Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

New Blog Update

Construction of Diamondback heading down the stretch

January 8, 2009

The construction of the tallest, fastest and meanest roller coaster to ever strike Kings Island continues. The construction of the first helix after the hammerhead is near completion, and vertical supports are in place in the area where the second helix will go outside The Beast entrance. It won't be long before track piece #129 goes into place after the splashdown, completing the construction of the 5,282-foot steel coaster.

While the construction of Diamondback heads down the stretch, the park is preparing for the arrival of the trains. The trains are coming from Switzerland, and they'll begin arriving in half-train increments.

The trains on Diamondback will feature unique, open-air stadium-style seating that will allow riders to experience an unobstructed view of all the thrills and excitement on the world's best new roller coaster.

Kings Island will be the first park in the United States with trains of this style on a roller coaster.

Is it April 18 yet?

- Don Helbig

Source:http://www.kiDiamondback.com/public/latest/blog/

Something to look forward to possible seeing on the 31st, i was wondering if they would announce when the trains arrived or if they would keep it a secret. Hopefully some if not all parts of the trains will be at the park on the 31st but we will just have to wait and see

Skywriter, you were a little late with that blog update. I posted that Don had updated the blog at 10:24 this morning.

And technically, that orange thing is not a crane. Those are technically called telescopic booms, and are meant to transport workers to heights. In this case, it is likely ironworkers who are likely doing some final torquing on some of the bolts for the track or the supports.

Something to look forward to possible seeing on the 31st, i was wondering if they would announce when the trains arrived or if they would keep it a secret. Hopefully some if not all parts of the trains will be at the park on the 31st but we will just have to wait and see

My guess is they will not keep it a secret because Don already publicly said they were on the way. I think Don will make a nice blog update about the trains and possibly add some photos in the gallery of them.

I cruised by KI today and snapped some pics. They're here at my Flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10524916@N08/

Those are amazing photos. So many have been taken of the first hill, but I am dying to see more of the actual layout. Thank you!

I love seeing this coaster being built, piece by piece. I still find it hard to believe the park I have been visiting for so many years is getting a coaster of this magnitude. I am very, very excited.

Didn't anyone see the video of the trains being unloaded I posted a few months ago? That is before it was deleted because it was still top secret at that time.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the first completed helix...

are you talking about the trains that came in railroad cars or something like that?

Skywriter, you were a little late with that blog update. I posted that Don had updated the blog at 10:24 this morning.

And technically, that orange thing is not a crane. Those are technically called telescopic booms, and are meant to transport workers to heights. In this case, it is likely ironworkers who are likely doing some final torquing on some of the bolts for the track or the supports.

My bad I'm sorry for double posting sometimes I don't look through everything in a Topic.

I'm just excited about the coaster and I cannot to ride next year I have had my pass since October even though last year my Family took a year off :(

I am so glad to finally see pictures of Diamondback from the outside of the park and cant believe how amazing it looks and fist in with the KI skyline!! Dback balances out and dominates the right side of the park, cant wait to see it in person and ride it!! :)

I cruised by KI today and snapped some pics. They're here at my Flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10524916@N08/

Thank you for those pictures. That second hill reminds me of the second hill on Apollo's Chariot. But standing out is an understatement, this coaster absolutely dominates the skyline as far as coasters go. My Drop Tower still stands alone. :lol:

The brake run on the ride (comprised of a series of magnetic brakes and finally some pneumatic brakes is enough to slow the train down on its own. The water splash down effect (when there is water in the "splash down" area) will just slow the trains down slightly, causing the magnetic brakes and the pneumatic brakes to do less work to stop the trains. In other words, the water effect will slightly slower the speed of the train before it hits the true braking system. And I imagine that they will do several rounds of testing before they put any water in the splash down pool.

I think we need to set up an offseasson support group to support one another with the off seasson blues...

What about a "support" support group? I would go to those meetings. We could hold them within eyesight of Diamondback's...supports.