Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

11509comp.jpg

This afternoon

(I like the shadows that Diamondback gives off.)

That is an incredible view. It is crazy how much the park has changed since I was last there around 2003 or so. Big bummer that we now live 700 miles away in KC, not to mention two young kids, and havent' been able to get back to enjoy KI. We do have WoF and are getting Prowler this year but somehow that pales in comparison to DB

I don`t know. Prowler is a GCI coaster. I rode Thunderhead at Dollywood, my first GCI coaster, just this past December and was really impressed with the ride. I wouldn`t be sounding so sad. If Prowler is anywhere near as good as Thunderhead, you are in for a real treat!

400px-Baja_California_Desert.jpg

This picture reminds me of Firehawk's queue! :D

Kind of reminds me of the old videos for Diamondback's teasers before it was announced on KI's website. And it also reminds me of the video for Firehawk where the camera is flying through the desert and canyons.

I am definitely looking forward to Prowler being added as it will be a great addition to the park. From the videos it looks like a great ride, of course we'll wait to pass judgement until riding. WoF really is a good park, Camp Snoopy is great for the kids, just spoiled having grown up with KI and CP.

Once they start testing, if the construction cam is still up and the person who does all the stitching of the pictures together, I think it would be kinda funny to see a stitch showing the train at different places around the track at the same time.

Ive ridden several GCIIs (Lightning Racer being my favorite) and thats exactly what WoF needs right now, Timberwolf being the only wood coaster there currently. And those luxuriously comfortable trains...

And I can kinda relate to you pi_kapp_shack, its about a 5 hour drive from Pittsburgh to KI, so trips come far and few

While it is not a trim, everything that is on an animation does not mean it will be in the real thing. Remember IJST, and Mavericks tunnel after the first airtime hill?

The animation by Keith McVeen for Diamondback was done directly from the ride blueprints supplied by B&M and theming information given to him from the park. While their might be minor appearance issues (such as the lift hill), the layout and placement of trims are 100% accurate from a design stand-point. If beast1979 wants to argue with that, he can go for it ( hehe, only kdiding... maybe ;) ). It is extremely rare for B&M to make heavy modifications, such as adding trims, to their coasters after they have been completed.

While I may not post too often, as a good number of members on the boards know, I know what I'm talking about.

Yes, B&M machines, like BMW cars, are highly engineered designs and typically do not need major design revisions once a design is settled on. Altering the side of the track that the catwalk/lift stairs is on is not really a major design change as Aaron mentioned.

However, to play devil`s advocate I will bring up a rather famous example from another manufacturer. Even in this day and age of computer design and simulations, Intamin designed an element for Maverick that after physical testing of the ride began was determined that it would be too intense for riders and place undue stresses on the trains. The result was that the heart line twist was removed from the ride.

For those around the Mason area, you guys know it's absolutely freezing outside right now. I have the Weather Channel Desktop, and its telling me its currently -2° and it feels like -16°. It is 1:24 in the morning. I have a question for everyone: If Diamondback was entirely built and ready to go in these conditions, would you ride it right now? Interpret that any way you'd like.

For those around the Mason area, you guys know it's absolutely freezing outside right now. I have the Weather Channel Desktop, and its telling me its currently -2° and it feels like -16°. It is 1:24 in the morning. I have a question for everyone: If Diamondback was entirely built and ready to go in these conditions, would you ride it right now? Interpret that any way you'd like.

How do I put this? NO! There is no way I would even dream about trying to ride in this kind of weather. You'd have to be clinically insane, and have the EMTs on standby when you returned to the station.

I'd do it. Wrap me up in heavy warm clothes, put on a ski mask and slap on some goggles and I'd be on in a heartbeat. That is, if it was an alternate reality and the coaster was allowed to run in those kind of conditions.

Heres a question I have had for awhile though:

Knowing what I do about expansion and contraction, and knowing how cold it is this very instant (-4 degrees,) is there a certain temperature that construction has to stop due to cold?

Stupid question I know, but its been one that I have been curious about for awhile now.

my rollercoaster knowledge is limited to a TV show called "Build it Bigger"

On there a host followed construction on both Griffon, and Renegade.

Renegade was built in Minnesota, I think. Somewhere cold anyways.

They had to use torches to help clear the ice to work around the footers, and they did get to a point where the wood was so cold that thy could not drive a nail through it. the nails just bent over every time they tried. So construction had to be stopped for the day until the cold spell snapped.

Now I dont know about steel. I know its not as "moody" as wood is about the weather. I have been a professional wood worker for the last 15 years, and I can tell you, wood will shrink and swell A LOT depending on the weather. high humidity causes it to swell up, in the summer, I can have something finished, leave it for the day, come back in the moring and it would be 1/16 of an inch thicker sometimes. Thats on a small scale project too. Lords knows how much change in the big projects

I'd ride it, I'd ride Millennium Force I heard it was -34 with wind chill this morning and that is standing still. Imagine going 90mph!

cold.jpg

If Diamondback were entirely built and ready to go right now, the manufacturer's recommendation would prevent it from legal operation in the State of Ohio. End of story. Plus, were anyone so nuts, they'd get frostbite. Ever hear of windchill? Of course you have, you mentioned "feels like." :)

Party pooper. <_<

I never said I'd ride it, I was just wondering how die-hard some others on here are. Forget about legal operation and crap. It's called a fantasy, seeing as I said its open right now.

It is crazy how much the park has changed since I was last there around 2003 or so. Big bummer that we now live 700 miles away in KC, not to mention two young kids, and havent' been able to get back to enjoy KI. We do have WoF and are getting Prowler this year but somehow that pales in comparison to DB

It's amazing how much it has changed since last year even. Nobody would even know there used to be a lake where the splashdown area is now. The antique cars that were nearby are now a distant memory.

But this is truly progress and King's Island will look impressive with this new coaster.

For the most part, brake runs are not adjustable to where the track is mounted. The last section before it has a bunch of play in it by way of the mounting plates on the track, they can slide the track on the support column. No one is perfect, and it is not uncommon for a peace of track to be off by as much as an inch.

I'm not sure I would attempt a coaster in this weather.. it was cold enough on CP closing day, riding MF in 42 degree weather with a strong breeze off Lake Erie.. then again, I doubt Diamondback wouldn't be worth the frostbite and mild hypothermia.

It was -13 this morning when I got up to go to work, and the temp right now is -1.. this degree of cold is not necessary.