Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

I didn't say it was for sure just that it possibly could be. But I i will say that i wish it was because that would be an amazing spot, right outta the helix. Another reason for having the black liner and gravel behind the drop into the splashdown is probably because the constant water on the grass would be mud almost all the dime and the grass wouldn't be able to grow nd the loss of water point brought up earlier.

Diamondback%20020909%20017.jpg

Photo credit: Don Helbig :: www.kiDiamondback.com

I'm wondering if what they're digging there is that little creek you see connecting to the splashdown in the video. Back when Swan Lake was there they had that little stream that flowed under the pathway bridge and into the lake, maybe they're bringing it back?

I don't think you could let a bunch of creek water float into a splash down for a roller coaster. A bunch of things jump out to me as things that can go wrong there.

Don't take this the wrong way, but what exactly do you mean? Is it about the water itself, that the water is floating, or is it something else?

I do not see the purity of the water being a tremendous problem for the reason that the water will not be directly struck by water.

I doubt that they will allow creek water to flow freely into the splashdown lake. First thing that come to mind is cleanliness. Not necessarily for the fact that people will be near it, but more for appearances. Creek water will be muddy and look bad. Second thing that comes to mind is regulation. It would be less difficult to pump water out to the lake and let it run back into the lake like a creek would. If you ran a creek into it, you would need to put at least one over flow pipe in to constantly drain the water. Thats not too hard, but then where do you take all that water? Third, if you let a creek run into the lake, you have to deal with all the wildlife that would accompany it. Its just too much to deal with when the alternative is to run a 40 ft pipe with a pump on one end.

Huh? What are you talking about?

Do you think the creek that ran through Rivertown was natural?

It wasn't. It was man made, and had water pumped to it from Swan Lake. It no doubt will use the water from the splashdown pool now.

Shaggy

Here's a fun bit of trivia that you may enjoy then...

Before KI was KI... it was farmland. There were no ponds or lakes on property. All that exist, or existed inside the park once KI was built, were entirely man made. Actually, I believe all recreational lakes located IN the state of Ohio are all man made.

KI retains the farms original homestead. Yes, that's right. The house that the farmer lived in prior to the land becoming Kings Island is still on property, hidden from view.

It's located inside the fort that you pass near Boomerang Bay while on the train.

How do I know? I've been inside of it. And its gross... really gross...

Shaggy

I love it when Shaggy comes around.

Awww shucks, you guys sure know how to make a guy feel welcome ;-)

Just for some clarity on my part Shaggy, the pump system that was used to create the Rivertown creek was retained during the construction of Diamondback?

Yes. The pump house that held the recirculating equipt for Swan Lake and the creek was not removed. It, along with the Paradise Island drink stand, were left standing. Look very closely at the Diamondback construction pics. In some of them you will see the new storage shed, trees, and the Paradise Island drink stand. Well, in those trees, pretty well hidden, is the pump house.

Shaggy

KI retains the farms original homestead. Yes, that's right. The house that the farmer lived in prior to the land becoming Kings Island is still on property, hidden from view.

It's located inside the fort that you pass near Boomerang Bay while on the train.

Thats wild. Anyone have a picture of this? Just curious if I would recognise it.

Here's a fun bit of trivia that you may enjoy then...

Before KI was KI... it was farmland. There were no ponds or lakes on property. All that exist, or existed inside the park once KI was built, were entirely man made. Actually, I believe all recreational lakes located IN the state of Ohio are all man made.

How do I know? I've been inside of it. And its gross... really gross...

Shaggy

I've also been in that house it is very gross and and scary! Shaggy I always love your input!