Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

This is getting really old.

Here! Here! Well said Mr. Butcher. Beast1979, you should be thankful he even took the time out of his day to respond to you, yet despite that you reinterpret his statement to make some snide remark because your upset over season pass preview day getting canceled. I thought the minimum age to be on these boards was 13?

You, ABSOLUTELY do not know that they are saving money with this decision. You learned nothing. Quit making broad claims on here if you do not know what you speak of. Don said in his e-mail to you that the decision was made to give pass holders greater options than just a one day deal. I assure you, the decision to allow ERT every day, is not a small one, and takes some sound planning to go off right ever day. You do not know that the park is "saving money and overruling other's satisfactions". YOU do NOT know that is a fact, you don't, plain and simple. And if you do not know anything of the sort, then do not post it. That is as simple as anyone can be with you. That daily ERT is going to satisfy pass-holders much, much more than one day. You astound me, do you post things that you don't know to be true or can't back up just to see your post count go higher? Once again if you cannot provide substantive arguments and keep making attempts to skew the will of the park and its spokespersons, then why post?

This is getting really old.

Unless I'm a forgetful child, I've heard on this board many times that it was done to save money. Whether thats true or not, I do not know. But I do believe that some people on here have some credibility. So it's not like I'm going out there and making a blind post. Granted, I did not word it well at all and made it sound like a definitive fact, which I have a problem with. (Oh, By The Way, you should know that teaching works better then yelling! Just sos ya know) And it seems that people on this board are getting very picky and irritable lately. If there was 5 strait days of 20 degree weather and I said the snow would probably accumulate I would probably get flamed for it because I "Did not know that for sure". I think it's the offseason that does it, during the reg. season people are a lot more fun.

I'm not trying to start or continue a fight, I want to end one.

And how do you know how long it takes to test a ride? And its not just as easy as throw on the trains after completing the track and firing up the lift to test the ride.

Because teenageninja has been through the process of testing a new coaster.

Thanks Aaron, appreciate the defense. Just because you work at Coney Island and your getting your Masters in DAAP doesn't mean you know everything CoastersRZ, in fact your know it all attitude is really starting to get on my nerves.

As in George Strait?

That would be awesome 5 straight days of Strait at Kings Island ;)

Seriously though. Nobody has ever stated for fact that the SPPN was cancled to save money. Although it has been rumored or suggested as a possibility. I myself suggested it might have to do with a seasson pass sales goal not being reached by a certain date, but at no point did I state that as fact. Nor has anyone else except you Beast1979. Matter of fact you are the only person on this board who frequently posts things as fact that are not. The Diamondback station is complete, Electrical work is complete and now that the SPPN was cancled because of KI saving costs... You are also king of posting one word responses, but then adding crap saying its not a one word response, yet adds nothing to the discussion. Different members have told you nicely to post fact as fact and dont assume things as fact in which you have no idea and to cut out the one word responses that do nothing but add to your post count. Have you listend? No. Maybe that is why folks are begining to take a different tone with you now. Do I think you are a forgetful child? No, but I do think you are an immature child who has an issue with constructive criticism

Now back to Diamondback construction

Unless I'm a forgetful child, I've heard on this board many times that it was done to save money. Whether thats true or not, I do not know. But I do believe that some people on here have some credibility. So it's not like I'm going out there and making a blind post. Granted, I did not word it well at all and made it sound like a definitive fact, which I have a problem with. (Oh, By The Way, you should know that teaching works better then yelling! Just sos ya know) And it seems that people on this board are getting very picky and irritable lately. If there was 5 strait days of 20 degree weather and I said the snow would probably accumulate I would probably get flamed for it because I "Did not know that for sure". I think it's the offseason that does it, during the reg. season people are a lot more fun.

I'm not trying to start or continue a fight, I want to end one.

