Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

I'm pretty sure there are B&M engineers in combination with KI maintenance running the testing. I know from following the construction of CP's Intamin coasters that its pretty common for Intamin guys to rent houses and apartments near the park for the duration of testing. Probably a few B&M guys living temporarily around the KI area too but I'm curious for a more knowledgeable answer too.

I'm with you Gator! My only thing this year is I have 3 little ones.......Jake is 6yrs and 47 inches, Cassidy is 11yrs and 53 inches and Sydney is 14yrs and tall enough to ride everything!!!!! Cassidy sooo wants to ride DB and has even informed me that she will put toilet paper in her shoes to be tall enough to ride it!! I just have to laugh :P And Jake has said the same thing because he wants to ride the bigboy rides! Time will tell......Is it possible to grow and inch in 1 month? HaHa!

Maria

I am loving the progress of Diamondback!! Yes, this site can be addicting. Does anyone think the que area will be covered?? If so, with what?

Don said at the offseason blues tour that the queue would likely be similar to BLSC, Firehawk, or Delirium. I was hoping that DB would get something similar to Maverick, but it appears not.

I am loving the progress of Diamondback!! Yes, this site can be addicting. Does anyone think the que area will be covered?? If so, with what?

Don said at the offseason blues tour that the queue would likely be similar to BLSC, Firehawk, or Delirium. I was hoping that DB would get something similar to Maverick, but it appears not.

That's exactly how I visioned it to be. With the old country feel to it.

Oh well I think a Delirium sun protector will do the job too and look kinda cool if it's the same colors as the coaster.

EDIT: SPLASH!

picture2brr.png

^ I think the weather protection is all I'd really like. Fans would be fantastic as well but the key thing is simply to keep the sun and rain off of you!

Also, you have to remember that a portion of Maverick's queue was already in place as an existing building. I can't think of too many other rides at Cedar Fair parks where they've really gone out of their way to build a queue like Maverick's on any of their bigger coasters, so I think Maverick is definitely an anomaly in that respect.

Having not been to KI in a number of years I'm not sure how the queue for The Crypt has looked previously. However, having been watching the webcam it appears that the concrete pad for the queue is being reduced. Has anyone else noticed this or am I making things up in my mind?

i saw a backhoe working in the crypt que yesterday on the webcam. im sure its getting an overhaul

If by major overhaul you mean complete removal :lol: The line I'm guessing will be very similar to the way it was last year. It's actually quite sad to see what this ride has done to The Crypt area, but that's just the sacrifice that must be made for an awesome new coaster.

This is probaly a stupid question, but does anyone know if they are going to paint the roof of DB's station, or are they just going to leave it silver?

I would imagine silver, because they make the same style metal roofing in various colors. So why not instal a red metal roof in the first place if you are going to paint it red in the end. I would say it will stay silver.

A bit off topic, but I am kind of confused about the queue set up. It looks to me like concrete still needs to be poured for the portion that goes underneath the actual ride. I thought about the current set up and this is the best scenario that i could come up with.

lineexp.jpg

The black line indicates the main rider line while the orange line could be a wheelchair accessible point since there are stairs in the main queue. The blue line would then indicate riders that are just exiting ride and get dumped into the gift shop. This scenario would also stop from clusters forming when riders get off the ride and try to quickly get back in line. Again, this is what makes sense to me but if anybody knows anything different please feel free to make corrections.

I don't know of any wheelchair access points specifically, but I bet that the spot where you put the yellow line would be a good guess. Where you put the orange and blue lines is all the exit path. The blue line leads to the on ride photo booth and souvenir shop and the other way is the main exit, for those that want to do something else.

I just had the unique experience of seeing Diamondback today. I got a behind the scenes tour of the whole ride with one of my mom's good friends that work at the park. I literally just got back and all I can say is WOW! This ride looks really intense. I was also able to see it run, it sounds like the classic B&M roar! I can not wait until the 18th!