Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Just to give some more insight into the restraints on the B&M hypers. Nitro is the only one that has ever had the cables. I've ridden Raging Bull every year since it opened, never had them. Every B&M built so far has used ratcheting restraints and I doubt Diamondback would be different. As for verifying the restraint is secure, for the computer to register the restraint as secure, it must be down to the 3rd click. Most B&M hypers have a line at the base of the lapbar to estimate it, however, Behemoth didn't have the lines. The control panel has indicator lights for each row. If the light is solid, the row is secure, if the light is blinking, one or more of the restraints in the row is not secure. As for the test seat, I'm sure KI will get one. I cant think of any B&M hyper coaster that hasnt had one.

I have a question about the restraints on Diamondback. Since I have never been on a B&M hyper before, I'm wondering how forgiving the restraints are in terms of rider size. I know last year, there wasn't a ride I couldn't ride, including MF and TDD at CP. But I hate to say I've packed on a couple inches during the winter. I'm working right now to slim down back to where I was last yeat. Currently I have a waist size of 38. Will this be a problem on DB or should I not worry?

I don't think you should worry. In particular, B&Ms typically have "Big Boy" seats set aside, with a little more "room" for the larger patron. Not that you fit that category. I also know from experience that the B&M Hyper seats tend to be quite roomy and IMO very comfy. (I still want a seat to put in my living room to sit in and watch tv, complete with TV Tray restraint LOL) The good news is that there will undoubtedly be a test chair at the queue entrance for larger folks to avoid embarassment, and a wait for nada.

Shaggy

P.S. My 34" pants are feeling very tight these days... I blame winter too... ;-)

Just to add to these sentiments...I think you should be fine!!

The one thing I noticed about the Behemoth seats compared to the seats of the other, older, B&M hypers is that they're deeper and the edges come up a little bit more so you're sitting deeper in the seat (only tall people will be touching the floor).

But anyway, I've been on both Behemoth and Nitro about 65 times each and have seen ONE 'walk of shame' on Behemoth and about 6 on Nitro with the older seats.

The walk of shame on Behemoth was a guy who was very huge...at least a 46" waist, if not bigger.

As I've been saying to people, if you can fit on Vortex right now you'll have no probs, and probably even a 44" on D-back should be completely fine.

That makes me feel better. As those who've seen me can attest, I'm not the smallest guy out there, but I'm not the biggest either. I'm sporting a 42" waist right now so I think I'll be ok. Now if this were 3 years ago I'd be at a 50". Times are a changin' and for the better if I don't say so myself.

Here is an interview with Don Helbig over at an international coaster site www.coasterforce.com

Not sure there is a lot of new knowledge learned in the interview but did you know Don has ridden The Racer 11,973 times? I wasn't very familiar with Don's past but wow that is pretty impressive!

I learned about that at the 2007 KIC event. My brother and I actually sat by him during the Endless Summer on Ice show and had a small conversation with him. He is a very knowledgeable, passionate, and approachable guy. He is definitely doing what he loves and he is, IMO, doing a heck of a job.

So the metal fencing in the splashdown, is this just an OSHA thing for when testing.

I would hope the people working the area are not the bad off to walk up when a car

is approaching. Wonder if there will be a lake border fence as well to keep other darwin

winners away.

Well, consider that since the workers have been working there they have not had a issue with a train going past them. I am guessing some are listing to MP3 players and may not hear a train coming either. Just my thoughts on the fence?

I would hope the high capacity keeps the line down. I wouldn't expect them to build a huge que if it would only be needed for the first season or two.

Look at Behemoth's queue...it's tiny!! Supposedly completely full it only holds a 2 and a half hour wait including the pathway leading from the main queue to the stairs and in the station.

During the construction CW people were saying Behemoth's queue was intentionally built small to dissuade people from standing in line for extended periods of time IF they came by and saw a completely full queue (I mean, it's harder to spend money elsewhere in the park if you're waiting over 3 hours to ride!).

Given all this, D-back's queue size is looking exactly the same as Behemoth's and I hope it stays that way!! It's a people enter anyway, and so much so with Behemoth when I stopped to get a Vitamin Water at the machine inside the queue, my g/f and my former spot had already moved up an entire railing!