Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Let me tell you, seeing Diamondback in person for the first time today, it looks quite amazing, and a bit scary at the same time! :lol:

It is a scary, yet exciting sight. Something like this has never been built at Kings Island, i'm sure it is quite a sight even for those who have gone to the park since its beginning.

I remember somewhere someone saying that the exit would flow under the lift into the Old Time Photo Shope which would be redone as a gift shop

I was kind of hoping maybe they would do something with the splashdown where the water flows under the ramps.

Anyone else?

I remember somewhere someone saying that the exit would flow under the lift into the Old Time Photo Shope which would be redone as a gift shop

I was kind of hoping maybe they would do something with the splashdown where the water flows under the ramps.

Anyone else?

That would have been a wonderful feature. I doubt there would have been enough time to do such a thing in the time they had to build. I am just happy there is a water element in this ride.

Anyone else?

That would have been a wonderful feature. I doubt there would have been enough time to do such a thing in the time they had to build. I am just happy there is a water element in this ride.

I know! Hopefully it'll be like SheiKra or Griffon, where you can just walk by and get splashed if you're hot.

Why would there be a need for a waterfall in to the splashdown area? Earlier a guy said to get oxygen to the water and prevent algae. Wont the splash by the train every 3 minutes take care of all that?

^but the trains don't run 24/7, plus it is just something to add to scenery.

In my opinion, from the size of the splash down area I don't see the splash from the trains spraying really high or out but rather a nice controlled picturesque splash.

Why would there be a need for a waterfall in to the splashdown area? Earlier a guy said to get oxygen to the water and prevent algae. Wont the splash by the train every 3 minutes take care of all that?

With a train coming through about every couple minutes depending on how many trains are running it probably would be enough, but during the post season and evening hours it would not hurt to have another more consistent system in place. I am only discussing as a fanboy and not someone in the know. I have built my own backyard pond complete with a 7 foot long waterfall and a 25 foot stream, then took a hands on class to learn what I did wrong and to learn some tricks of the trade.

0_0_5271c3e4997c92162ef92c73526bd2dd_1.j

So trust me I know very little about it but feel I know enough to offer an opinion on a discussion board.

I was reading the Big Mike Road Show over at Theme Park Review...

bigmikereaderrj7.jpg

And here is a description he posted for one of his pictures at the Eastcoaster event. I just thought this was kinda cool and there was some good information.

Don the public relations director was now up from Kings Island.

Diamondback is their new coaster at 230 feet tall and a price tag of 22 million.

The general public will be very close to the track and the lift is on the midway.

The track was completed right on time and the trains should be added this week.

The trains are already on property and there are 3 trains.

Diamondback should open April 18th.

Kings Island has a goal to be the cleanest amusement park.

Kings Island is auctioning the 1st ride with bidding starting at $50. 70 of the 96 seats are taken already, go to kiDiamondback.com if you want to be one of the 1st riders.

This is The Beasts 30th anniversary.

There will be 3 new live shows.

May 9th and 10th will be a Ride Warriors Event which you need a coaster club card to join.

The event will have 7 coasters on ERT, with both Diamondback and Beast on BOTH morning and evening ERT.

I was reading the Big Mike Road Show over at Theme Park Review...

bigmikereaderrj7.jpg

And here is a description he posted for one of his pictures at the Eastcoaster event. I just thought this was kinda cool and there was some good information.

Don the public relations director was now up from Kings Island.

Diamondback is their new coaster at 230 feet tall and a price tag of 22 million.

The general public will be very close to the track and the lift is on the midway.

The track was completed right on time and the trains should be added this week.

The trains are already on property and there are 3 trains.

Diamondback should open April 18th.

Kings Island has a goal to be the cleanest amusement park.

Kings Island is auctioning the 1st ride with bidding starting at $50. 70 of the 96 seats are taken already, go to kiDiamondback.com if you want to be one of the 1st riders.

This is The Beasts 30th anniversary.

There will be 3 new live shows.

May 9th and 10th will be a Ride Warriors Event which you need a coaster club card to join.

The event will have 7 coasters on ERT, with both Diamondback and Beast on BOTH morning and evening ERT.

Seven coaster ERT's! That means there has to be SOB ERT!

Nick who thinks he may try to reach over 50 rides on SOB in 2009!

..if you are not dead by the 5th one lol jk...

I like SOB its a good ride! Provides shakes rattles and who needs a Cyropracter(SP?) just go ride SOB!

Once you learn to ride it, there's no problem at all. I just checked my total from last year. In 2008, I rode Son of Beast 52 times, so it is definitely possible to survive. That's the third most ridden coaster on my list. It's just behind The Racer at 105 (55 red and 50 blue) and The Beast at 201.

Flyer, who prefers it when the brakes are blown and would prefer ERT with that in mind. :)

PS. Trimless Beast ERT would be a nice and pleasant surprise as well, and almost a desperate obsession of mine! Hint Hint Wink Wink!!!!! Actually...trimless anything at ERT would be great.

Did I notice? Do you really have to ask ME that question??????

The first was off, but the last was still present. It was actually off for the last couple of weeks, which in my opinion was a huge improvement to a coaster that's already a blast! Even just that one brake made all the difference in the world to me. Not to mention, crashing into the lift had a "crash" to rival that of Son of Beast, and that is saying something.

I also noticed that for a couple of weeks the last trim on The Racer was off. They put it back for closing day, which made me mad. It was so much fun flying through it into the brake run at almost full speed. (I say almost because of the other trim at the turnaround which they of course wouldn't just turn off or get rid of altogether - see signature.)

I actually had my best ride ever on The Racer at Halloween Haunt. The spotlight and fog from Urgent Scare made it a whole new experience on one particular evening. The fog was in bands across the bottoms of most of the hills and made it a very different experience. Then there was the whole last trim off thing, and that just made for a great ride. Crap...if only the one at the turnaround had been off.

Okay...trim rant #101 over.

I have been wondering with Diamondback being located in the Rivertown area of the park, if they will improve the flow of guests into that area of the park? Currently guests must go through Nick Universe to enter Rivertown. Won't this cause some what of a traffic jam leading into that section? Think they might open up the covered arbor again?

KI - The Original Employee

0_0_5271c3e4997c92162ef92c73526bd2dd_1.j

Wow Jesse, just Wow!!! I am impressed with your water gardening expertise and the water garden you put in is absolutely amazing. Did you use the flexible waterproof liner rather than the preformed? Also does stream empty in to a pond or is it more of a zen style water garden. Excelent Job.

I can not wait to see the end result with the landscaping around Diamondback and would love to know who is doing it.

Thanks RailRider and IChase, "expertise" no just one of those projects you always wanted to do, then got into it and learned as I went along (mistakes and all). The larger pond in the back was a preform that started the whole thing and was given to me. I will never do that again (preform) to much of a hassle the flex liners are much better in all areas (lasting and installing). I added on to the waterfall last spring, it runs down the 25 foot stream and right now empties into a small pond, which hopefully will be turned into a much larger pond this year or next.. To get from the patio gazebo to the hot tub enclosure there are steeping stones and hopefully a rock bridge by this summer. If you like bird watching, I highly suggest a stream, we often take the laptops out and enjoy the sights and sounds.

It is one of those things that we make harder than it is, the reward is so great that I have often question myself why it took me so long to do it.

Anyways I am giving you a link to an album of mine that shows three sections the first one is just a pond tour we took last year and the second is the class I took at Cool Ponds last year too. The third section is of Cricket Ridge (my pond) and has more pictures and videos in it.

http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/p6wnIBRr/1009485/2118361