Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Here is a pic and caption from Kings Island Insider about the repainting of Vortex :)

Vortex.jpg

"Workmen have been busy the past several days repainting the track on the popular Vortex roller coaster. The Vortex has thrilled riders since it opened in 1987 by sending them upside-down an incredible six times! In fact, the ride was the first roller coaster in the world with six inversions. The Vortex has given 35,278,352 rides in its 22 seasons -- seventh-most in Kings Island history!"

Okay...I'm just thinking out loud here, but why in the world would Vortex get new paint when Flight Deck looks so bad that it's a shame to the park???? It's even rusting these days. If any coaster in the world needed...oh wait, that's High Roller...if any coaster at Kings Island needed new paint, it would definitely be Flight Deck. Vortex still looked good to me last season. They just flat out don't seem to care about Flight Deck, and I really see it leaving within a season or two.

Flyer, who is suprised to still see Flight Deck this season.

I don't have any information to where I could speculate that Flight Deck is leaving any time soon, but I do agree with you....I definitely think Flight Deck needed some major TLC over Vortex. It is very sad to see it rusting away! I wonder why they did choose to repaint Vortex, and not FD.

~Ash

Guest rcfreak339

You would know, too many people here on KIC drive by King Island from time to time to just look at Diamondback, and most likely they would have saw FD being painted and would have reported it to us.

^That's what my brother and I were talking about today, BavarianBeetle. It sounds kind of weird to say...but maybe they are just focusing all of their attention back there, since so many people will be back there for DB. And then they're just leaving poor Flight Deck back in the corner to rust. :( It's like the neglected red headed stepchild...lol.

~Ash

Guest rcfreak339

Flight Deck is still a pretty popular ride. Saturdays during July lines can get up to 2 hours wait. But yes it is neglected during the off season, They need to do something sooner or later.

Here is a pic and caption from Kings Island Insider about the repainting of Vortex :)

Vortex.jpg

"Workmen have been busy the past several days repainting the track on the popular Vortex roller coaster. The Vortex has thrilled riders since it opened in 1987 by sending them upside-down an incredible six times! In fact, the ride was the first roller coaster in the world with six inversions. The Vortex has given 35,278,352 rides in its 22 seasons -- seventh-most in Kings Island history!"

I created a new topic for this here.

^That's what my brother and I were talking about today, BavarianBeetle. It sounds kind of weird to say...but maybe they are just focusing all of their attention back there, since so many people will be back there for DB. And then they're just leaving poor Flight Deck back in the corner to rust. :( It's like the neglected red headed stepchild...lol.

~Ash

Sadly, it now has gray hair, which is falling out..... lol!

+++Side Note+++

A note to all Kings Island associates --

Please remember that if you are a Kings Island associate that you are NOT to post any information that is not public knowledge on KICentral. Anyone who posts information outside of public domain will have their posts removed and their information will be sent to the Cedar Fair Entertainment Company. Associates know what can and can not be posted.

Thanks,

Ryan