Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Well, never fear even if you aren`t actually at our event on the 31st, I`m sure that there will be many members that provide PTRs. In addition, I`m sure us staff members will update the site with full coverage in the photo galleries as well. KICentral is the place to get all the latest information on Kings Island!

I just love the way that piece looks at that angle. I was watching the webcam today and this area

3212099222_f8a8212794.jpg

looked really awkward. Maybe because it doesn't come as close to the ground as the area coming out of the turn that is also seen in this picture. But from the webcam it looked really "tight" and that it will deliver a lot of g's.

Does anyone know why it doesn't go all the way to the ground like the piece next to it does? Maybe if the hill went down all the way, then the turn would be further out, and would have a long distance to travel towards where the MCBR is?

Does anyone know why it doesn't go all the way to the ground like the piece next to it does? Maybe if the hill went down all the way, then the turn would be further out, and would have a long distance to travel towards where the MCBR is?

It's a simple case of conserving the energy in the train. To put it simple, by not traveling all the way to the ground means less vertical distance the train has to travel into the upper portion of the hammerhead element. Subsequently this leads to a higher exit speed at ground-level portion of the hammerhead exit due to the conserved kinetic energy.

^The only energy thats going to be lost on any roller coaster is due to friction (Wheels on the track, wind resistance, brakes, etc.). If that particular section of track reached the ground, it would have a higher kinetic energy that would be converted into the same amount of potential energy at the top ot the turn.

Im wondering if the station exterior will keep the natural wood tone or if it will be stained to match the other buildings close by or maybe a darker stain.

It looks to me like the nearby buildings have a natural, weathered 'grayness', which the DB station might perhaps fade to in the coming years.

It's hard to say but the siding doesn't look treated from here and if they were going to stain and finish it I bet they would have used pre-finished boards. So...I'm guessing they plan to let it fade like the surrounding buildings. Just a somewhat educated guess.

Yeah I got all excited when I saw the cranes there. I just can't wait to stand under and around those elements and feel the force of the trains roaring by!

I bet there are going to be a lot of MF comparisons and debates about which is better.

^The only energy thats going to be lost on any roller coaster is due to friction (Wheels on the track, wind resistance, brakes, etc.). If that particular section of track reached the ground, it would have a higher kinetic energy that would be converted into the same amount of potential energy at the top ot the turn.

My apologies, I meant kinetic not potential energy. It was late at night and I was nearly falling asleep after way too many heat transfer problems, haha. ;)

It's hard to say but the siding doesn't look treated from here and if they were going to stain and finish it I bet they would have used pre-finished boards. So...I'm guessing they plan to let it fade like the surrounding buildings. Just a somewhat educated guess.

I was wondering if they would spray stain the building after exterior construction or like you and others have mentioned it may just be allowed to fade greay, but there still needs to be some type of staining to protect the wood. I still expect the stain to be a clove brown color or similar to match the base of the station.