raging Bull, I have never ridden a B & M coaster that I thought was noticeably affected by braking operations.

On all the B&Ms I have ridden I haven't noticed the trims at all. I didn't even notice them on Mantis. Of course the last time I rode Mantis I was trying to keep my wallet from falling out of my back pocket!

I think the term "trim brake" that is being discussed are brakes located on the ride other than the MCBR, or station brakes.

Examples:

Mantis - located on the first drop to "trim" the speed heading into the loop.

Behemoth - 1:24, 1:30, 1:37 are all considered to be "trim brakes" and 1:46 would be the MCBR.

Just trying to help with any confusion!

ugh, i'd wish they'd re-track The Beast.... they may as well call it "trim break the ride"... shame.... maybe that could be in the budget next year after Diamondback has stopped drawing major construction money.

It's not as simple as retracking the ride. As many know, the reason for all the trims on The Beast is simply to keep the ride's structure intact. The engineering standards used 30 years ago were no where near what is considered the norm this day and age.

Well, I wouldn't say nowhere near. Besides, Beast...1979....and a bit over 20 years later but less than ten years ago...Son of Beast...2000. Oh, wait, I agree. The engineering standards used 30 years ago were nowhere near what was used on Son of Beast, at least. In fact, Son of Beast wouldn't have even been contemplated in 1979. Even in 2000, no one but Roller Coaster Corporation of America and its affiliates would build such a thing, and the trains ended up having to be supplied by Premier Rides. And we all know how successful RCCA has been since. Why they sold dozens of rides in the past several years. What? You say they didn't? Hmmm.

Wonder if they designed Son of Beast to have trim brakes from the get-go. What? What?

Terpy, who often likes to ask Socratic questions...

Coaster enthusiasts, please be advised that we're planning a major coaster event for 2009 that will include ERT on Diamondback. The event will be open to card-carrying members of all recognized coaster clubs (American Coaster Enthusiasts, Great Ohio Coaster Club, Western New York Coaster Club, etc.). You won't want to miss it! Details will be announced in January.

~Don Helbig~Blog Update

I would assume this event will also be accompanied by possibly the worlds largest gravy buffet or atleast the largest gravy buffet in KI history ;)

^^Sounds like Day 2 of Coastermania piggy-backing from CP will be KI (similarly to 07 with Geauga Lake being Day 2 after CP).

However, I gotta feeling the D-back-athon events hosted by KIC, etc. will have more intimate "E" in ERT, but with Costermania being June 6-7, certainly this will be one of the earlier D-back ERT events!