Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

The outcome is the same, but the variables going into the experiment are not (as was said) "the same thing." That is simple scientific method. Physics and Science I am well aware of.

Not to prolong this somewhat stupid debate, but as in many kinematic and dynamic problems, there are many ways to achieve one desired solution. In this example, there is no difference between the two 'variables' other than a differing reference frame. Placing the reference frame on a moving train w/ a stationary nickel gives the nickel the true velocity of the train, and a relative velocity of zero for the train. Just the same as if you placed the reference frame on a moving nickel towards a stationary train... the train has the relative velocity equal to that of the reference frame's velocity. In either case, the reference frame and the external object have the exact same relative velocity. Two problems, same solution... scientific method really has nothing to do with this.

Now back on topic. :rolleyes:

The outcome is the same, but the variables going into the experiment are not (as was said) "the same thing." That is simple scientific method. Physics and Science I am well aware of.

Not to prolong this somewhat stupid debate, but as in many kinematic and dynamic problems, there are many ways to achieve one desired solution. In this example, there is no difference between the two 'variables' other than a differing reference frame. Placing the reference frame on a moving train w/ a stationary nickel gives the nickel the true velocity of the train, and a relative velocity of zero for the train. Just the same as if you placed the reference frame on a moving nickel towards a stationary train... the train has the relative velocity equal to that of the reference frame's velocity. In either case, the reference frame and the external object have the exact same relative velocity. Two problems, same solution... scientific method really has nothing to do with this.

Now back on topic. :rolleyes:

Why can't we just stick the nickel in our pocket, and use it to buy asprin for the headache I'm getting trying to follow this argument>

LOL

just kidding.....you guys hash it out.

If I was standing at the Eiffel Tower.

Terpy is walking towards me from Coney Mall at 3 mph, and he has $12.00

Uncle Henry is in Rivertown walking towards me at 2 mph with $25.00

AND, Smurfy is running from zombies towards me from Great Wolf Lodge with $50.00

Which one will buy me a cup of coffee when they get to me?

it also depends if there is any money left by the time they get to you and if they can find you at the tower lol...sorry i had to add to it...i guess im in one of those moods tonight also tomkatt7.....

Why can't we just stick the nickel in our pocket, and use it to buy asprin for the headache I'm getting trying to follow this argument>

LOL

just kidding.....you guys hash it out.

Haha! Sorry, that's what happens when a mechanical engineer (who just started his masters in vehicle dynamics AHHH!) reads a physics-related post. :) I get excited!

...Pathetic, I know. :P

^It does look like you will be very close to the track when walking to go through the entrance on The Crypt. Or are they going to be changing something with that?

I can only think of one other coaster where the park actually trusts the guest of the park with putting a coaster and path so close to each other. Griffon. I cannot believe that there isn't something where that bridge is where the coaster flies right under you after the first drop. An idiot could easily hurt someone on the coaster. But it does allow for a great picture op.

Many of the old Arrow loopers travel directly over midways and paths, like Corkscrew at CP. Though they aren't moving as fast as Diamondback will be, you can still get nice and close. And the picture op holds true on those as well!

There are indeed plenty of coasters who travel over/under/next to walkways at close distances. TTD, Raptor and Mantis all at CP have spots where it'd be easy to smack someone on the ride with something while the train's going at a decent speed. And I always jump up and smack the bottom of Magnum's track as I walk under it after my ride (again, though, that part is at a slow speed). I wouldn't be too surprised, though, if we eventually see those nets on the side of the track, similar to those on the first couple hills of Goliath at SFOG.

Not to prolong this somewhat stupid debate

Actually, it was not a debate. You just turned it into one. I was being silly, and you turned it into an argument. Since I will ultimately just become annoyed by this, as I always do, to quote your previous statement...back on topic.

I wouldn't be too surprised, though, if we eventually see those nets on the side of the track,

Since there are parts to Diamondback that are very close to the midways, I certainly expect nets to appear.

I just got back on to see if I needed to elaborate on my first comment "Its the same thing", but you all did a very nice job explaining what I meant. Well done. ;) And I was just pointing out that the outcomes are the same seeing as the initial question was concerning the outcome. I probably should have just said that instead, avoiding this whole thing, but I enjoyed the back and forth that resulted.

I just got back on to see if I needed to elaborate on my first comment "Its the same thing", but you all did a very nice job explaining what I meant. Well done. ;) And I was just pointing out that the outcomes are the same seeing as the initial question was concerning the outcome. I probably should have just said that instead, avoiding this whole thing, but I enjoyed the back and forth that resulted.

Me too until my last post, which was somewhat less fun. :rolleyes: I hate it when people try to twist my horse manure into an argument for the fun of it. (Simply because then it becomes less fun and more annoying.)

