Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Those may be the first seats that they see, but they wont necessarily be accessible. Think of SOB's line. It goes into the exact same location of the station, but makes you wrap around the edge and back again toward the center. So just because it enters there, doesn't mean access to all the seat queue's will be there.

Good point. I would hate for the station entrance to dump directly into the back of the train.. I would not be a happy camper. But I am sure they have taken that into account.

In TTD's station, sometimes it is pulsed and sometimes it is not. I have been there when the ride op wasn't paying attention and let everyone through, so both loading platforms were a mess of confused people crammed like sardines into a can.

I seriousaly doubt Don took those pics.. :rolleyes:

Don has in fact taken some of the photos.

http://www.KICentral.com/photos/index.php?cat=22

Here is what it should kinda look like not sure if its 100% but to give you a map and see if anyone can read the text. I don't have any bigger pictures of this.

slideshow627339trainloagy8.jpg

slideshow630661ridesideqf1.jpg

Those are awesome! I really wish i could read the writing! I used the zoom feature on my mac but it's too blury. :(

Those stairs in the rear of the station really look like service stairs that go under the track to the other side of the station like with the SoB station. But what are these...

diamondback012109072me9.jpg

Could that be for the line?

Looks that way, actually...great find!

Thanks! KIC tourist power! :lol:

GoofyWDW, those are one of the sets of stairs that I was referring to in an earlier post. I agree...go KIC Tourists :lol:

I just went back through your posts and found what you were talking about. :rolleyes: Sorry, I didn't read into enough as I should have.

But yes, we do rule. lol

I'm lost on these last couple of stairs posts, but the SOB station set up is something I haven't considered...D-back's load-side does look bigger than Nitro's, but also looks the same as Behemoth.

An SOB set up would help a lot, but I have a feeling that won't be happening. Either way, I can't imagine there won't be an attendant at the top of the stairs pulsing the line for the entire season anyway, but it is true that if this set up holds, the wait for the back row will definitely be longer than otherwise, but the GP isn't *that* knowledgeable when it comes to the last row, especially if the 2nd to last row has a much smaller wait.

Considering the amount of times I hope to ride D-back anyway, and assuming a short 2nd row wait (which will be almost just as good as the first row), a few less last row rides won't kill me, even though it's the "best" seat.

Pulsing?

Here is what it should kinda look like not sure if its 100% but to give you a map and see if anyone can read the text. I don't have any bigger pictures of this.

slideshow627339trainloagy8.jpg

slideshow630661ridesideqf1.jpg

Look at the middle of the top photo. It appears that area is the queue entry and the stairs that others have marked on the other photos lead up to the station. That's how it looks to me, and if I'm wrong I'll own that.

I think that it might be a spot for an elevator like Maverick and Behemoth because the entrance is stairs not a ramp... but i could be wrong thats just what it looks like to me :) It looks to me that they also might be foregoing a lot of cosmetic things on the station like the dormers but i might be wrong here to because all of that can be added later??

Prob not because that usually by the control room, and if you look at the blueprints there id a box drawn on there right the front of the control room that is prob the "holding cell"! p.s. i hate to say it but those things crack me up, its like kiddie jail and they are always so curious looking in there :)

I wouldn't be so sure about having a "holding cell" for children in the station. I'm pretty sure Cedar Fair is trying to get away from having those. Back in 2007 during Cedar Point's training week, the safety and training manager (the person who can actually claim credit for the Cedar Fair-style Rider Safety Guides at the entrances to each ride) talked about how they didn't approve of the Paramount Parks' method of allowing small children into the line and station. She specifically mentioned Kings Island in her presentation and thoroughly explained how it works at KI. I was actually surprised, in 2007 and 2008, to see those "holding cells" in use.

Based on all of this, I doubt we'll see any new rides built with these kiddie corrals. The park may continue using the ones seen at Vortex, Adventure Express, etc. for now, but with CF's stance on the policy, I doubt they'll be too keen on adding more.

I'm pretty sure the box is the rider exit and the path you have highlighted is another maitainance staircase. Would they really make everyone file past the control booth to leave. I would think you would want as few people in that area as possible so there aren't any obstructions for the operator. Plus it is the same door setup as the entrance you have shown.

I think the box is the elevator bc otherwise they would have drawn a staircase and not a box off the side and if you look at the ground view blueprint there is a wide opening where you would enter an elevator :) And for the theory of not having an exit that goes by the control booth... look at Vortex, Racer, Magnum, Iron Dragon, Mean Streak, Wicked Twister. But doing away with the kiddie jail makes sense!! they are a hassle and do slow down load/unload time.

I remember the "kiddie jail" for The Beast before I was tall enough to ride. I would be very upset that I couldn't ride, but still remember being excited to even be in line and in the station. Not to mention the excitment/dissapointment that came with standing next to the thing that said "you must be this tall to ride The Beast".

I think the box is the elevator bc otherwise they would have drawn a staircase and not a box off the side and if you look at the ground view blueprint there is a wide opening where you would enter an elevator :) And for the theory of not having an exit that goes by the control booth... look at Vortex, Racer, Magnum, Iron Dragon, Mean Streak, Wicked Twister. But doing away with the kiddie jail makes sense!! they are a hassle and do slow down load/unload time.

The reason there are no stairs is because it would make more sense to build a bride over to the existing path at that level. And since there are no stairs leading out of the exit there is no need for an elevator. If there was an elevator that was going to be installed, we would already see the shaft. If that doesn't convince you, why would there be two doors leading to an elevator that would be capable of lifting two people at most? And I know that there are coasters I'm the world that exit right beside the control booth, but that doesn't mean that it's not a safety hazard for riders and the crew. B&M designs their roller coasters to perfection and that means that "little" issues like the operators view of the station are not overlooked.

Does anyone know how big of a ceremony they're planning for when they place the final piece?

Yes ;)

Sorry Terpy couldn't help from stealing your line

Seriously though, I would imagine just a few folks watching probably some from this site and other media outlets. The final piece will more than likely have a banner from Adena and an American flag flying on it when it goes in.

The reason there are no stairs is because it would make more sense to build a bride over to the existing path at that level. And since there are no stairs leading out of the exit there is no need for an elevator. If there was an elevator that was going to be installed, we would already see the shaft. If that doesn't convince you, why would there be two doors leading to an elevator that would be capable of lifting two people at most? And I know that there are coasters I'm the world that exit right beside the control booth, but that doesn't mean that it's not a safety hazard for riders and the crew. B&M designs their roller coasters to perfection and that means that "little" issues like the operators view of the station are not overlooked.

Ahhhhhh!! I had never thought of the bridge idea ;) thats quite a compelling argument now that i look at the blueprints again... hmm... I believe you may be on to something there, i think i agree :) But as to the B&M being too perfect to design the exit next to the control booth, i would debate that for a few reasons- 1. Raptor, exit is very close to the control booth.. not as close as i was saying the blueprint was showing but it is close enough to block the view of the back half of the train!! 2.- I thought that the parks designed the stations including the entrance/exit areas, the only thing they dont control is the track that goes thru the station, security/safety mechanisms, and if needed the floor below the cars (drop floors/ retractable floors). because some coasters have 1 station, some a separate load and unload station!