Diamondback Construction Thread (Updated 3-19-09)

BoddaH1994

Wonder why part of the transfer track area to holding area does not have the criss cross supports (X) but the one half does.

The reason being that there will be an access road traveling underneath that portion of track.

What does an access road have to do with support beams that are welded inside the frame of the structure? My guess is that the engineers only called for supports on the one side, do to needing extra support for the transfer point of the trains from one track to another. No need to pay for more steel and installation if not necessary per the engineers.

The roof looks as if it's almost complete!! And the track looks like it has been moved as well. One other thing, will they put a fence around areas like La Rosas , I can't imagine them leaving that open.

Maria

We are not going to be able to see the nice shiny trains when they get them parked in their new home with the roof on. <_<

It is going to be intersting how they integrate the surrounding buildings and Beast entrance with DB.

I couldn't figure out why they were moving it in the first place. The only conclusion I could come up with is they needed to tell the computer where to stop the transfer track at each position. They could use either sensors or timing the motor. Either way, there is a lot of precision needed and what easier way to do it than actually move the track to each position. If anyone has a better idea of why they moved it, please post it. That's the only one I could think of.

Looking back at the artwork/renders for the ride, and comparing that with what they've started around the splashdown, I'm noticing a definite difference.

Granted, there's a long way to go before the landscaping will be 'finished', but it appears that they are going with a boatload more rocks than the renderings showed.

If you look at the section under the track, where it dives into the splashdown, it's nothing but rocks. Small rocks, large rocks, medium rocks... but all rock. If you look at the art renderings, the entire area around the water finale is grass... with large boulders only around the very edge of the splashdown.

I have to say, if this small glimpse that we're seeing now is how the finished product will actually look... I'm definitely pleased with the change.

The splashdown area in the rendered artwork was gorgeous... but with all the grass and shrubbery and what not... it looked far too much like a lagoon, or tropical setting. When I think Diamondback rattlers, and the western theme the park has mentioned for the ride, lots of bright green grass and lush plant life is not the first thing the comes to mind.

I think dirt. Rocks. Land that's a little more barren and worn by the weather. Lots and lots of rocks, with some patches of dry earth peaking through would look infinitely more appropriate to the suggested theme. I'm loving what I'm seeing so far.

Here's hoping they do keep with the occasional boulder peeking out from the middle of the splashdown.

"Looking back at the artwork/renders for the ride, and comparing that with what they've started around the splashdown, I'm noticing a definite difference."

The animation was done by an outside source and was solely based on renderings. The ride's surroundings in the video involved a designer's personal take. The landscape, outside of the stream leading to the splashdown, was probably not even decided at that time.

I've not explored it, but the animation looks to have been done by Keith McVeen. I knew Keith back when he ran "Badnitrus." He would develop 3D renderings of existing rides that were simply amazing. They were so good, in fact, that it led to his being hired by several parks to do animation for future attractions in development. Among them... Paramount's Kings Island. At that time, Keith was in college. I believe he eventually graduated with a degree in Engineering, and now has his own business within the Amusement Industry doing more of the same. The last website of his that I ever saw was:

http://www.3dvip.com/

He did the animation for Maverick at Cedar Point, so I'd be shocked if the Diamondback animation was not his.

Back to the topic at hand...

If you pay close attention to the current work being done in the splashdown area, you'll first notice that hard plastic pool liner has been laid prior to the rock-bedding. The reason for this, rather than just "grass", is an obvious one. It's so that the water will find it's way back to the splashdown pool to help keep the water table at the necessary level.

"I wonder if they will connect this "creek" with the old one that use to run under the little bridge."

It appears so, and would make obvious sense. The "old one" that ran under the bridge was recirculated from the Swan Lake Pond waters that were pumped to the top. The only thing that may not allow a connection of the two, would be an access road/path to the station. I personally think the creek will be coneected.

Shaggy

The splashdown area in the rendered artwork was gorgeous... but with all the grass and shrubbery and what not... it looked far too much like a lagoon, or tropical setting. When I think Diamondback rattlers, and the western theme the park has mentioned for the ride, lots of bright green grass and lush plant life is not the first thing the comes to mind.

It could be considered an Oasis in the middle of the desert.

I'm very confident in the fact that that is a footer for a light, because I asked a question during the Party concerning the onride photo. Don said that the cameras would most likely be at the bottom of the second hill because that's where he said the riders would be caught by surprise by the force of the drop.