Either way, yes the outcomes are the same. I think it's safe to say we've established this. I think I'll just leave the whole messing with peoples' heads to make them think game to Terpy, who is much better at such things than I and who always wins. :)

...though I'm not sure I can restrain myself at times. :unsure:

I don't Mind the nets on the main Lift Hill and on the MCBR but I honestly hate the nets that are on random portions of track like on Griffon or Nitro!!!! they look Tacky and cheapy, I kno they have a purpose but i wish they could figure out a better way to fix these problems... but its just one of those things that B&M does (meaning they are more obvious and stick out more than others) if they add them anywhere the one place u can pretty much garantee there will be one os at the entrance into the splashdown which will takeaway from the overall experience of walking under it :( anyway sry bout that rant but i just had to get it out!!

And after looking at pics of the flyover on KIExtreme i have noticed that there is a skim brake on the hill after the hammerhead :(

Cant wait to ride this freggin thing no matter what!! so pumped:D

Actually, it was not a debate. You just turned it into one. I was being silly, and you turned it into an argument. Since I will ultimately just become annoyed by this, as I always do, to quote your previous statement...back on topic.

My goal wasn't to start an argument, I was just simply having some nerdy fun. :rolleyes:

Jackson, that is definitely one of my favorite pics. I finally have a legitimate excuse to visit the park again after being absent for almost 2 years. Media day here I come.

It has been stated repeatedly that track work is complete, more than likely that includes any actual track work, whether related to storage or to the circuit itself!

I am guessing whether it is actual track, or another device to remove stress on the wheels as discussed, it looks like something is there. Maybe they just did not paint it red so it looks like it is not complete. This would be a good question for the people going on the tour.

Anyone get an answer to the storage track for DB who was there Saturday?

I asked a question about the maintenance shed and Don said that they were basically done with the shed. But he also said that sometime after the opening (or before) they are going to put something of a roof on top of the structure to protect the trains. As for the wheels, that is not new for BM and that is how its going to stay. If you look for some Behemoth pics, I'm sure you would find similar things in Behemoth's storage area. Also, there are pictures of Griffon (my name is Griffin and I think thats really cool) on RCDB that show the maintenance shed for the trains. In those, the trains only rest on the "kicker" wheels that move the train in and out of the shed.

My goal wasn't to start an argument, I was just simply having some nerdy fun. :rolleyes:

Jackson, that is definitely one of my favorite pics. I finally have a legitimate excuse to visit the park again after being absent for almost 2 years. Media day here I come.

Media Day for Diamondback will be for the working media only. However don't forget that you will have more than enough opportunities to ride Diamondback with having early ride times for Gold and Platinum Passholders and Ride Warriors weekend.

Trains have been on site for a few weeks, and will hopefully be put on the track this week. Blog Update and Photo Gallery Update featuring said installment coming Tuesday-Wednesday, maybe later depending on Weather.

I am so Freggin Excited to see the Trains!!!! how did u find all of this out???

and i figured they would eventually add a roof to the Storage track, without a roof it kind defeats the purpose of the beams above the track. anyway why has nobody really posted pics frm saturday anywhere?!? I hope to see some soon and plenty of pics of the trains when they put them on the track!!!!!!

Uh, you ask where we found out the information about the trains, and then the very next paragraph are asking about pictures from Saturday? We heard about the trains at the event on Saturday.

And if you want to see pictures, check out the Trip Report forum. There are SEVERAL photo trip reports posted in there.

Uh, you ask where we found out the information about the trains, and then the very next paragraph are asking about pictures from Saturday? We heard about the trains at the event on Saturday.

I wasnt there on Saturday so i diddnt kno sorry :( but thanx for the pics tip!!

I wasnt there on Saturday so i diddnt kno sorry :( but thanx for the pics tip!!

The grammar and mechanics errors are beginning to make my head hurt. Would you at least try?

At any rate...I'm hoping that we get to see the trains on the track at Winter SOAR. Seeing a test run going around the track wouldn't be a bad surprize either.

And if you want to see pictures, check out the Trip Report forum. There are SEVERAL photo trip reports posted in there.

I'll be adding my own very soon. So there's one more you can check BeastinNight.

Media Day for Diamondback will be for the working media only. However don't forget that you will have more than enough opportunities to ride Diamondback with having early ride times for Gold and Platinum Passholders and Ride Warriors weekend.

Like I said, I will see you at media day.

Official details about the auction of the first ride can be found here. If I can somehow get a little more money I would definitely go in and place a bid because i really like where this money is going and I would feel great just because I know I helped many kids out and not because of getting the first ride on Diamondback