Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Beast1979, I have a couple comments based on your construction progress graphic from above.

Firstly, how do you know that the station roof is completed? For starters, it is hard to tell how much work has been completed just from looking at the low resolution webcam. Secondly, if you don`t have much construction knowledge, how can you know that the roof is completed? Personally, I believe that the "roof" that you speak of may in fact be corrugated steel decking. The decking is used to span between the structural bar joists. The finished roof material (which provides the water proof barrier for the station area) will be attached to this substrate steel decking.

Secondly, your graphic on progress of the ride steel has some errors. The large support next to the Crypt`s queue has not yet been installed (located between the cave entrance and the actual queue). The next support (located immediately to the right of the cave entrance) has been set into place.

Thirdly, the correct spelling of "qeue" is "queue."

You need to be careful about what you post and make sure it makes sense. It is generally not wise to assume and state stuff as facts which you do not know to be true. Particularly when it comes to building buildings! I`m just offering you a friendly reminder to read over your posts to make sure that they are as accurate as possible (to your knowledge), and that you try and make posts that have valid content that adds to the discussion at hand. This last point is in reference to some of your posts yesterday.

Firstly, how do you know that the station roof is completed? For starters, it is hard to tell how much work has been completed just from looking at the low resolution webcam. Secondly, if you don`t have much construction knowledge, how can you know that the roof is completed? Personally, I believe that the "roof" that you speak of may in fact be corrugated steel decking. The decking is used to span between the structural bar joists. The finished roof material (which provides the water proof barrier for the station area) will be attached to this substrate steel decking.

Woah, I ment it generally, ok? Sorry I wasn't specific.

Secondly, your graphic on progress of the ride steel has some errors. The large support next to the Crypt`s queue has not yet been installed (located between the cave entrance and the actual queue). The next support (located immediately to the right of the cave entrance) has been set into place.

Oops, Sorry. I'm not perfect.

Thirdly, the correct spelling of "qeue" is "queue."

Ok then.

You need to be careful about what you post and make sure it makes sense. It is generally not wise to assume and state stuff as facts which you do not know to be true. Particularly when it comes to building buildings! I`m just offering you a friendly reminder to read over your posts to make sure that they are as accurate as possible (to your knowledge), and that you try and make posts that have valid content that adds to the discussion at hand. This last point is in reference to some of your posts yesterday.

Mmmkkk then. Thanks I was kinda drowsy yesterday

Everyone giving him a hard time he is just making a guess and trying to make a clearer picture of how much track work is done it's not perfect by a long shot but it's helping my off season blues.

Skywriter, you need to read CoastersRZ's posts to Beast1979 much more carefully. Beast1979 has continually made posts that are not clear, and mangle some of our conversations and other discussions. He also states as fact that which cannot be labeled a fact. He has continually made these blunders after being warned continually by mods here to discontinue posting non-sense.

Woah, I ment it generally, ok? Sorry I wasn't specific.

If you mean generally, you should specify that. When you claim things to be true and in fact aren't it does nothing but confuse people. If you don't really know what's going on with the construction, don't try and exaggerate.

Oops, Sorry. I'm not perfect.

He wasn't insulting you, just telling you to put more though into your posts. Lofty claims with no substantial fact and posts like "Yep. And to avoid this being a one word post I typed this." don't really ad much except more clutter. He's just lending you a hand Jackson. ;)

Everyone giving him a hard time he is just making a guess and trying to make a clearer picture of how much track work is done it's not perfect by a long shot but it's helping my off season blues.

Skywriter, you need to read CoastersRZ's posts to Beast1979 much more carefully. Beast1979 has continually made posts that are not clear, and mangle some of our conversations and other discussions. He also states as fact that which cannot be labeled a fact. He has continually made these blunders after being warned continually by mods here to discontinue posting non-sense.

Yeah I just read a few,I'm sorry.

quick question, when they do the pull through on Diamondback with the wooden cart, do they really have to pull it around the whole track, or just in the spots where it looks like it might be possible for a rider to touch a support?

When you refer to the "wooden cart", its an actual car from one of the trains on which they place a wooden piece to simulate rider's hands. The pull through is not just to find spots where the riders might be able to hit supports, its to look for any spot where the train might be in danger. For example, a place where the wheel assembly would hit something under the track. This most likely will not happen, but sometimes things are overlooked, and its better to find those in a controlled stiuation instead of when the train is moving 80 mph. So to answer your question, they pull through the entire track. Plus the fact that its just easier to cover the entire thing instead of taking it off and moving it to a possible problem spot.

^ i thought they built a light weight model of one of the cars so they wouldn't have to pull one of the real, and very heavy cars around the track.

In one of the Podcasts of Mavericks construction they show a small portion of the pull through.

I can only assume that the same technique will be used for Diamondback.

Its video #3

Maverick's Podcast Site

^ i thought they built a light weight model of one of the cars so they wouldn't have to pull one of the real, and very heavy cars around the track.

In one of the Podcasts of Mavericks construction they show a small portion of the pull through.

I can only assume that the same technique will be used for Diamondback.

Its video #3

Maverick's Podcast Site

yes, they used that for maverick, but they used what i am talking about with kingda ka, and since Diamondback is tall with steeper inclines than maverick i don't see them pulling one of the heavy cars around the track when there is an easier option.

O well, thought I would ask. :)

Did a quick search on google and found a few pics of the Behemoth pull through. Looks like they just use the first car of a train and it doesn't look like it includes the wooden fan often seen, for distance purposes.

The picture links are about 3/4ths the way down the forum.

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/park-r...-thread-29.html

This is probably the best picture to see what is done during a B&M pull through.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2334/232659...b55ebc27d_o.jpg

This is Kingda Ka's device, starting at about 1:20. This is not really a typical device, most are just one car with wood planks to simulate arms and heads. They used this because it was easer than pulling a car up the hill. (Little hint, some one on this site is in the video and it is not the Interpreter.)

This is not really a typical device, most are just one car with wood planks to simulate arms and heads. They used this because it was easer than pulling a car up the hill. (Little hint, some one on this site is in the video and it is not the Interpreter.)

that was what i was talking about