Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

People should know that people ride rides before they infact open to the public. Such as the park personnel, the ride construction crews, the designers, etc. This is widely publicized in shows on Discovery and Travel Channels. That's why it's called the "First Public Rides." The fact that they told us people have already ridden DB isn't a revelation, nor should it come as a surprise.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been stated that the auction will be for the first 5 trains once the park opens for the season? I could swear I've heard/read "be the firsts to ride Diamondback when it opens to the public on April 18th".

I would imagine that anyone who has any enthusiasm/passion for the amusement park industry is aware of the fact that a select few employees/ride manufacturers etc will have ridden the ride during the testing phase. And I doubt too many people bidding hundreds of dollars for one of the first seats on DB aren't enthusiasts etc.

I'm not saying that certain information shouldn't be kept as hush-hush as possible, but I think the park has made it clear the auction is for the first rides when the park and coaster open to the general public. And I'm guessing that's not news to too many people who are bidding for those first seats. Chances are if your throwing down a couple hundred bucks to ride a rollercoaster... you're a bit of an enthusiasts. And enthusiasts of any subject tend to be fairly knowledgeable on that particular subject.

I don't think the auction/park is in any sort of trouble.

Speaking of the auction... over $60,000 raised for the charity. That is absolutely incredible (especially considering the current economy) and major thumbs up to Kings Island for doing this. That is a ton of money for a great organization.

I would hope that people wouldn't honestly think that the auction winners would really be the first riders. Obviously some of the first riders are going to be Full Time Employees of the park (managers, GMs, etc) and the designers (in this case B&M). I would imagine that the employees being trained on DB would also get to ride before, it's general practice and a perk of being an employee, if you don't like it don't bid, I would hope you wouldn't be so naive.

I knew that people would ride Diamondback before the bidders did, however that didn't really have much of an effect on my choice to bid, it's all about being the first of the public to ride Diamondback, and that alone is quite a honor in itself (plus I'm all for the extra admission included in the gifts the bidders get! I can really use that for some people I need to get to experience KI!)

Does anyone know if Diamondback will with the rest of the park on opening day. I have a pass but not sure if I want to get their right away.

will with the
Did you mean to say open with the rest of the park?

their
You mean there. :D Sorry I just finished a research paper and have been prof reading for hours.

I must say, I am more than pumped to ride Diamondback! I am very pleased with the progress thus far! This thing is really taking shape!!

As far as the wait times for Diamondback:

Does anyone think that King Island should invest in the " fast past " ( Cedar Point, Disney Parks ) type system for the certain bigger rides. Especially now that they have a classic B and M !

thanks!

I only like the fast pass system at Disney because it is free but I wouldn't want it at KI. It kinda seems unfair eventhough at Six Flags parks people do pay extra for the system but some people just can't afford to spend that extra money even if it is just for one day. IMO.

Thats all I asked for, going back to your post that made me question you.

You dont have to be a complete jerk with the ERRRRRRRRRRR WRONG! nonsense.

I agree with that. We see an awful lot of "I know more than you do" posturing on this board.

I agree with that. We see an awful lot of "I know more than you do" posturing on this board.

Oh, you deserve a brake. I could care less, unless you are on a sound footer. I see you avoided a one word post in your next post after that one by not even posting a word! :)

Terpy, whose posture often needs improving, as his grade school teachers constantly commented (and who had and has a physical condition that causes that, but that didn't matter to school folk back in those days)

Probably after a lawsuit or two by parents of kids like me before your school days. It was also common to be made fun of if you had glasses, were fat OR skinny, had any kind of what is now called a disability, were smart or "slow," etc. The word bullying was never heard. Instead, one was told to "toughen up" and "deal with it." I guess most of the teachers had been Mrs. Popularity in their school days (male grade school teachers were not something I experienced, and were VERY rare in those days in relatively suburban/rural areas).

In many ways, things are much better now...but we need to get back to Diamondback, sorry for the diversion, though I do think one now or then is important.

Oh, look, a glittery blue ball....

Terpy, a class ENFP, goes off to watch

I do not know much about the world of coaster testing, but I would think they will test DB with real people instead of water dummies prior to letting the public ride it, correct? Is there an idea of when testing such as this would take place? If the coaster is running as well as has been reported, I would think it would be soon.

Many, many, many cycles are required to be run before people are allowed to ride. After the required number of cycles has been completed, and the Ohio Department of Agriculture completes its inspection and clears it for riding, only then will people be allowed to ride. KI will not take the risk of anyone riding before this time, as the penalties, I would assume, would be quite severe.

Back in the day I was lucky enough to ride several rides before they opened to the public, but that was only after the required number of cycles and the state inspection. They will most likely let a very select few ride before April 18th, but I cannot say for sure.

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! WRONG!

Some people have in fact ridden Diamondback, the Ohio Department of Agriculture rules only apply to the General Public, and not to employees of the park/ contractors, etc.

OK, thanks for being rude in correcting me... <_<

Thanks, RailRider! :)

Hey, you may have a point here and you may be able to back it up, but just because the minimum age to post on these forums is 13 doesn't mean you have to act that way. ;)

...and Ronny! :)

As someone who worked in the park for 17 years (many of those in a management capacity), although not in Rides or Construction & Maintenance... even though I interacted with people in these departments daily, I felt I was knowledgeable enough to answer the question that was posed. I was wrong. It happens. And when it happens, feel free to correct me. All I ask is that you do it respectfully, which teenageninja did not. I have always, with one exception when someone really irked me last year, treated others on here with respect, even when disagreeing with them. All I ask for is the same treatment.