Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

I was going to bring that up. I really hope to see some nice landscaping; and knowing the KI landscape team, it will. I think the real finishing touch (beside trains) to DB will be a lush bed of grass and some fresh landscaping.

In no way do I think that KI won't be ready for opening day. But, by looking at pics like the one below, I can't help but think that they have an extraordinary amount of work to do in 8 weeks. Not just to DB, but lots of the area around it (including The Beast's entry).

Diamondback%20020909%20010.jpg

I am very pleased to see them putting a water fall that empties into the Splashdown area of Diamondback. I know recirculating the water helps keep down mosquitoes and the falls will help oxygenate the water to help keep the allege down. I have always liked the stream in River Town flowing under the bridge, it helped give character to the area and using it to recirculate the Splashdown area is a bonus.

Diamondback%20021209%20020.jpg

Mr. Licastro spoke highly of KI landscape department and many landscaping business offer water features as options in their services. Water features are fairly easy to do other than dealing with the weight of the rocks and being a bit of a back breaker (bending over a lot). I wonder if the new falls is a inside job or is being done from an outside company?

A stream at least but given the slope of the grade there it would be wasted opportunity not have the water flowing over those rocks they are placing in. I am not taking Niagara Falls but that slope is perfect to have a/few short drops.

Edited to add: Having drops in man made streams helps control water flow but smaller ones to help prevent splash out. With that slope the water would run really fast down hill and wash out potentially smaller rocks at the bottom. Plus it would require a larger GPH pump to keep a fast moving stream flowing. Verses a steady flowing water stream with a few drops to keep the water from moving too fast down hill. Plus it just looks better with drops. I don't know how it will end up but from the pictures I have seen I would be surprised if it did not have any over the rocks drops.

Edited by Avatar

i still cant get over how good this all is goin to look when its all finished...i cant wait!

Hopefully, this isn't a sign of getting old, but the thought of looking at the completed DB is almost as (maybe more?) exciting than the thought of riding it.

I was thinking it may be like a few other rides I've ridden, it may have separate exits for the front and back of the train. I can't remember what I've seen that did it that way. It clears the station out faster because you don't have people tripping over each other trying to put stuff in bins and getting in the way of those exiting.

Well first off, I've been a long time member but it's been quite a while since I last posted...though I visit almost daily to look at the various threads, inlcuding the monster that has become the "Diamondback Construction Thread". So I'm not sure if this observation has been noted but I felt compelled to see if anyone else has noticed a possibly overt or inovert resemblence of the entrance pathway as being that of a snake's tongue.

I noticed that right away too but I thought it was just me making up shapes in my head again lol..glad to know im not the only one that saw it

doesnt thunderhead at dollywood have separate exit gates but then they come togather...so its basically the opposite of db

That is correct, Thunderhead has two exit gates. However, I believe you do not have to come together, one of the exit gates leads directly into the arcade, if I am not mistaken, while the other one comes out next to the arcade.

I am a little fuzzy on this, but I am mostly sure that is how it was set up...Robbie and I were mostly worried about sneaking in another ride as quick as possible, so we weren't too worried about what the exits did! ;)

i still cant get over how good this all is goin to look when its all finished...i cant wait!

Hopefully, this isn't a sign of getting old, but the thought of looking at the completed DB is almost as (maybe more?) exciting than the thought of riding it.

Nah, it's not getting old. It's valuing aesthetics. I'm also excited about seeing the area done. I just want to see what the park does with the blank dirt canvas. Also, I can't wait to see the splashdown area filled.