Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

I don't know if SoB would be considered a "Hyper"

A hypercoaster in the style sense is one that is built for speed and airtime. To accomplish this the elements of a hypercoaster are a large first drop, generally several additional drops of declining height, a turn around and then many airtime-inducing hills. Hypercoasters are commonly designed with an out and back layout

I wouldn't always trust wiki, not always reliable, but a good place to start. Hyper is coined by the first company to break the 200ft barrier, Arrow. Other companies refer to Hypers as Mega coasters, Hyper is really like calling facial tissue kleenex. But I think the key is being over 200ft but less than 300ft and it can have an out and back, twister or combination layout. So I believe Hyper is a classification and the layout does not matter.

Afterall what would you call Steel Phantom/Phantoms Revenge? I would say Hyper but I think that is more debateable than SoB, which by my classification is a Hyper Woodie.

I wouldn't always trust wiki, not always reliable, but a good place to start. Hyper is coined by the first company to break the 200ft barrier, Arrow. Other companies refer to Hypers as Mega coasters, Hyper is really like calling facial tissue kleenex. But I think the key is being over 200ft but less than 300ft and it can have an out and back, twister or combination layout. So I believe Hyper is a classification and the layout does not matter.

Afterall what would you call Steel Phantom/Phantoms Revenge? I would say Hyper but I think that is more debateable than SoB, which by my classification is a Hyper Woodie.

and in every article i have read on Son of Beast it is referred to as a hyper woodie, i have never heard it called a mega woodie.

Not true. Meisho was the first company to break the 200' barrier, not Arrow: Moonsault Scramble at 246'

But Arrow was the first company to use the term "hyper"

Not true. Meisho was the first company to break the 200' barrier, not Arrow: Moonsault Scramble at 246'

But Arrow was the first company to use the term "hyper"

True, but the Moonsault Scramble was not a continuous circuit, but a shuttle. I dont think anyone considers Mr. Freeze, Speed, Wicked Twister a Hyper coaster either. Hyper refers to continuous circuit coasters that break the 200ft barrier.

Wha? Meisho?

Jackson, Confused beyond all reason.......

Meisho Amusement Machines the builder and designer of Moonsault Scramble. They are a Japanese company that mainly supplies amusement rides to Japan and Asia. Also the asian supplier for Vekoma.

I'm confused though because every single person I've heard said Maggie was the first 200'+ coaster in 1989, and then out of the blue Meisho comes in with a 240' in 1983?

Well Maggie was the first in the USA and during the time that Moonsault and even Maggie came out there was no internet and media and press did not flow freely like today. So there was little to no information in the states about Moonsault unless it came from someone who had ridden it. Moonsault was also more known for its pretzel knot, which is the only one of its kind. So Maggie is still credited as being the introduction to a new age because it was the first continous circuit Hyper introduced and got major publicity as such.

Terpy tells some, doesn't tell other things, and always try to act in the best interests of the parks and the industry as a whole. Heck, he has even expressed a certain fondness for a park known among many of his industry friends as Maple Grove, home of the second tallest, second fastest operating roller coaster in the world....

Terpy tells some, doesn't tell other things, and always try to act in the best interests of the parks and the industry as a whole. Heck, he has even expressed a certain fondness for a park known among many of his industry friends as Maple Grove, home of the second tallest, second fastest operating roller coaster in the world....

At this time of year, you must be talking about a year round park, since the obvious reference, TTD, is not "operating" and won't be for several months.... LOL!!

Lets, see will this get as many pages as the other topic? What was the old one 600+?

:blink:

You also need to watch those birdies while on Apollo's Chariot, they seem to be attracted to men with long hair.

Bwaahahahhahaha, I saw that in the book store,

"Fobidden Love....with a feather beack"

he had his shirt torn off and a bird clawing his eyes out!

hee hee