Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

With this weather they should just open the park NOW. Next week is springbreak for Texas so if they do a little advertising and work out a deal with a travel agency, they could end up with some more money by opening early. :)

With this weather they should just open the park NOW. Next week is springbreak for Texas so if they do a little advertising and work out a deal with a travel agency, they could end up with some more money by opening early. :)

Totally unrealistic. First, methinks you have little idea what is involved in running a park, much less preparing it for opening. From cleaning to maintenance to ride certification to employee training to insurance, the park is preparing to open on schedule, not six weeks early. Moreover, who would staff the park? Many of the employees are not yet available. Who would go this early? Far fewer people than you would think. And would the weather cooperate? SFOG just tried to open the last weekend in February for the first time ever...and got snowed out. The same thing could happen in Cinci, next weekend or four weekends from now. March is very iffy in Ohio. Very, very iffy. Cedar Fair can't afford such risks right now. You want to make a contribution? Send them a check! :)

I really hope the queue doesn't have the big switchback section, then goes by the exit ramp to the right, to wrap around then up into the station....it seems like Firehawk; and with Firehawk's queue, there were sooooo many line jumpers. People would just cut in and out right where the entrance line goes by the exit. 7/10 times I waited for Firehawk, there was someone who jumped the queue. Adult or kid. And that's a huge pet peeve of mine....not only that, a park rule broken! There should be a more keen eye placed on that, especially if it's what I'm talking about...which I hope I'm making clear....nothing upsets me more that waiting in line and some stupid kids or adults or whatever trying to get by more or someone else 'to find their lost group' or just blatently jumping in line.

^^I saw the picture on the webcam of the Splash pool and I thought it looked more blue than it had before but I have no idea what it could be and from what I can tell as of now there is no water flowing through the waterfall into the SP

New video Of Diamondback Testing Check it out!

In the video at 1:10.. look closely at the dummy's, they raise out of there seats after the mcbr and you can watch them all fall back into their seats! This ride looks intense!

The thing about the water looking more blue... I just watched the rendering again and they show the splashdown a pretty blue color which is what the above pics look to be so mabey they did dye it.

And I'm sure If your in the way back exiting the mcbr should be a great pop of airtime! Who am I kidding this whole coaster should be an airtime Machine!!! Hopefully I did not speak too soon.

What I like about that video is the way it put the second drop into perspective. It definitely falls a good 20 feet into the ravine, which is where the top speed is reached, I think. That drop may be pleasantly surprising.

Don't worry. If you get a Diamondback stat wrong, jackson/beast1979 will be sure to come along and correct you! :P

The second hill is 193 feet tall and the bottom of the second drop is where the train should get close to the top speed. The top speed will be reached at the first hill. Also, the bottom of the second hill is where the on-ride photo will most likely be according to Don Helbig.

From the Diamondback blog.

Q: What part of the ride does it reach its max speed of 80 miles per hour? It looks like from the renderings that some of the drops go into the valley, so I was wondering if it was after the first or second drop.

Brandon – Villa Hills, KY

A: Diamondback will reach a speed of nearly 80 miles per hour going down the 215-foot first drop and pick up an additional two or three miles per hour at the bottom of the second drop, which is 193 feet into the ravine.

I really hope the queue doesn't have the big switchback section, then goes by the exit ramp to the right, to wrap around then up into the station....it seems like Firehawk; and with Firehawk's queue, there were sooooo many line jumpers. People would just cut in and out right where the entrance line goes by the exit. 7/10 times I waited for Firehawk, there was someone who jumped the queue. Adult or kid. And that's a huge pet peeve of mine....not only that, a park rule broken! There should be a more keen eye placed on that, especially if it's what I'm talking about...which I hope I'm making clear....nothing upsets me more that waiting in line and some stupid kids or adults or whatever trying to get by more or someone else 'to find their lost group' or just blatently jumping in line.

I've only seen people line jump at Firehawk once. My friends and I were actually next to get let into the station and then attendant told us to wait there as they went after the perpetrators and removed them from the line. I don't know if they were kicked out of the park or not.

From the Diamondback blog.

Q: What part of the ride does it reach its max speed of 80 miles per hour? It looks like from the renderings that some of the drops go into the valley, so I was wondering if it was after the first or second drop.

Brandon – Villa Hills, KY

A: Diamondback will reach a speed of nearly 80 miles per hour going down the 215-foot first drop and pick up an additional two or three miles per hour at the bottom of the second drop, which is 193 feet into the ravine.

Well, i guess ive been corrected. But dont forget, they have to measure the real time speed of the train. Not sure if they have already done that but Im just saying.

Kind of a stupid question, but I'll go for it. Do you think they will test DB at night? I don't think it's one of the tests they must do, but when they opened Firehawk they did test at night. I only know that because I was helping set up the on-ride photo booth.