I, and others, would like to know where it is on this board, that you heard that it was done to save money. And where was it said by a park spokesperson, or other source who may even be remotely close to the park and its decision makers? The point was not that you said it was done to save money, it is that you said you had "learned" that it was, and not just that, but you "learned" that it was "more important to save money than satisfy people". That is a simply false statement, as you can not prove it, and stated it as such. I looked through the threads, and only in a very few instances did any members here even joke that the move was to save money, and perhaps none of them were close to the decision. Yet you now even state that you have heard it on this board, and that some people here have "credibility", the problem is you have credibility through being involved in what you speak of, that is how you acquire credibility. One person on here is credible in one subject while being not credible in others. Anyone on here who blatantly, once again the keyword is blatantly, states as a fact that the decision was made for reasons other than the park intended is certainly not credible. Especially when said person even communicated with a park official and was told why the decision was made.

It is one thing to state that idea as an opinion of why the move was made, and another thing entirely to pull your facts out of thin air. If you are going to say on here for the second time in less than a week when being questioned, that "You have read it many times" than please show the membership here where you "read" your information, because the rest of us here are not seeing what your "all-seeing eyes" have seen.

The majority of us on here have only been irritable, towards you, because you fail to put much careful thought into your posts. You are not the only one, but the most prevalent one as you post on here non-stop, that's not a crime but it makes you appear more immature than others. I was not yelling in the previous post, I was emphasizing important items in the post, I for one am sorry you took it that way. Not a single person here wants to have to criticize you, but you continue to make false claims and somewhat broadcast your own credibility to anyone who will listen.

I for one want to see you succeed, in life and when posting. Everyone here would like to be your friend, we are all on this site for a reason, we all love Kings Island. You like coasters and profess your knowledge of them, but you also profess your knowledge on everything else, when you would be more apt to listening, and reading others' posts in those topics who are knowledgeable and credible in those areas. It would only aid you in not coming under attack by so many on here. I and others on here are not trying to yell, we are trying to help you learn, but it seems seldom that you take the initiative to listen to many on here who are credible in their fields. We have, marketing majors, investment bankers, architects, engineers, writers, movie directors, scare professionals, doctors, and lawyers. You can tell what people do by how and what they write about. If you read carefully, as so many on here do, you can learn a lot. I know I have learned much from the wisdom of certain people on this forum. Just take the time Beast1979, we really do want you to succeed!

And how do you know how long it takes to test a ride? And its not just as easy as throw on the trains after completing the track and firing up the lift to test the ride.

Because teenageninja has been through the process of testing a new coaster.

Thanks Aaron, appreciate the defense. Just because you work at Coney Island and your getting your Masters in DAAP doesn't mean you know everything CoastersRZ, in fact your know it all attitude is really starting to get on my nerves.

I`m sorry if you took offense to my post. If you have had experience with testing coasters like Aaron said, then your post did not seem to reflect that to me. I`m sorry if that offended you.

But I take offense to you telling me I have a know it all attitude. I share insightful stuff related to construction that many on these boards find informative. And when I post about stuff, I generally know what I am talking about, and not just making stuff up or rethinking it as some others who have been pointed out in this very thread have been known to do. Never once have I proclaimed to know everything. And I do not have to share my construction knowledge on these boards. But many find that information interesting. I`ve been around this site long enough and know a lot of things about Kings Island that I may appear to know a lot, but I certainly do not know everything. ;)

Back to the original topic at hand. The brake run track for Diamondback now appears to be in place from the views offered by the webcam. I believe that piece was likely the last piece that Clifford the big red crane will lift into place for Diamondback. The final helix and the final piece of track likely can be complete with the smaller, more maneuverable white cranes.

Honestly, if they were only in it to save money, why would they have ERT every day? It is going to cost a lot more for even a 1/2 hour ERT every day than a 4 hour or even 8 hour SPPD. Plus it is Diamondback and another ride ERT.....so almost double the cost.

I remember seeing something on National Geographic when they were building Tatsu. If Tatsu is anything like Diamondback they will have to test the electrical systems, test the function of the trains, test the train empty several times, test the train with simulated weight several times, then state reps show up and they test it several times again, it was a month and a half long process with that ride.

It doesn't matter if Diamondback is anything like Tatsu or not, that's (in general) how a coaster gets tested. Even a wooden coaster goes through similar processes.

