Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Didn't Don say on the podcast that DB was supposed to be finished by Jan. 4th??

Last summer, Mr. Gramke stated that track erection was scheduled to be finished around Christmas/New Years. I would say that for a project of this scope, even if the prediction was a week or two off, that's still pretty good.

Normally, I'd agree, but flumes and shoot the chutes are being removed left and right, not unlike classic dark rides. See, for instance, Cedar Point as to flume removal, Six Flags Great Adventure and Kings Dominion for shoot the chutes removals...and there are many other examples. In any event, I doubt many would be impressed if Kings Island were (which I doubt that it is) the park with the most splashdowns on rides...

Which Goliath? Do you mean the one in California? Most people around here have not had that experience. Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia is a B and M. Titan and Goliath in California are both from Giovanola, but they are NOT clones. They aren't identical, or even close to it. To begin with, the Texas coaster is about 800 feet longer, ten feet taller, etc. The Texas version also seemed more intense to me than the California one:

Sorry to dig this up, but just to comment. Titan and Goliath are almost clones, with just two differences. Titan goes up higher, but the two drops (and thus, the heights/dimensions/layout) are the same following. The other difference is the "bonus helix" found on Titan, just after the airtime hill, leading into the MCBR. This adds the extra length to Titan's stats, and also those additional crushing Gs that Goliath lacked on your rides. So experience-wise, they are certainly not clones, even though their layouts are in fact nearly identical.

And to add to something a bit more recent, Carowinds has jumped the bandwagon and announced the removal of their log flume, further showing how fortunate KI is to have more than one splashing water ride.

Wait, does the Coca-Cola Oasis count as a perpetually splashing attraction?

They'll advertise the fact that for the most part it's a pretty standard B&M Hyper, but won't broadcast that?

Hmm....

With the exception of the handful of people who are really into coasters, no one cares if it's a standard B&M... nor do they really care that it is a B&M. Most people care that it'll be a fun and safe ride... which it will be.

[in my fake Japanese accent]

^Ingenious! I see you have mastered the way of the one-word post, ha! :lol:

[back in Ohioan accent, and on-topic]

Once, only the Eiffel Tower and Drop Zone dominated the tree line above Western Row. This morning, Diamondback resembles something of a spaghetti bowl in front of the tower. It is looking quite impressive, and Clifford will soon be bringing another peak into view.

Which Goliath? Do you mean the one in California? Most people around here have not had that experience. Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia is a B and M. Titan and Goliath in California are both from Giovanola, but they are NOT clones. They aren't identical, or even close to it. To begin with, the Texas coaster is about 800 feet longer, ten feet taller, etc. The Texas version also seemed more intense to me than the California one:

Sorry to dig this up, but just to comment. Titan and Goliath are almost clones, with just two differences. Titan goes up higher, but the two drops (and thus, the heights/dimensions/layout) are the same following. The other difference is the "bonus helix" found on Titan, just after the airtime hill, leading into the MCBR. This adds the extra length to Titan's stats, and also those additional crushing Gs that Goliath lacked on your rides. So experience-wise, they are certainly not clones, even though their layouts are in fact nearly identical.

And to add to something a bit more recent, Carowinds has jumped the bandwagon and announced the removal of their log flume, further showing how fortunate KI is to have more than one splashing water ride.

Wait, does the Coca-Cola Oasis count as a perpetually splashing attraction?

And for 2010 Carowinds is rumored to also get a B&M hyper... but lightning never strikes twice...

And it is that extra helix that IMO makes Titan an excelent Hyper coaster. Also the bonus helix is what I and other refer to as the centerfuge, because of the high g's you pull and the blackout or tunnel vision sensation it causes for a high percentage of riders.

Once, only the Eiffel Tower and Drop Zone dominated the tree line above Western Row. This morning, Diamondback resembles something of a spaghetti bowl in front of the tower. It is looking quite impressive, and Clifford will soon be bringing another peak into view.

I am amazed at how much of DB sticks out of the tree lines. I thought you might see the 1st, 2nd and possibly 3rd, but much much more is visible. Truley a new skyline for KI.

Yes, but theirs was an exclusive contract stating there would be no other Divers in North America for a certain amount of time. I believe that it has or will expire shortly.

Park management and builders usually make these contracts becasue it garners them exclusivity of either a certain ride type or technology for a stated time frame and also there is a slight discount for buying in bulk. Kind of like going to Sams Club, but on a much bigger scale.