Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

I really hope they don't have a kiddie corral. When I worked at SoB the only thing holding the gate close was on of those little hitches and the children could easily open it themselves while the train was coming in and we were'nt standing right there watching them. Then we would have to stop the train, go close the gate, and at the same time make sure no one entered through the exit either.

The exit looks a lot like the Batman: The Ride exit at SFGAdv. There is almost like a little "room" or "space" that you go into and I think there is a gate with a little fence as well. And then from there, there is a little bridge like you can see at the bottom of the first blueprint picture. There has to be an elevated path going to the exit for wheel chair access. Right?

Seriously though, I would imagine just a few folks watching probably some from this site and other media outlets. The final piece will more than likely have a banner from Adena and an American flag flying on it when it goes in.

Speculation: Perhaps that's why Ryan's going to the park today? From his Black Hat post dated 1/22:

I'm going to KI tomorrow to get some Diamondback shots. I hope it's not terribly cold out. Historically I've always had good luck. Never been rained on during the offseason.

It Appears that they are doin refurb/renovation on the old Phototorium... possibly the new queue and ride photo building?? :)

Picture_050.jpg

taken on 12-23-2009

what do you think??? do you agree?

He went into the future and took this picture on 12-23-2009? Impressive! :P

I wondered that myself. It could just as well be some scheduled refurbishment, though.

I also have a question about the testing of the ride. When they start testing the ride will the water have to be in the splashdown since it is used partly as the breaks?

No, I actually think that during Halloween Haunt they might drain the water just incase it gets below 32º at night.

New Blog entry by Don Helbig on KIDiamondback.com:

138 up, 3 to go!

1/23/08

One-hundred and thirty-eight pieces of track have been installed on Diamondback, leaving just three pieces (#119, #120 and #129) for workmen to install to complete the track work on Kings Island's new $22 million steel roller coaster.

The final three pieces of track are expected to be installed early next week. Pieces #119 and #120 will be placed after the second helix heading into the splashdown with piece #129 going in just before the breakrun heading into the station.

A plethora of new construction images have been added to the photo gallery, including photos taken from the top of the 230-foot lift hill. Be sure to check them out at http://www.kiDiamondback.com/public/latest/gallery/

Only 84 more days until Opening Day!

Don ststed on January 9th I believe that the train would be arriving soon!!! have we just not seen or been told about their arrival yet or have they not??? I guess it could take quite a while to come from switzerland... I hope we get to see them this week, considering the trackwork will be done i assume they should be here any day now so they can begin putting the on the transfer track after assembly :) and yes i kno they wont be put on the actual track till the electrical work is prob done.

And I think they can test without the water because it wont effect the breaking that much!! the regular breaks have to be equipped to stop the train without the splashdown!!

Diamondback construction tour highlights KICentral's Winter Blues Event

January 24, 2009

One of the top amusement/theme park fan sites in the world - KICentral.com - will have its inaugural Winter Blues event January 31 at Kings Island.

During the event, KIC members will take a tour of Great Wolf Lodge and hear from guest speakers including the site's own Robbie Zerhusen, who will give a presentation on the transition from Coney Island to Kings Island. The highlight of the event will be a construction tour of the new Diamondback roller coaster.

KICentral has more than 3,000 registered members and has been referenced and featured in numerous newspaper, television and radio stories about Kings Island and the amusement/theme park industry. The site attracts thousands of visitors daily.

- Don Helbig

Don ststed on January 9th I believe that the train would be arriving soon!!! have we just not seen or been told about their arrival yet or have they not??? I guess it could take quite a while to come from switzerland... I hope we get to see them this week, considering the trackwork will be done i assume they should be here any day now so they can begin putting the on the transfer track after assembly smile.gif and yes i kno they wont be put on the actual track till the electrical work is prob done.

And I think they can test without the water because it wont effect the breaking that much!! the regular breaks have to be equipped to stop the train without the splashdown!!

As of Friday, the trains were not on site. No one was sure when they were expected.

Haha yay! Go us! lol So does everyone think we could see the final pieces added by monday?

The plan is to complete it Monday or Tuesday, barring outside interferences.