Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

That hammerhead looks like its gonna be hella good. Definitely looking forward to that element.

I'm still interested to see what is done with the bottom of the first hill...it's awfully close to the Crypt's queue and I fear for the park when (not if) someone decides that it'd be funny to hurl some object just as the train whizzes by at 80 miles an hour.

Before you know it Diamodback trains will be here. The dark cold days of winter will be gone. We will soon be talking about how our first ride was and how long the line was. Before you know it we will realize that Diamondback had a great first year!!

On that note can you beleive that FoF 14th year of operation! I remeber when that ride was new! :wacko:

Wouldn't it be the 13th year of opperation??

I believe he means when Diamondback has completed its first year of operation, Flight of Fear will have completed its fourteenth...it opened in 1996..and 2009 would be its 14th year of operation. It's the old thing of one year old, first anniversary, but having operated two seasons...at the end of 1997 it would have operated two seasons, but be a year old.

On schedule, and first seats to be auctioned off for charity:

http://www.wlwt.com/news/18345701/detail.html

^Well, if you subract 2009 by 1996, it equals 13.

I explained just that in my post two above yours I just quoted. Here, I'll repeat that portion:

It's the old thing of one year old, first anniversary, but having operated two seasons...at the end of 1997 it would have operated two seasons, but be a year old.

UCBengal985 then explained it more elegantly than did I:

Count each year from 1996 to 2009, including both 1996 and 2009....

Terpy, who did just that before posting about this the first time, to be sure he wasn't nuts about this one...

It all depends on how the construction contract is structured, the weather and decisions made by the construction company. It would not surprise me if they worked at least part of the day. It also would not surprise me if they didn't.

Why don't you all who can watch for those of us who will work all day today, like old Terpy?

:)

On schedule, and first seats to be auctioned off for charity:

http://www.wlwt.com/news/18345701/detail.html

From that article:

If you want to be part of the inaugural ride of Diamondback, Kings Island will be auctioning off the first seats for charity. News 5 will bring you details on when you can beginning bidding on those seats as soon as the information is made available.

I won't hold my breath too long to hear this info announced for Cincinnati Children's Hospital in March, but good catch, Terpy!!

Wanna know some other charity ride info....unlike Behemoth's or Maverick's charity ride events...it's going to be more than just the 96 seats (the 3 trains) auctioned off, but likely a few other trains as well, and with opening bid minimums <$100.

Tiggy, just call me Patrick Jane, "The Mentalist" (my hero!) Except that show is starting to use the "affair card" in their plot lines a little too much...

Really? Ever see Millennium Force's return run...and the queue leading up to the station house?

Good point, however compare the speed of the trains at both points. A wild guess would be that a train on the Force travels 45-50 miles an hour while Diamondback's trains will be doing 80.

Griffon is another example of a coaster whose trains whiz by at a pretty high speed (right under a pedestrian bridge nonetheless) without much rider protection. All I'm saying is hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Good point, however compare the speed of the trains at both points. A wild guess would be that a train on the Force travels 45-50 miles an hour while Diamondback's trains will be doing 80.

According to Cedar Point's marketing team, Millennium Force's trains are still speeding along around 65 MPH at the brake run, so the speed would be a bit higher at the bunny hop over the exit.

Griffon is another example of a coaster whose trains whiz by at a pretty high speed (right under a pedestrian bridge nonetheless) without much rider protection. All I'm saying is hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

As of December 16th, there were no plans for netting over the midway, however, the Ohio Department of Agriculture may say otherwise. In my opinion, the only trouble spot will be at the bottom of the first hill, along The Crypt's new exit. Since more and more guests feel entitled to climb over fences, it will be interesting to see how KI blocks out that area.

^Well, if you subract 2009 by 1996, it equals 13.

Count each year from 1996 to 2009, including both 1996 and 2009. This really isn't rocket science.

Alright. But I'm saying that it hasn't been a whole year of operation until the 1997 season.

But let's not argue over something silly like this.

^Yes, I agree with you on that, so you're saying it's been there for 14 years, but has been in operation for 13 years because it takes a full season for it to be a year old.

So we're basically thinking the same thing, just looking at it differently. I see what you're saying by 14 years though.