Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

The train is certainly going to have a lively beginning next year with Diamondback roaring by and above the tracks!

it would be amazing if they would make an extra stop in the first turn, by the bottom of the first drop of Diamondback, sorta like on the river boat thingy at Cedar Point that slows down to see top thrill launch and run the course.

Given that at this point the major purpose of the train is normally the relatively rapid transit of patrons to and from Boomerang Bay, that seems very unlikely. Even when the waterpark is closed, I think you'd be surprised how many guests would be furious if the train paused each cycle to watch Diamondback...it would also greatly decrease the capacity to one of the more popular rides in the park.

Don Helbig saying Wicked Awesome.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

He and I saw that piece of track installed for the first time in person on Tuesday. It was definitely a "Oh wow" moment. Neither my photos nor the animation do justice to how much of a bank this turn has. It nearly puts you upside down. So especially if you're in the back right seat, you may be grabbing onto that harness for dear life since you have no one sitting directly next to you, your train is nearly upside down, and all you can see is a 60ft drop off the cliff that's RIGHT next to the turn.

He and I saw that piece of track installed for the first time in person on Tuesday

So did they install it a second time?

tubaman...who couldn't resist. Sorry Terpy if I steal any of your thunder.

The piece was suspended by a crane on Tuesday. I'm willing to go as far as saying that it's still not technically installed.

He and I saw that piece of track installed for the first time in person on Tuesday

So did they install it a second time?

tubaman...who couldn't resist. Sorry Terpy if I steal any of your thunder.

The piece was suspended by a crane on Tuesday. I'm willing to go as far as saying that it's still not technically installed.

Allright, fair enough. We'll call it a draw.

Don Helbig saying Wicked Awesome.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

He and I saw that piece of track installed for the first time in person on Tuesday. It was definitely a "Oh wow" moment. Neither my photos nor the animation do justice to how much of a bank this turn has. It nearly puts you upside down. So especially if you're in the back right seat, you may be grabbing onto that harness for dear life since you have no one sitting directly next to you, your train is nearly upside down, and all you can see is a 60ft drop off the cliff that's RIGHT next to the turn.

Well I think sitting by myself with only a lapbar while being almost upsidedown over 100 feet in the air near a cliff seams fun and,

Wicked Awesome

And here I thought we called it a hammerhead turn...

Terpy, who thought that was what Claude and Walter said....

And others, but definately not Firehawk boy....

The banking on the Hammerhead looks insane, I didnt expect it to be that steep. Also looking at the transition from 3rd hill to the Hammerhead is very quick. The pullout is almost non existent and looks to transition in to the Hammerhead very quickly, which should lead to very little loss of speed. Im starting to wonder about the first helix and the amount of latteral g's that will be pulled. With the amount of speed DB will have entering the helix it could be a very intense and surprising element, although I still dont expect it to be as forceful as the centerfuge on Titan. Still I think it could be very shocking for a B&M.

Which Goliath? Do you mean the one in California? Most people around here have not had that experience. Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia is a B and M. Titan and Goliath in California are both from Giovanola, but they are NOT clones. They aren't identical, or even close to it. To begin with, the Texas coaster is about 800 feet longer, ten feet taller, etc. The Texas version also seemed more intense to me than the California one:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig742.htm?picture=7

Texas

Compare:

http://www.rcdb.com/ig615.htm?picture=7

California

The Texas version also seemed more intense to me than the California one:

Couldn't agree more. One of the most forceful and intense sitdowns I have ever been on. Like I said the Centerfuge is a nasty(in a good way) element that has given me tunnel vision on many an occasion.

While I haven't been on Titan, I can attest to how wicked intense Goliath is. That double helix is the only coaster element where I have nearly blacked out. The entire time your vision is just getting darker... and darker... and darker... then at the last second, when it should be lights out, you pull out of the helix. Brilliant. Definitely one of my all-time favorite coasters. :)

Mathematics are fun, aren't they?

The new blog post was funny.

Cant you just see Don smiling and yelling "Wicked Awesome!" with a thumbs-up?

XD

Don seemed to be channeling his inner chowdah head with that post. Very funny. Made my day.