Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

I know we have all seen the trains by now but the webcam stopped on a cool view where you can see the front of the car a little bit closer.

picture1or5.png

Just thought you guys/girls would enjoy another shot!

EDIT: Are those lights on the lift that I see?

Lift lights are probably just for construction. I don't think I have ever seen tracer lights on a B and M hypercoaster! How awesome that would be!

I have seen them on B&M Behemoth has them look at pics and vids.

Behemoth has Red Chaser Lights & Regular White Flood Lights on the Lift along the stairs they just turn the White Floods off at night during operation... but when the park closes for the night the Chasers get turned off and the White flood lights come on. I think the lights we see on the DB lift are permanent, they are probably the white floods. They are too evenly/perfectly spaced and bright to be temporary construction lights from what I can tell (I could be wrong though I don't think I am). I hope DB gets chasers but probably wont because it doesn't fit the old west theme. Anyway lets look at the "Bright" side (sry had to do it), the lift hill has electricity & trains are being added!!!! thats 2 steps closer to testing :D and opening on April 18!!

testing will start next week or the week after depending on if they get done with the mid brake run sensors and electricity work

And it is confirmed the 5th "hill" (what is that hammerhead? ;) ) trim's electrical circuitry has been fried, turned into a fancy pigeon perch, won't be fixed, and is otherwise a worthless hunk of metal and wires with no viability or need for actual use, correct?????

I was watching the cam but never saw the train actually put on!?! It just kinda appeared around 10:45... earlier someone said they put it in from the back of the Storage track but there is a railing and floor there so how could they do that????

Diamondback%20012109%20066.jpg

See!?! Maybe it was added before and just today they pushed it foreword. I am confused, Blake since u saw it added when was it added???

I was watching the cam but never saw the train actually put on!?! It just kinda appeared around 10:45... earlier someone said they put it in from the back of the Storage track but there is a railing and floor there so how could they do that????. . .

It's Cedar Fair, where the magic of the moving trains meets the thrills of a lifetime.

Terpy, who just HAD to

I was watching the cam but never saw the train actually put on!?! It just kinda appeared around 10:45... earlier someone said they put it in from the back of the Storage track but there is a railing and floor there so how could they do that????

Diamondback%20012109%20066.jpg

See!?! Maybe it was added before and just today they pushed it foreword. I am confused, Blake since u saw it added when was it added???

I was watching the cam all morning and never saw the trains put on I posted the pic as soon as I saw the front of the train. My instant reaction was "wtf?"!

You are right there is no way they could have put the trains from the back. Everyone remember the day the power had to be turned off? Maybe that was the day they slipped the train on.

The railing and floor removes. Note the long I beam railing stretching out off the top of the storage shed. That is where they put the mini-crane that hoists the cars into place. I will see I f I can do some searching to show you one in action. Believe me when I say that they do indeed get put on from the back.

Quick edit. If anything the railing may be the only thing that moves out. If you pay close attention there is really no TOP rail for the wheels to hug. Most B&M's have smaller load bearing wheels that allow the major wheels of the coaster to be open for maintenance.

I was driving through Little Miami/Maineville tonight and there is a spot (the intersection with the UDF, CVS, and Wallgreens) and I saw the lift hill with the lights on after seeing it on the webcam. It really makes it look a lot more visible and "alive" even if it's not totally completely ready yet.

Ok I have done some searching and have found a few pictures that could help you understand how trains are placed on track. If you pay attention to the transfer & storage track of Diamondback you may notice that there is a line of wheels in the center of the storage area. This allows the trains to be moved forward and backward. The track from the transfer to the storage area quickly goes away. The track is only used as a guide to res the train on some side rails. Small wheels on the underside of the car sit on these rails so that the whole under carriage, including the wheels can be inspected and maintained with the ability to remove entire wheel assemblies at ease if necessary. See these examples below.

These pictures are from Griffon. Note the way the track becomes non-existent and there are wheels in the center to move the train along. The rails on the side just below the floor support the coaster train. The train is supported on those small beams by wheels under the carriage of the train.

p19379.jpg

Note how the underside of the train is completely available to maintenance, and is resting on those side rails.

p19378.jpg

Here the train is in storage with nothing holding it up from under-neath.

p18732.jpg

Note the tiny wheel which I have circled.

p18732-1.jpg

This is the reason that the trains can and are put on from the back. The essentially just sit right in. This is the beauty of B&M! Simplicity at its best!

Edit: I'm still on a hunt for a picture of the tiny wheels on the underside of the train to show you all.

My question is how will they move the trains out of the storage shed onto the transfer track. I have been looking at as many pictures of Diamondback as I can find and I can't find an answer. Are the center wheels powered in some way? Are there kicker wheels that haven't been installed yet? Will someone have to go out there every morning and manually push the trains? I know its not the last one, but I can't figure this one out. If anyone knows how the other B&M Hypers work, I assume it will be similar.