Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

If you look at the Behemoth pic, you can see the spiral staircase is attached to the support. On the 2nd from the right support in that pic of DB, you can see where the staircase will attach. The stair way to nowhere on the end will remain that way, as there is another on the beginning of the main break run. I assume its so a cherry picker can access the MCBR or breakrun without having to climb on track or over a railing. The spiral stair case will start at the break in the railing close to the right, then spiral down the support.

Nightmare at Crack Axle Canyon at The Great Escape? Another one I'd just as soon pass by. At least IT is closed, hopefully forever. Oddly, as Starchaser at Kentucky Kingdom, it was actually enjoyable. Usually.

Terpy, who just HAD to

Wait I rode Nightmare at Boblo Island, which was a nightmare of a contraption by Vekoma. Still cant believe this thing has been relocated twice since Boblo shut down. I would much rather ride Drachen Fire than this thing any day of the week, yet Drachen never had any takers. Things that still make me scratch my head.

Is the webcam frozen for anyone else at 9:20am?? The pics are AMAZING and i cant wait to ride it and see it in its entirety :D I noticed that they are doin lot of work on Beast Canyon... are they doin refurb or just gonna tear it down?? it would be cool if the queue went through it!! and the pic of the stairs goin up to DBs station, all i can say is i cant wait till i can have that view myself!

Let me 'fourth' ;) all these awesome pictures cheers!!

The most intersting pic to me is this one:

Diamondback%20012109%20084.jpg

So if these stairs are the station entrance, this is not the exact ideal set up for seat assigning, which is a good thing!!! :D

That's not to say the station won't be pulsed like a mofo (i.e. Wicked Twister), but this entrance set up is way different than Behemoth and more like Nitro or MF, which can lead to a crowded arse station with no attendant, but the first row might have a long queue gate up against the back (fine since the 2nd row is just as good as the first), but it does appear the back row queue gate will be kind of short, which would kind of suck, but I guess the complete logistics do remain to be seen.

After looking at that MCBR picture and trying to find where the spiral stairs are going to go, I came up with this...

Not the best set of spiral steps, but you get the drift.

And I guess thats why there's little things sticking out on that support, so the stairs connect to it.

diamondback012009098eq2.jpg

Is the webcam frozen for anyone else at 9:20am?? The pics are AMAZING and i cant wait to ride it and see it in its entirety :D I noticed that they are doin lot of work on Beast Canyon... are they doin refurb or just gonna tear it down?? it would be cool if the queue went through it!! and the pic of the stairs goin up to DBs station, all i can say is i cant wait till i can have that view myself!

Yes it seems to be stuck. Its saying 9:05 on my screen. Great pics btw. Can't wait till the 31st!

The wood on the inside and outside of the station looks fantastic. I'm especially loving the wood on the inside.

I can't wait to see if I'll be able to reach up and touch the bottom of the track there right in front of the crypt. Looks low enough that I might be able to give it a go. Perhaps on the 31st?

^ You can just about guarantee a slow down!! :P

I don't know, everyone I talked to that has ridden Behemoth has said that the mid course brake either did nothing or very little.

With over 50 Behemoth rides under my belt I can confirm that, BUT Diamondback has a completely different layout (relatively different, at least) and it's more tighter and compact.

Even if the 5th "hill" (counting the hammerhead as a hill) is using the trim break, I still think the MCBR will grab a lot more than Behemoth.

On Behemoth the ride is virtually over at the MCBR, but on Diamondback you still have a lot more ride left and so not only will reduced speed on the 2nd half of D-back be more of the essence, but the distance between lift and MCBR is a lot shorter on D-back than Behemoth.

Bottom line, count on the MCBR being used.

^^ I agree that the MCBR will be used in some capacity, particularly in light of the fact that the first brake on it is a (small) mag brake. I'd also say that there's less of a chance of it grabbing too hard because there will be a lot of energy consumed going through that helix, especially with the train moving upwards into it. Not a problem though for those folks riding in the back, because the drop off the MCBR is going to be fantastic back there!

I do have a small concern about the placement of the stairs leading into the station. The back seats will be prime seats on this coaster and those will be, at least from what little info we have, the first seats that people see when entering the station. At SFGA this year the Medusa station did exactly the same thing and the amount of people waiting for the last row were (1) more numerous because of the placement, and (2) more likely to clog the entrance into the station for everyone waiting behind. I'm curious to see the finished product, however.

BTW, I love the awesome photo updates!

Those may be the first seats that they see, but they wont necessarily be accessible. Think of SOB's line. It goes into the exact same location of the station, but makes you wrap around the edge and back again toward the center. So just because it enters there, doesn't mean access to all the seat queue's will be there.

Even if they do grab a bit it won't necessarily take away from the ride. After thrashing around at those speeds it might be nice to have a second or two to get your bearings before the fun begins again.

^ I hope they have a rail or something so everyone goes past that point before entering those lines. Space is kinda limited though. Whatever they do, the new set of pics has me so excited about this ride I really don't care at this point.

okay, first off, the stairs that I originally pointed out on here aren't the qeue line entrance or exit stairs. they are stairs for maintenance access to the loading platform and to under the station (literally). also, if you look at the new pics on the website then you will see structural steel on the side of the station closest to the final brake run. this steel is for the qeue line entrance into the station. the opposite side is the exiting side.

if you want to argue with me on this then ok but I had to get this off my chest so to speak cause it's been bugging me.

my proof of all this from the wikipedia article on Diamondback that has a link to the Dayton daily news website. this website has pictures of the station from many views. this is where my source of info is coming from.

^^Not arguing but adding to your comment. I believe in looking at the picture below that the stairs you pointed out in your post are still on the entrance side of the station, although may not be stairs for the queue. In the photo below one can see steel on the left side and what appears to be structural steel for another set of stairs on the right side, although I could be mistaken on that. I would think that the right side of the station in this picture has to be the entrance side due to its larger size.

Diamondback%20012109%20072.jpg

I'm lost on these last couple of stairs posts, but the SOB station set up is something I haven't considered...D-back's load-side does look bigger than Nitro's, but also looks the same as Behemoth.

An SOB set up would help a lot, but I have a feeling that won't be happening. Either way, I can't imagine there won't be an attendant at the top of the stairs pulsing the line for the entire season anyway, but it is true that if this set up holds, the wait for the back row will definitely be longer than otherwise, but the GP isn't *that* knowledgeable when it comes to the last row, especially if the 2nd to last row has a much smaller wait.

Considering the amount of times I hope to ride D-back anyway, and assuming a short 2nd row wait (which will be almost just as good as the first row), a few less last row rides won't kill me, even though it's the "best" seat.

After looking at Behemoth pics i agree that the et of stairs currently being constructed are likely not the queue stairs but are prob service stairs. Since those are not the queue stairs i question where the queue stairs will go under the track to the other side of the station to where the entrance will supposedly will be?? A SOB setup would work but i find it confusing and crowed honestly... I like the maverick type set up the best, there is a worker there letting a certain amount of people in so it doesn't get crowded but they don't instruct u where to sit!! And for a totally random question... are they done with the roof on the station bc the way one side of the roof the metal is horizontal and the other side is vertical looks strange?? anyone kno??