Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

You honestly think that Diamondback is the "largest" addition in park history? I think The Beast was pretty groundbreaking when it opened thirty years ago and put Kings Island on the national map.

However, Diamondback will be the largest, and likely the best, steel coaster ever installed at Kings Island. I`m sure that it will likely be the funnest and attract scores of fans for years to come.

In terms of guts and moral courage, installing a ride that is largely out of industry fashion (wooden roller coasters at the time Beast was put in vs. a large steel coaster in a very poor economic environment in the face of great debt), Beast and Diamondback have great parallels. The economic cost to the installing organization is probably greater for Diamondback than was Beast in constant dollars. Dinn coasters were a relative bargain, though sunk costs were a smaller percentage of life cycle costs than will probably be the case with Diamondback.

It is none other than Mr. Helbig who has characterized this as the biggest one ride addition in park history. Puffery? Perhaps. We shall see...but I bet the words end up fitting. Diamondback won't be as unique as The (one and only) Beast. That being said, I still think it will be as much of a, if not even more of a, crowd pleaser, both this year and for many years to come.

Technically speaking, Diamondback will be the tallest addition in Kings Island history, not the largest. As a matter of fact, Son of Beast is the largest. For when saying the word largest, one is refering to volume.

In terms of guts and moral courage, installing a ride that is largely out of industry fashion (wooden roller coasters at the time Beast was put in vs. a large steel coaster in a very poor economic environment in the face of great debt), Beast and Diamondback have great parallels. The economic cost to the installing organization is probably greater for Diamondback than was Beast in constant dollars. Dinn coasters were a relative bargain, though sunk costs were a smaller percentage of life cycle costs than will probably be the case with Diamondback.

It is none other than Mr. Helbig who has characterized this as the biggest one ride addition in park history. Puffery? Perhaps. We shall see...but I bet the words end up fitting. Diamondback won't be as unique as The (one and only) Beast. That being said, I still think it will be as much of a, if not even more of a, crowd pleaser, both this year and for many years to come.

So based on what you just said. What do you think of the rumors of the big coaster installation at Carrowinds? I would think KI's was well along before the economy hit its trouble. Not the case for Carowinds or CF's other parks.

Technically speaking, Diamondback will be the tallest addition in Kings Island history, not the largest. As a matter of fact, Son of Beast is the largest. For when saying the word largest, one is refering to volume.

To assume large can only refer to size is specious.

In addition, last I checked both Drop Tower and Eiffel Tower are taller. And that's just off the top of my head.

Terpy, who HAD to

It's only a quarter a try, so if you're good enough at it, you can get a pretty good sized "something-or-other" for like 75 cents. It's located right by The Beast on ride photo kiosk. There was one by The Racer/Outer Limits area at one time as well, but I think it might have moved.

It's still there. Facing the X-Base sign, its on the left side.

So based on what you just said. What do you think of the rumors of the big coaster installation at Carrowinds? I would think KI's was well along before the economy hit its trouble. Not the case for Carowinds or CF's other parks.

Found the answer to my question.

http://www.KICentral.com/forums/index.php?...15378&st=90

You know, speaking of large additions to the park, I have to think what it was like to see the Tower and Royal Fountains being installed initially. Actually, I'm taken back by them a little everytime I visit KI. Imagine watching them being constructed in a field. In southern Ohio. Just so people can walk around and enjoy them. Its really amazing how lucky we are.

You honestly think that Diamondback is the "largest" addition in park history? I think The Beast was pretty groundbreaking when it opened thirty years ago and put Kings Island on the national map.

However, Diamondback will be the largest, and likely the best, steel coaster ever installed at Kings Island. I`m sure that it will likely be the funnest and attract scores of fans for years to come.

Really?! i think it would of been Vortex or SoB. Vortex was the first roller coaster in the world with 6 inversons and SoB was the only wodden coaster with a loop

You know, speaking of large additions to the park, I have to think what it was like to see the Tower and Royal Fountains being installed initially. Actually, I'm taken back by them a little everytime I visit KI. Imagine watching them being constructed in a field. In southern Ohio. Just so people can walk around and enjoy them. Its really amazing how lucky we are.

I would love to see construction pics of that.

In any event, those wooden coasters are what they are. Diamondback will be totally different. And that's a very good thing. Off topic? Perhaps not. Steel hypers are meant to mimic the wooden coaster experience. And Nitro, Goliath and company do that very well. In fact, I prefer them to MOST wooden coasters. I bet Diamondback will delight nearly all of its riders.

There was one by The Racer/Outer Limits area at one time as well, but I think it might have moved.

Correct me if i am wrong but isnt it the very last game that sits right beside the FOF sign and almost under The Racer hill?

Just my opinion but, I'm really getting sick and tired of this "never ride Son of Beast" crap! If you don't like a ride, so be it! Don't go around saying that its a flop and that its no fun or not worth it! Really immature!

Now that I got that off my back, let's get back to the ride that's being built by Kings. Although some may have forgotten what topic they were in.

One of the best airtime coasters i have ridden is surprisingly Gemini at CP. That coaster has got some good air time. With all these hills on Diamondback though i am sure we are in for some mass amounts of airtime.