Guy1115, there is a reason why the park would want half an hour on ERT every day of the season versus having a five hour block one night. While they will pay more in labor costs for the early morning ERT, it gives pass holders a reason to make multiple visits throughout the season. If they are making multiple visits, in theory, they are going to be spending money inside the park on those multiple visits. So if the park can get pass holders into the park on more days, and spending more money on those days, then the increased labor costs will more than be offset.

Guy1115, there is a reason why the park would want half an hour on ERT every day of the season versus having a five hour block one night. While they will pay more in labor costs for the early morning ERT, it gives pass holders a reason to make multiple visits throughout the season. If they are making multiple visits, in theory, they are going to be spending money inside the park on those multiple visits. So if the park can get pass holders into the park on more days, and spending more money on those days, then the increased labor costs will more than be offset.

I agree. I'm not against it. I was just pointing out that the cancellation of SPPD has NOTHING to do with money or they wouldn't be entertaining the idea of ERT every day. Sorry for any confusion

On the topic of testing, don't they have to do the walk-through (for lack of a better term) with the wooden car to check that there aren't any clearnece issues like a place where someone could reach out and get injured by a part of the structure? That will be a lot of track to cover.

It's awesome to see the MCBR in.

My two cents on the SPPD/ ERT issue, I would much rather start every visit of the season with exclusive time on DB than have one special day. I would however be upset if I had planned on attending SPPD and it was cancelled but, life often takes unexpected turns. It's fair to complain but, I think it was a wise business decision and, if you have a problem with CF doing things to make money...stop coming to the park. If they don't make wise financial decisions that ensure revenues (espiecally in an ailing economy) they will go bankrupt and KI could be the next Hard Rock or Geauga (not that I think that would happen). I for one am extremely grateful to them for giving us the opportunity to ride such rides.

Unless I'm a forgetful child, I've heard on this board many times that it was done to save money. Whether thats true or not, I do not know. But I do believe that some people on here have some credibility. So it's not like I'm going out there and making a blind post.

Actually, you are. We're not trying to poke fun at you or hurt you Beast, but it gets really annoying when you post constantly without any thought, content or substantial knowledge to back up your posts. It clutters up the boards and gets really annoying.

Granted, I did not word it well at all and made it sound like a definitive fact, which I have a problem with. (Oh, By The Way, you should know that teaching works better then yelling! Just sos ya know)

Ya know, this is the kind of attitude that gets you in trouble. For a year now I have watched people like RailRider, Cory, Interpreter and Gordon Bombay try to help you and you never seem to learn. You don't listen, you always assume that you are right and know everything. Take a break from posting, sit back and learn something from the great members around here who do know what they're talking about, instead of trying to be a "know-it-all."

And it seems that people on this board are getting very picky and irritable lately. If there was 5 strait days of 20 degree weather and I said the snow would probably accumulate I would probably get flamed for it because I "Did not know that for sure". I think it's the offseason that does it,

I think it's your attitude and constant arrogance that has turned people against you.

Now back to the regularly scheduled topic, I have a question:

trimbrakeik0.jpg

Hmm.. A trim on the crest of a hill?? Never heard of that before, but I'm gonna say that it's just the sun hitting it in an odd way.

Plus, if you look at construction pics, you can see that nothing is there.

EDIT: And plus, I'm sure if it was a trim brake, it would be on the animated video.

Firehawkboy, things often change during construction, the video definitely doesn't reflect the final design. As Nemo pointed out....Italian Job and Maverick's animations are just two examples, as Mr. Maple pointed out; there are a few mistakes in the video such as the lift hill stairs being on the left side (facing towards Crypt, they're on the right) and a cat walk on both sides of the turnaround between the transfer track and station (there's only one catwalk).

I'm not disagreeing with you you guys one bit. I see where you're coming from.

I just think that the coaster should be #1 in an animation. That's what we're excited to see, so if a trim was indeed to be placed on the bunny hop, then it should be there. Not some rocks in the splashdown area, that aren't even going to be there.

But anywho, wouldn't a trim break defeat the purpose of "airtime hills"? That's the exciting pert of bunny hops!