Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

If it was proven scientifically safe to ride Diamondback in this weather, I would do it right away! The coldest it's ever been at KI while I was there was about 28º back during Fear Fest 2005 or 2006. And FYI; Being about 260ft. in the air when it's 28º is alot warmer than it seems! I think the higher you go, the warmer in some cases.

Oh, our final ride on Thunderhead was at a bone chilling 40 degrees. Which with the weather that Cincinnati has had the past few days seems down right balmy. However, it was quite a chilling ride.

The Diamondback area sure has changed a lot in the last year. Below is a picture of what the Diamondback site looked like on the fourth of May as seen from the Eiffel Tower.

IMG_1145.jpg

And as excited as I am about this ride and Kings Island (and I am), I remember being sad, disgusted and angry that the glorious Coney Island Park on US 52 in Cincinnati was being closed and demolished...and that some, but ONLY some, of the park's rides were being moved to the site of an old ordnance works in a very rural area about 20 miles north of town. I was very, very sad.

And as excited as I am about this ride and Kings Island (and I am), I remember being sad, disgusted and angry that the glorious Coney Island Park on US 52 in Cincinnati was being closed and demolished...and that some, but ONLY some, of the park's rides were being moved to the site of an old ordnance works in a very rural area about 20 miles north of town. I was very, very sad.

For some reason, I find the time of transition from Coney to KI very, very interesting, and have read everything I can find about it.

I bet that really was awful when they closed Coney. I wasn't born yet then. However, I can only imagine how bummed out I would be to hear that Kings Island will be closed down, with just some of the rides moved to some field somewhere.

here is the wikipedia page on it

"The ability to sense infrared thermal radiation evolved independently in several different families of snakes. Essentially, it allows these animals to “see” radiant heat at wavelengths between 5 and 30 μm to a degree of accuracy such that a blind rattlesnake can target vulnerable body parts of the prey at which it strikes.[1] It was previously thought that the organs evolved primarily as prey detectors, but recent evidence suggests that it may be used in thermoregulation and predator detection, making it a more general-purpose sensory organ than was supposed.[2][3]"

Well, I think it goes without saying that there will be an update at the bare latest within two weeks. The 31st of January is when our event occurs at the park. But assuming that track work is completed before then, we might be greeted with an update when the final piece of track is put into place.

What are the chances of KI lowering the min height req to 52 inches by opening day? My 11yr old daughter is right at 53 inches and wants to ride this so bad. She has ridden Maverick and ML several times! Also when do they usually start test runs? I'm assuming March or so. Sorry for all of the questions as I have been lurking the site over the last year. Thanks for all of the info as I can not wait for this coaster!!

Thanks again!

Maria

Well, thanks for finally posting! It is unlikely that the height requirement for Diamondback will be anything less than 54". After all, that height requirement is set by the manufacturer, B&M, and not Kings Island. In due time, she will be 54" tall.

Testing should begin sometime in early March. And, since today is the 19th of January, there is just about three months left until Kings Island opens in 2009 and Diamondback is officially released on southwestern Ohio!

Well, thanks for finally posting! It is unlikely that the height requirement for Diamondback will be anything less than 54". After all, that height requirement is set by the manufacturer, B&M, and not Kings Island. In due time, she will be 54" tall.

Testing should begin sometime in early March. And, since today is the 19th of January, there is just about three months left until Kings Island opens in 2009 and Diamondback is officially released on southwestern Ohio!

Thanks! Didn't ML lower their height req after they opened? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Maria

Thanks CoastersRZ, Unfortunataly I will not be able to attend the offseason blues party.. :( My computer at home crashed and I wasn't able to get the tikets and papers and what not in time.. Oh well. Thats the way the cookie crumbles..

HTCO, just realized. I'm an idiot.