Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

the shade structures can be effective in keeping most of the queue shaded because of the angle that they are positioned at. Together with the sun angle, they can cast shadows on a majority of the queue, and hence shade most of it. That being said, areas that are under shade are not necessarily directly under the shading devices. Therefore, while one spot may be shaded, it is not protected from rain. Additionally, the material that the shade structures are made out of are not entirely water proof. They are somewhat translucent and can allow water to get through if it rains hard enough.

I could go into a lot more detail on sun angles and shading devices and how they are used in buildings to reduce the passive solar heat gain, but I think that would be way too much information!

I have a question about the first drop? Say your in the last car, how fast do you think you will get whipped over the top of the hill? the top of that hill is very arched, the most I think I've seen?

If you look on the map, it shows little facade extensions from the corners of Rivertown Junction. I know the map isn't 100% accurate, but I don't see a reason why they were sketched in there if there's not going to be something there. With the queue going along side the restaurant, I'd hope they'd dress it up a bit. The backside of foodservice locations aren't typically very attractive.

Remember: Last fall, those at the Geauga Lake auction were told that the western storefronts and facades were being taken to KI for their new ride. I know it seems silly, but most of those were built like theatrical sets, so it is definitely doable.

...wait, there's facades coming from GL now? I wasn't informed of this! :blink:

Sweet! Thanks! And to answer your question, one will only know if you ride :)

8 days people!

I cant wait, I am so excited. I was just wandering if anyone was as excited as me to ride in the last seat!!! My husband thinks I am crazy because Diamondback and opening day is all I talk about. I have my kids counting down the days as well.

If you look on the map, it shows little facade extensions from the corners of Rivertown Junction. I know the map isn't 100% accurate, but I don't see a reason why they were sketched in there if there's not going to be something there. With the queue going along side the restaurant, I'd hope they'd dress it up a bit. The backside of foodservice locations aren't typically very attractive.

Remember: Last fall, those at the Geauga Lake auction were told that the western storefronts and facades were being taken to KI for their new ride. I know it seems silly, but most of those were built like theatrical sets, so it is definitely doable.

...wait, there's facades coming from GL now? I wasn't informed of this! :blink:

Well, it was a seeming wild rumor when we first heard of it, but the map has me perplexed. :huh:

I think if there is any additional work over there, we'll see it soon. 5 days is all they have before Friday's preview!

Returning to yesterday's discussion about shading, If the whole que were covered everyone's body heat would accumulate in there. I assume that's why there are gaps, the majority of the que is shading how RZ said and heat can easily escape through all the gaps. I came up with this theory as my brain wondered in a long line at CP.

I too am a huge fan of the mist fans and hope they become more common.

Right now I don't care if the que is covered in tanning bulbs and broilers, I just want to ride!

Does anyone think that they will close the que line hours before the park closes so that people aren't riding really late Saturday night? Because I wont be able to make it up to the park until around 6 or 7, and I don't want to be locked out of the line.